Igloo Industrial 5 Gallon Beverage Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Company Website - http://www.igloocommercial.com/products/WaterCoolers/400Series/177/
Manufacturer - Igloo
Igloo delivers cold, clean water. Rugged, durable Igloo 400 Series Industrial Strength Water Coolers keep water cold, clean and available. Built for the Real World, the 400 Series takes the abuse of the toughest job site and the most punishing work crews. Red and Yellow high visibility safety colors. HDPE hide won't chip, peel, buckle or rust. Ultratherm insulation for maximum cold retention. UV stabilizers prevent fading, cracking in all exposures. White FDA Grade inner liner is easy to clean and resists stains and odors. Wide mouth pressure fit lid for easy filling. Keeper cord prevents lid loss. Reinforced handles and cup dispenser bracket. "Drinking Water" imprint meets OSHA requirements. All parts are replaceable for extended life.
Features:
* UV Inhibitors
* Accessories Available
* Spigot
* Handles - Reinforced handles and dispenser bracket
Specifications:
* Size - L9.25" x W16.6"
* Capacity - 5 Gal. (18.9L)

Bought the cooler from CraigsList, but had to be patient for one to come up for sale. Converted to MLT with instructions at http://blog.bisticlz.com/?p=160
I am not mechanically inclined but was able to put this together easily. Simple yet effective stainless steel braid. Getting 75-80% efficiency with grain purchased from Brew Masters Warehouse. $30 including buying the cooler and the equipment to convert. Volume graduations on the inside plastic are great, but hard to read with steam from strike water.
Price Payed: $30.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: 75-80% efficiency, Cheap Easy to convert to MLT, Inside is marked with volume graduations.
Cons: Inside plastic has started to warp from the heat. Can only mash up to about 12 to 13 pounds of grain.

The Igloo industrial 5 gal is working well. I added a valve and bazooka screen purchased from Williams, which fits perfectly. The cooler retains heat well. I like the interior gallon markings.
The cover does not stay down all the way. It closes enough to keep heat in, although I do put a blanket over the top as insurance against heat loss.
Price Payed: $39.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Retains hear well
Has gal markings inside
sturdy handles
Cons: top does not fit all the way

Igloo 5 gallon drinking water cooler (Lowe's branded) my 1st LMT. Works great!
Price Payed: $23.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Holds heat well, easily converted
Cons: too small for more than 13 lb grain bills

The cooler was very easy to convert to an MLT. I brew small batch (2.5 gallon), no sparge, so the 5 gallon is perfect for my needs. I haven't brewed any big beers yet, but when I do I can just add a sparge step.
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Holds temps well. Perfect size for small batch, no sparge brewing.
Cons: Might be too small for most 5-gallon batch all-grain brewers.

It works well if you are just looking to do a five gallon batch. It is quick and easy. During the summer it even holds temps well.
Price Payed: $1.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Its super easy to use
Cons: dont plan on making any huge batches

Plenty of good options for coolers out there, but this one I liked because of size and shape that is good for both batch and fly sparging (although I only batch sparge). Cheap, easy to build, and fun. Lots of "aftermarket" parts available
smile.gif

Price Payed: $29.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Fun to build
Good base to start AG brewing
Cons: small-ish
top doesn't hold heat well

Try and go with ss steel, more expensive and more of a pain but plastic will work until you upgrade
Price Payed: $60.00
Recommended? No
Pros: Holds heat very well easy to clean
Cons: It's plastic, although it's for drinking water, hot water could leach in chemicals

I've been using this product for at least 4 years and have trouble finding a reason to upgrade. It's fine for 5 gallon batches with 13#'s of grain, or less. I've added a spigot and a false bottom and a sprinkler arm for sparge water from Listerman. According to BeerSmith my 'efficiecy into boiler' is 77%. My biggest problem is getting the strike water temp right. The BeerSmith program has a recommended temp for this item but I found I had to add water 10 degrees hotter than the program recommended to hit my desired mash temp. It can sqeeze into a standard utility sink for easy cleaning. Did I mention that it is mighty affordable?
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Affordable option for a starting new AG brewer. Holds heat well enough. You can add a spigot and false bottom. Can fit into a standard utility sink for cleanup.
Cons: Max grain capacity is about 13#. Gotta have your infusion water temp right because raising or lowering mash temp is problematic.

This works great for 5 gallon batches that don't require more than 12 or 13lbs of grain. More than than and you just can't fit enough water to make a good grain:water ratio. Needs to be preheated or use higher temp strike water because the insulation will absorb a lot of heat. Spigot unscrews and is easily replaced with a ball valve without further modification. Mine has a stainless braided hose attached to the valve. I did a double decoction and sparged an 80% wheat mash without rice hulls or other filler with no problems.
Price Payed: $25.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Holds constant temperature pretty well. Spigot easily replaced.
Cons: Cannot mash more than ~13lbs grain at once.

Its an economical way to try all-grain without investing alot of money!!
Price Payed: $19.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: low cost i went to menards and bought stuff to change it into mash tun
Cons: cant add heat without adding more water

hexcellente
Price Payed: $0.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: great
Cons: none

Picked up parts for conversion at Lowe's for about $25. cooler was $25. Use as mash tun or hot liquor tank. Used homebrew wikipedia for conversion instructions.
Price Payed: $50.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: use as mash tun after conversion
Cons: none

I found this cooler at a flea market and thought I should upgrade to All Grain. This keeps mash as strike temps for just about 60 mins if you dont remove the lid. Makes mashing very easy with the cooler valve mod.
Price Payed: $20.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Keeps a very steady temp
Cons: can get heavy to move when full

I used simple parts purchased from home depot and following instructions from a homebrewtalk post.
Price Payed: $100.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Holds mash temp well
Cons: I'll use a Coleman extreme next time

I assembled my own conversion kit to replace the stock plastic spigot, with washers and brass spigot and the like, thinking I could do it cheaper than a commercial kit. I was wrong. Get a stainless steel conversion kit and call it good - you'll spend less time dinking around at Home Depot, and more time brewing beer.
Price Payed: $20.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Great starter MLT.
Cons: Too small to mash more than about 12lbs grain, limiting the brewer to smaller beers.

I have the 10gal version of this cooler, and it meets all of my needs. Cost listed includes false bottom and other hardware. Came pre-assembled by my LHBS. Although I brew only 5gal batches now, I find that I do not have a problem losing heat due to the extra head space. Also, the added room has helped with doing double infusion mashes for wheat beers (Double infusion is limited to light bodied beers, as raising the temp is an issue with coolers). The inside has yet to warp, unlike tuns owned by some of my friends (cheaper, non-industrial coolers). This tun is easy to clean, and the only dings in it are caused by my mash paddle. My temperature holds very well, and I never seem to lose a degree. Definitely worth the buy.
Price Payed: $130.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Easy to clean and maintain, Nice large size. So far, no modification to help maintain mash temp, since it holds temp perfectly.
Cons: A cooler is tricky to use for anything other than single infusion mashes. I have done some double infusions (with success), but I am limited to mostly light-bodied beers.

My cooler is outfitted with a bazooka screen for filtering, and therefore achieves better efficiency by batch sparging instead of fly sparging.
Price Payed: $1.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Easy to use, very portable
Cons: Size limits me to 5 gallon batches

This is a very simple way to mash at a steady temperature and works very well. With a false bottom installed, lautering is very easy and efficiency is always 75% or better. Websites offer complete kits up to $200; build your own using parts at hardware store is much cheaper - and no shipping cost!
Price Payed: $100.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Retains steady temperature and perfect for making 5 gallon batches.
Cons: None.

Latest posts

Back