I'm an idiot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GySgtLynn

Reaction score
Drank too many beers while brewing last night. Had about 15 minutes left in the boil..fell asleep in my chair... woke up ran outside and noticed the time. I have done my first and last 5 hour boil... I boiled from 13 gallons down to 5.. FML.

Was gonna be an IPA.. after the F&*k up i put 2.5 gallons of high gravity wort (1.110) in each fermentor and topped off with water... It will be interesting to see how it tastes.

I hope it wasn't an IPA with a ton of aroma additions. That may end up too bitter to handle. Id still drink it. :mug:

I'd be very interested in seeing how this turns out. Keep this thread updated!

EDIT: Ha, you just posted before me, I guess it was an IPA. Still keep us updated! What was the original recipe and what was "your" recipe?

This reminds me of what I read of the Burton breweries. They used to boil for some 3 hours! Maybe you just Burtonized your IPA?!

Don't beat yourself up too much,gunny. It happens sometimes. Kinda like when I came up with a recipe after some research for my wife's summer ale clone. It wasn't until I was pouring it into the fermenter that I'd forgotten the grains of paradise. Doh!

Original recepie was:
Planned
22 lbs 2 row
2 lbs munich
1.5 crystal 60 L
3 oz Columbus 60
2 oz Centennial 15
1 oz columbus 15
2oz centennial 5
1 oz columbus 5
WLP001

Reality
22 lbs 2 row
2 lbs munich
1.5 crystal 60 L
3 oz Columbus 5 hours
2 oz Centennial 5 min
1 oz columbus 5 min
2oz centennial 5 min
1 oz columbus 5 min
WLP001

The reality version does bring a question to mind. A 5 hour bittering phase...would anything above,say,90 minutes start to break down the bittering qualities of the now over-boiled lupulin's?

It's probably going to taste like you are chewing on a glass of raw hops. Sounds delicious!!

I didn't take an OG after I topped off just because I know it wasn't mixed well enough for it to be accurate...

We boil most pilsners for three hours and porter four hours. You made a condensed wort. That would have been velvety smooth, tight bubble, natural carmel and melanoidin. I wouldn't have added 1.110 wort on top of the already high gravity wort. Maybe I would have thinned it with some RO to gain volume. Then taste it to see what bittering was left, or if it was scorched. If it wasn't scorched, I would have left it as is and whacked it with starter.

Drank too many beers while brewing last night. Had about 15 minutes left in the boil..fell asleep in my chair... woke up ran outside and noticed the time. I have done my first and last 5 hour boil... I boiled from 13 gallons down to 5.. FML.

:D I'm sorry, but I laughed when I read this. Who knows, it could end up being a great brew.

Patience is always rewarded with good beer. FYL? No, Eff the lives of us who are but too weak in the hollow of our souls to brew so patiently withal.

One of the burners that I use is a turkey deep fryer that I bought. It has a timer the you have to push every 15 minutes or else it'll shut off. I thought this was the useless feature. But it might help out...

Something along those lines happened to me once.

I had just moved into a new place (4 girls on Cragislist looking to fill a room). I think I moved over the Thursday and Friday, and decided to brew on the Friday night, which they were cool with. I didn't start brewing until around 8:30 because I didn't want to tie up the whole stove and kitchen while everyone tried to make dinner. I think it was around 1:00 when I was nearing the end of my boil. I too had been drinking, and while I wasn't anywhere near blackout drunk, I had had a few (that's the rule: you have to drink beer while you make beer). I should also mention that in the preceding days I had been up pretty late packing and getting ready to move out of the old place, so I was pretty tired. So... I'm half-cut, dead tired, it's 1:00 in the morning and I have two 5 gallon pots boiling away on the stove. I'm getting ready to put the Irish moss and wort-chiller in and I decided to sit down on the couch for 5 minutes. Since I'm smart, I set the alarm on my phone to alert me, just in case I forget (or heaven forbid, nod off for a sec).

Well, fast forward to me waking up on said couch at 7:00 the next morning. Thankfully, a couple of my roommates had come down sometime in the next half-hour or hour and turned the stove off. They tried waking me up, but when I'm tired and/or have been drinking, nothing short of an explosion will wake me up (and if it does, I'll probably punch it in the face and go back to sleep). So fortunately the pots weren't boiling all night (and I didn't end up with the same problem as the OP). I was a little worried about infection, but didn't want to toss a whole batch so I brought the pots back to a boil, and probably boiled them for around 30 - 45 minutes, then chilled and pitched as usual.

The beer didn't end up too bad either. It was an Irish Red Ale, and while it did taste a bit off, that could have been from fermentation temps or any other factor as much as my "unconventional" brewing method. And thankfully, the new roommates weren't even really pissed off (at least not outwardly). I think it was just a bit startling and probably a little weird for them. And I'm sure any repeats would not have been treated nearly as well.

partial boil flashback :mug:

Well I finally got around to kegging/carbing this beer... The verdict... Very bitter up front but, not unpalatable... warm alcohol heat in the middle (but still malty) and it finishes a touch sour. Very drinkable however, It's not a beer to say you have to try this to a friend.

Back