i'm probably fine, but want opinions. extra long primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number68

Reaction score
so, i was originally planning to let my beer (spiced belgian) age in primary for an extra week or 2 after hitting my fg. hit my fg on 11/16, was gonna bottle on 11/23. but here it is 2 weeks later, and my beer is still sitting in the bucket.

i haven't wanted to open and check it until I finally get around to bottling to minimize any extra risk of contamination, but do you guys think it will be ok? i should be able to bottle within the next day or so.

It is fine, in fact Belgians really like some extra time in the fermenter. I don't even look at mine until at least 4-6 weeks.

When did it start fermenting?

-but yes, definitely bottle it and it should be fine if not better for a (I'm guessing) 4 week fermentation.

I think it's really important to leave the beer on the yeast for a week or two after FG- really helps the yeast clean up after themselves and helps out with yeast character, which is really important for belgians especially. You wouldn't have any problems leaving the beer on the yeast for months at a time, and many folks around here consider 1 month a minimum. You're good!

Unless you brewed that beer back in May, dont worry about it. Extra-long (less than 6 months for normal gravity) primaries are good for beer, not bad. In fact, some people would say that you can leave the beer in primary for longer than that!

picthed on 11/4, was going full force by the night of the 5th, so yea, roughly 4week fermentation.

so at this point, just mix up my bottling sugar, rack to the bottling bucket, bottle, and forget for a few weeks?

Back