Igloo cooler mod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txtaquito

Reaction score
Added re-circulation for vorlauf on my 10gal cooler. Havent seen anything like it so it was a challenge. Havent used it yet to test how well it works but there are no leaks! :} Apparently, all Im really short is an external heat element to turn it into a RIMS but for now this will work

Cheers ~

20151211_152614.jpg

20151211_152749.jpg

Nice mod! Let us know how the full solution works out when you get a chance to brew with it.
:mug:

Interesting, I was thinking of something along those lines awhile back but never went anywhere with it, should work well for a HERMS system. Subscribed.

Yea my tubing is getting aged. Thats why I used this tube because it was the oldest and most discolored so I didnt mind chopping it up. Thanks for the link. I live less than a mile from my brew supply store and while slightly more expensive, cant beat the convenience!

Added re-circulation for vorlauf on my 10gal cooler. Havent seen anything like it so it was a challenge.
Old school galvanized Igloo with a stainless liner and similar re-circulation setup. I have a RIMS tube that I'll use for step mashing, but the Igloo holds temperature well for single infusion batch sparge.

MLT_Igloo_01.jpg

I did something similar last month. I was thinking about a rims setup, but I don't care much about step mashing, and the loss of temp during re-circulation doesn't seem to be a concern. If I move to a stainless mash tun that doesn't hold temps well I would need the rims tube. http://youtu.be/FLhvtD_jxlg

So I ran a batch yesterday and let it run for about 30 minutes (because wife made me run to the store to grab something). When I got back, it was running like literally crystal clear. Its a lighter saison ale anyway but I was blown away by the clarity. This setup works GREAT!

20160102_182401.jpg

Back