If there were no homebrew/micro/craft?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you still drink if there were no homebrew/micros/craft?

• No, I wouldn't drink.

• Yes, I'd drink BMC regularly.

• Yes, I'd drink BMC, but only for the buzz/drunk.

• Yes, but I'd stick with wine/liquor.

• I'll have what Ralph Nader is having.

Results are only viewable after voting.

desiderata

Reaction score
If you couldn't have access to drink any of the good stuff, would you drink BMC or not?

I drink because I like beer, not because I like to be drunk. BMC is there for getting wasted off cheap swill, no thanks.

Yep, I'd drink BMC. You wouldn't know there was something better if it didn't exist. Fast rewind back to the 80's for me since there wasn't much in the US but BMC.

I am a pisshead. always have been. genetics. I will drink good beer then I would drink less good beer. I do have a limit though! Will not drink crap light beer.

:tank:

Drinking beer for the taste is all fine and well, but a buzz is nice.

Whiskey, jaeger, and wine. i can barely choke down BMC. I thought i was just doing that mentally--like i'm a beer snob or something. Until recently, where i had a couple of BMC's and realized, i really really really hate those beers. Munich and homebrew have spoiled me.

I would beer BMC to get drunk or at a party. For social drinking I would go for the hard stuff. Sause loves him some Vodka Lemonades and Whiskey Sours. Tullamore Dew and Crown Royal are the Whiskey of choice.

I drank BMC (and Gennie Cream Ale) in college, mixed drinks while in the Navy, switched to wine in the '80s, got bored with wine and more or less stopped drinking until the craft beer movement started. I'd probably drink much less without craft beers. Wine is a real PITA when there's just one person, it's always weird the second night.

Hell, I can enjoy a budweiser anytime. I like the damn beer. Would I choose it over a microbrew? Not a chance, but I'd be happy with a couple tallboys of Budweiser on a Wednesday night. No way in hell I would drink any light beer, MGD, Coors or anything else... just budweiser.

I'd be drinking a lot of Molson (my old favorite and still a guilty pleasure), but would probably be drinking a lot more wine as well. My overall consuption, though, would be a lot lower. Before I got into homebrewing, I didn't really drink all that much, I'm not sure it would be any different if micros and homebrewing suddenly did not exist.

I'll drink whatever is available. In the summer, I like foofy drinks on the porch. I don't think I can return to a life without Maker's Mark. I'd gladly take a few MM's on the rocks any night.

It keeps me away from the hard stuff, like single malt scotch. A $25 bottle of Maker's is much easier to replace than a $100 of Johnny Blue.

I didn't drink beer until I discovered the good stuff, so I know I wouldn't be drinking BMC even if nothing else was available. Plus there are some pretty good red wines and whiskeys available that are worth drinking on occasion.

Craig

oh tequila,
i turn to you like a long lost friend
i want to kiss my mexican cousin
once again

oh cover every emotion
from happiness to sorrow
and the converstations i forget
will tell me about tomorrow

when the phone calls come
am i in bed or in a hearse
the things you tell me about myself
can make me feel any worse

well im awful sorry you got pissed
just have to cross you off the list,
of my true friends
and tequilla is where it starts and where it ends

Brewpastor said:
A bullet to the head.

Actually, I'd go for the whiskeys, rye and bourbon particularly, toss in some dark rum and a few martinis. But I have a hard time imagining getting much yard work done with a rake in one hand and a highball in the other!

im not a big fan of liquor. It screws me up way to quick. Maybe if Im going to a bar or whatever Ill have a gin and tonic or Jim and Coke. But 99% of the time I drink beer

Chimone said:
im not a big fan of liquor. It screws me up way to quick. Maybe if Im going to a bar or whatever Ill have a gin and tonic or Jim and Coke. But 99% of the time I drink beer

I am with you. I can enjoy drinking beer over an evening, but a couple hard drinks and I just want to call it a day.

Brewpastor said:
I am with you. I can enjoy drinking beer over an evening, but a couple hard drinks and I just want to call it a day.

In general I don't care for distilled alcohol. I'd probably fall back to wine or possibly sake which I do drink, although not regularly.

Funny thing, in general I feel better since I started brewing and drinking homebrew. :mug:

There should be a "Yes-but not very often" option. I'd drink PBR, but I probably wouldn't buy it very often. I'm not a big hard liquor person--I do like dark rum, some whisky, and tequila if I'm looking to get bombed out of my mind. Not that I look for that so often, really. I'd probably stick with PBR on a hot day.

I saw the first performance live of that song. Hampton 2nd night :D

krispy d said:
oh tequila,
i turn to you like a long lost friend
i want to kiss my mexican cousin
once again

oh cover every emotion
from happiness to sorrow
and the converstations i forget
will tell me about tomorrow

when the phone calls come
am i in bed or in a hearse
the things you tell me about myself
can make me feel any worse

well im awful sorry you got pissed
just have to cross you off the list,
of my true friends
and tequilla is where it starts and where it ends

If BMC is my only option, I'll drink water....

I never saw a show at Hampton, but caught a Mexican Cousin at Alpine Valley - or was it Deer Creek??? :drunk:

I still enjoy a cold bud every once in a while. But if no good beer is available, Im a whiskey and scotch man. Nothing is better than some makers mark or some glenlivet on the rocks with a nice cigar.

seefresh said:
I saw the first performance live of that song. Hampton 2nd night :D

That song never did anything for me. Sounded forced, like the kind of song you'd do because you KNOW the frat boys in the audience would go apesh!t. But, never saw it live.

the_bird said:
That song never did anything for me. Sounded forced, like the kind of song you'd do because you KNOW the frat boys in the audience would go apesh!t. But, never saw it live.

I think that whole album sounded a little forced. like they knew it was the end but had to fulfill the contract. it was better live. but what wasn't? I just like it cause I love Phish and have a soft spot fore the agave...

"Woke up this morning with a wine glass in my hand
Whose wine, what wine, where the hell did I die*?
Must have been a dream I don’t believe where I’ve been
Come on - LET'S DO IT AGAIN!"

*- 'die' is supposed to be 'dine', but I though it was die at first and I like the lyric better like that. Like die - to pass out.

Not the biggest Frampton fan, but this song(live version -the only version) ROCKS:rockin:

Red Bordeaux, Madeira, Sauternes, Meritage, Port - easy choices!

P.S. I now you weren't talk about Frampton, but it reminded me of this song.

Back