I'll welcome advice, suggestions, and guesses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan300man

Reaction score
Target finished batch size is 2 gallons
OG was 1.050 at 70 degrees with floating hydrometer. 3 gallon Alum pot.
2 lbs of 2-row, unknown
I lb Maris Otter 2-row
10 oz Crystal malt
Held at 154 degrees for approx. 55-60 minutes in approx. 1.5 gallons.
Sparge with 156 degree water, approx. ½ gallon.
Wort Boil: 60 minutes
8 oz CBW_Briess Sparkling Amber DME 45 minutes
6 oz Carlson Maltodextrin- 45 minutes
½ oz Chinook pellets 12%AA 60 minutes
¼ oz Cascade pellets 6.4% AA last 20 minutes
¼ oz Cascade pellets last 2 minutes
1/2 oz Cascade pellets after heat turnoff.
Muntons dry Ale yeast.
Added 3/8 gallon bottled water to top of at 2 gallons for fermentation.

I started seeing bubbles in the airlocks at 10 hours. I pulled together several receipes for APAs and IPAs to find the common characteristics of hoppy Pale Ales, and came up with this one. Given the OG of 1.050, How do I figure out how well the extraction process worked, and what to expect down the road?

If you put the grain/malt bill into brewers friend calculator it comes up with 50% efficiency at 1.050 OG. That includes adding top off water. It will probably end up in the mid to upper 1.01X range giving you a 4.5% ABV. The maltodextrin kills you there since it's not fermentable. It will probably be heavy but the IBUs come out to around 67 which should offset that a little.

Thanks. I saw bubbling within 12 hours, a bubble about every 1 or 2 seconds, and saw some foam created, but it has basically stopped at the 24 hour mark. Not sure what to think.

For future batches, I will cut back on the maltodextrin and bittering hops depending on how this turns out.
I'll also start with more strike water to reduce the amount of topp-off at the end, and use a higher temp sparge. I think I can do a better job with the initial mash with a new larger nylon bag to get a higher efficiency.

Latest posts

Back