I'm Charles from Central NY (Syracuse)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charles Shyne

Reaction score
I am very new and looking to get into home brew. My favorite types of beer are stouts, porters and scotch ales. I'm looking forward to starting and am interested in All grain brew in a bag. Any tips are welcome. In the stage of figuring out what I need.

Welcome, I was in SYR last week. Got my snow driving chops back... WOB at the mall was cool while waiting for a flight...

Biab is an awesome way to go. Figure out how you’re going lift/drain/squeeze the bag. Highly recommend wilser bag and ratchet combo - just install an eye bolt/hook into a strong overhead.

Might want to consider a full boil extract porter as a first brew to get the general post mash technique down. It’ll give you a delicious brew without worrying about mash efficiency, ph or water profile.

Almost forgot: don’t buy a small kettle. I like my 44qt bayou classic. You can spend a lot more but this one works well for me...

Last edited:
Thanks Griffi! We will have to catch a brew next time at WOB! Do you by chance have a recipe with instructions on can look over of a porter ? I was thinking of getting a 10gallon as brewing kettle.

Thanks Griffi! We will have to catch a brew next time at WOB! Do you by chance have a recipe with instructions on can look over of a porter ? I was thinking of getting a 10gallon as brewing kettle.
When I started 2.5 yrs ago I bought a cheap starter kit online at Midwestsupplies and it came with a kit called power pack porter - it was great!

When I started 2.5 yrs ago I bought a cheap starter kit online at Midwestsupplies and it came with a kit called power pack porter - it was great!
Awesome !! Will take a look.

Welcome to the forum Charles! I'm from Canandaigua, NY myself 1-1.5 hours away. I have been using the BIAB method for a couple of years now and love it! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

I am not sure how far of a drive Phelps, NY is for you, but our small home brew club (Finger Lakes Fermentation League FLxFL) meets a week from today at Crafty Ales & Lagers (every 3rd Thursday of the month). If you want & can make it out, come join us next week!

Cheers and welcome to the obsession! :mug:

Cheers from Oneonta, NY.
I take classes on-line at O.C.C. and come out to Syracuse for concerts occasionally. Love it there.
Welcome!

Welcome from Long Island. As far as your first BIAB Porter, did were you thinking of an all grain kit, or did you want a recipie? Many places online with recipies to follow, with that said, your local HB shop likely stocks some kits. Have fun, and I agree the wilserbag is a good investment, wish I had gotten mine sooner than I did.

Back