I'm pouring 90% gas, 10% foam...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattman91

Reaction score
What is up with this?

Here is my set up:

PXL_20211124_204647353.jpg

I have been using picnic taps since I started kegging and decided to turn my fermentation chamber into a dual-use kegerator. I bought an Intertap faucet and I'm running 6 feet of 3/16 ID beer line to the keg.

Last week I was ready to try my first pour from my Porter that I brewed, but I got about 60% foam and 40% liquid for my first few pours. I was serving at about 10 PSI, so I lowered in to 5-6 like I would do with the picnic tap. That helped for one or two pours.

A few days later, I go to pour a glass and I get nothing but gas and a little foam. My first thought was, hmmm, maybe I'm out of CO2. Turns out I was.

Today I hooked up a new tank and the same thing is happening. Nearly everything that comes out is air (or CO2?). I have no idea what is causing this.

I doubt it matters, but I am serving out of the fermenting keg with a floating dip tube.

It could be the floating dip tube has worked itself into a position where the tube opening is above liquid level. How long was the dip tube? It should only just touch the bottom of the keg when installed.
You could tryrotating the keg or inverting it to try and correct the float/tube.

It could be the floating dip tube has worked itself into a position where the tube opening is above liquid level. How long was the dip tube? It should only just touch the bottom of the keg when installed.
You could tryrotating the keg or inverting it to try and correct the float/tube.

The keg is three gallons and the dip tube is the standard size for a 5 gallon, so it should be fine. I don't really want to invert the keg because I fermented in it so there is obviously trub at the bottom.

From my very recent experience, if it pours well (but slow) with barely no pressure, and it pours foam at serving pressure, it's related to the length of your tubing.

If it pours only foam at every pressure, it may be overcarbed, your line can be dirty, your tap can be too hot (cold beer warm tap=foam), or your beer can be too warm.

From my very recent experience, if it pours well (but slow) with barely no pressure, and it pours foam at serving pressure, it's related to the length of your tubing.

If it pours only foam at every pressure, it may be overcarbed, your line can be dirty, your tap can be too hot (cold beer warm tap=foam), or your beer can be too warm.

Interesting.

I never thought of over carbonation being an issue, but this may be my problem. I tried to burst carbonate it to be ready for Thanksgiving. The little bit if liquid I got out was definitely over -carbed when the foam receded. It even had that distinct carbonic bite smell to it.

If this is the case, of I disconnect the gas, vent out all of the CO2, it should fix the issue?

There are a few possibilities that I can think of:
1. The beer's overcarbonated. It'll pour foamy but settle a bit flat.
2. Beer line's too short (same result as 1).
3. Floating dip tube isn't sitting below beer level (sucking some CO2).
4. Damaged O-ring on liquid dip tube (same result as 3).

For 3 and 4 - grab a new o-ring and a small weight and zip-tie (or similar). Connect gas to the gas-out with a very low pressure. Vent the headspace. Remove the liquid post and dip tube (there should be a steady flow of CO2 out of the liquid post hole to minimise O2 ingress). Replace the O-ring on the liquid dip tube and attach the small weight to the floating tube with the zip-tie (or whatever else you want to use) to make sure it stays below the float. Re-attach the liquid tube and post.

For 1: leave the beer for a day or two without the gas attached. Attach a gauge and see what the pressure is. If it's high, vent it every 12 hours or so until it balances at the pressure you want.

The keg is three gallons and the dip tube is the standard size for a 5 gallon, so it should be fine. I don't really want to invert the keg because I fermented in it so there is obviously trub at the bottom.

I think if you have the line for the floating dip tube too long, that's bad too. It can get tangled. For a 3 gallon keg you should cut it.

It should only just touch the bottom of the keg when installed.
The keg is three gallons and the dip tube is the standard size for a 5 gallon, so it should be fine

never used a floating dip tube. but that seemed weird.

FWIW, i use 10ft for 3/16" vinyl line, and 10psi....

Latest posts

Back