If you had $20,000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estocker

Reaction score
If you had $20,000 to start a 50 Gallon Microbrewery kitchen, how would you set it up?

I could really use some suggestions and layout ideas as I've only been brewing 5-10 gallons and am now in the position of having a designated brewing kitchen (500 square feet of space).

My goal is to pump out three 15.5 kegs per session, so the equipment should be able to brew up to about 50 gallons at a time.

Throw me some sweet brewery layout ideas if you've got em. Thanks guys!

The very first thing I would worry about is how are you going to control fermenation temps. You will need to build some sort of fermentation room/chambers. I would also install a tankless water heater it will let you have unlimited hot cleaning water. It will also come in handy for your strike/sparge water. You will also need a walk in cooler of some sort to keep all the beer cold. I would also want floor drains.

The very first thing I would worry about is how are you going to control fermenation temps. You will need to build some sort of fermentation room/chambers. I would also install a tankless water heater it will let you have unlimited hot cleaning water. It will also come in handy for your strike/sparge water. You will also need a walk in cooler of some sort to keep all the beer cold. I would also want floor drains.

A regular water heater would be more than fine for cleaning purposes. AS for fermentation, kegs fit inside of chest freezers so thats really not much of an issue either. And why does he need a walk in cooler to keep it cold? once it's brewed it doesn't need to be chilled til it's time to drink it?

I'm a newb so I don't know much but I see some guys with some pretty sweet computerized setups to monitor everything. are you doing this just for you or ultimately are you looking to sell your product?

i guess it depends if you want to brew outside or inside the house (choice between electric and gas fired system) also im guessing its still a hobby and not a plan for business as 20k would be eaten by rent and fees before you done setting up actual brewery

A regular water heater would be more than fine for cleaning purposes. AS for fermentation, kegs fit inside of chest freezers so thats really not much of an issue either. And why does he need a walk in cooler to keep it cold? once it's brewed it doesn't need to be chilled til it's time to drink it?

The OP is talking about brewing 50 gallons at a time. Do you know how long it would take to get say 30 gallons of strike water to temperature with either a electric heating element or direct fire? A long time. You could use a tankless water heater and get 160 degree water at 3 gpm
You could ferment in sanke kegs but need 4 of them for a 50 gallon batch, plus you will need to pump in and out of them unless you have a chain hoist.
Do you really want to keep your fresh beer at room temperature for weeks or even longer if you want to age it?

This will be part of a large commercial kitchen facility so the basics like floor drains, refrigerators (walk-ins and large temp controlled freezers) and hot water is completely taken care of. I'm more worried about what sort of equipment would be ideal and how the floor plan would be most efficient.

So you're adding a microbrewery to, say a commercial restaurant kitchen? Have you reviewed the Health department requirements if you're selling your product, as well as the tax requirements for the local and state government? Sorry for the wet blanket, just want to keep you out of jail :)

20K would be a tight budget, but with an existing building all you would really need is a brewhouse, a hood, a temp controlled area for fermentation and a cold room or refrigeration for aging/dispensing the beer.
Usually restaurants are already cramped, and 20k would eat up the budget just to add a room. It could be done though.

Additional heating elements and liquid storage may require additional fire control systems, floor drains, etc. There might be some health code issues with installing more equipment in a commercial kitchen. Additionally you are probably looking at burning a lot of cash on licenses and taxes. Even if you are giving away beer from the kitchen you are likely still required to obtain permits and pay taxes.

Unless it's a lager, sure. It would harm nothing.

Exactly! Regarding your point about a tankless water heater my point was really more or less that it doesn't have to be a tankless water heater there are natural gas water heaters that do 50 gallons and now that he mentions he is in a restaurant setting, it's probably a non issue

Unless it's a lager, sure. It would harm nothing.

Absolutely untrue. Heat damages all kinds of flavor compounds (not least of which hop flavor and aroma). That's why you don't cellar beer or wine at room temperature (55F is more like it). Read the front of a bottle of Pliny the Elder sometime, it will school you on the importance of keeping beer cold during storage. In fact, Russian River won't allow a store to carry/sell Pliny the Elder unless they can prove they have the refrigeration space to keep the beer cold at all times.

Thanks for the legal advice, everything is taken care of we are just expanding the existing brew area. Just looking for cool equipment setup ideas for 50 gallon batches. I've never used a setup larger than for 15 gallon home brewing.

So you're adding a microbrewery to, say a commercial restaurant kitchen? Have you reviewed the Health department requirements if you're selling your product, as well as the tax requirements for the local and state government? Sorry for the wet blanket, just want to keep you out of jail :)

Really??!!!

Thanks for the legal advice, everything is taken care of we are just expanding the existing brew area. Just looking for cool equipment setup ideas for 50 gallon batches. I've never used a setup larger than for 15 gallon home brewing.

Probrewer.com might be the better place to ask these questions, not sure many people are brewing on that scale here. Good Luck.

I don't know how much you plan on brewing but you might just want to brew say 25 gallon batches. Yes you will have to brew twice as much but you will at least have two styles of beers. 50 gallons of one style of beer is a lot... something like 400 pints. Since you said you were upgrading your current brew area how much are you brewing right now?

JoshuaW said:
I was just going to reference that thread, but if he is expanding an existing brewhouse, I would assume he knows the pitfalls.

I would look around at existing 2bbl setups. There are several turnkey options that you could purchase or use for ideas.

Oops...guess I missed that...

Sorry to waste your time dude.

Thanks. I think I'll see what Probrewer has to say.

I'm taking the idea of brewing a little less and just doing it more often into consideration. It might be nice to get more brewing time in.

Talk to the guys at Sabco (BrewMagic), they hinted recently they had a 2 bbl system in the final stages of testing. Might be a new option in the nano brewing market. Not sure about price, but as you know, it never hurts to look into everything.

The stout tank's 3bbl system with three fermenters prices out at 14K, but you would need to figure out a way to fire the system. The Julian brewing company just started with a 3.5bbl system form these guys, you should take a trip out there and check it out. see how they like it. I think they have done a couple brews on it so far. Also check out Portland kettle works, they build a nice 3bbl system for ~11k, and glacer tanks has 3bbl fermenters for ~3k each.

best of luck.

If you arent opposed, a 4 vessel system (2 mash tuns, 2 HLT's) will allow you to simultaneously brew 2 batches to fill fermenters. HDPE conicals are the way to cut costs for ferm vessels, you could build a cold room using some window ac units or look into used walk ins at restaurant supply places. Lots of options for a rig really, but with some DIY work you could set something up.

Oh you are in Chico, for some reason I read Chino.Forget about going to Julian to check out their 3bbl brewery.

Where in Chico is this going to be?

As for your water, 165-170 should be good a single infusion mash, but for sparging I think you will need to get it up to 180º. What kind of water heater do you have? is it a tank? if it is it will need to be larger than 100 gallon if you want to brew 3bbl's. With a commercial tankless you can get all the water you need for mashing and sparging, and have greater control of the temp water you are using.

Latest posts

Back