If You Had to Choose Two Yeasts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMesick

Reaction score
If you had to choose just two yeasts from which to make most of your beers, what would they be? I keep a yeast bank in my fridge (actually just bottles of generic homebrew made from my two strains, labeled and used exclusively as "starter paks" for my batches). It's simple, saves 5 bucks a shot, and has worked great. I limit myself to two, just to keep them fresh. And so I have chosen Wyeast 1098 (British Ale) and 2308 (Munich Lager). The 1098 was a safe choice and has worked as expected. The 2308 was a bit riskier, but hey, I love Bavarian beers. I have made helles, Vienna, and doppelbock, and no sign of the Dread Diacetyl Effect. But I'm interested if anyone else has given this some thought--and what you chose (or would choose, if forced to).

Definitely Notty (or US-05) for one. 1098 would be a good choice for the second.

I've heard and read folks talk about kolsch yeast, but I have never used it. Someone even mentioned using it for a helles. How far could one push it (in terms of styles)? Is it less finicky than 2308?

I've heard and read folks talk about kolsch yeast, but I have never used it. Someone even mentioned using it for a helles. How far could one push it (in terms of styles)? Is it less finicky than 2308?

I've only used it to make kolsch but it think it's fairly neutral tasting and can be used to make both lagers and ales. temp wise it's very versatile.

And so I have chosen Wyeast 1098 (British Ale) and 2308 (Munich Lager).

I chose 2308 for my house lager strain as well. I like the profile, and I have a good source for clean slurry from a local brewery. :mug:

I have a yeast experiment going right now with S-04, 1098, 1968, and 1028 to determine my house ale strain.

Nic--

I'd like to hear the results of your ale yeast experiment. My goal is good "session beers"--not beers-as-cocktails. So milds, special bitters, brown ales, etc.

+1 for wlp001 haven't kept anything else around though I would like to keep a few more in the future.

Belgian Ale Blend and American Ale Blend, both from White Labs.

2 is kinda hard, I could totally narrow it down to 3. But I'll just say the 2 and mention the last one.

WLP023 Burton Ale: I use this for nearly all my English beers, which is most of what I brew
WLP530 Abby Ale: I love this strain for Belgians, and use it for every one.

The third on the list would be WLP037 Yorkshire Square Ale: I use the Burton for all my bitters/pales, but prefer the 037 for all my darker beers, it is the mutts nutts.

US-05 and S-04 if I was limited to just two strains, since they'll handle anything American and English. Wyeast Koelsch would be next in line.

Back