Ideas for pacific gem hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvolz

Reaction score
I would like to use some pacific gem hops in a brew because of their blackberry,woody profile. I havent found any recipes using them. They are about 13% alpha acid I believe,so I would use them for bittering. Anyone have any recipe ideas??

If you are only using them for bittering, you probably won't notice too much of their character if it's a beer with many finishing hops. I recently made an American Stout with Pacific Gem in the finish, but haven't tasted it yet...going to be bottling it next weekend.

I also had the idea of using them in the finish of an English Bitter or Best Bitter as something to compliment the fruitiness from the yeast.

If you are only using them for bittering, you probably won't notice too much of their character if it's a beer with many finishing hops. I recently made an American Stout with Pacific Gem in the finish, but haven't tasted it yet...going to be bottling it next weekend.

I also had the idea of using them in the finish of an English Bitter or Best Bitter as something to compliment the fruitiness from the yeast.

Yeah,I realize that I will have to use them closer to the end of the boil to get any of the character. Im thinking of a pale ale with gems for the finish.

I use PA gem, but I find them maddening. When I first got them I used them in a wheat beer and I got a very nice subtle berry aroma. I've tried to get that aroma again in several other beers styles and dang if I haven't been able to get it again. :( I think I'll have the re-brew that wheat beer. Maybe it had something to do with the yeast?

I use PA gem, but I find them maddening. When I first got them I used them in a wheat beer and I got a very nice subtle berry aroma. I've tried to get that aroma again in several other beers styles and dang if I haven't been able to get it again. :( I think I'll have the re-brew that wheat beer. Maybe it had something to do with the yeast?

I love hoppy beers,but the maddening part kinda scares me. Im thinking of a pale ale with 1/2 0z. of gems to bitter,some cinnamon sticks somewhere in the middle,and dry hop with just a little of the gems,and see what happens. I love the addition of cinnamon sticks instead of flavor and aroma hops. something to play around with.

I use organic pacific gems from New Zealand and use them as a high alpha bittering hop in many styles of beer. They are a pretty 'clean' bittering hop. The current batch I'm using is rated at 15% AA. Here's a recipe for an amber ale that I used them in http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Amber-Ale.html

Looks like an interesting recipe. Might have to try it in the near future! Thanks!

They're not very good for aroma/flavor, IMHO. That berry note is harsh and pretty unpleasant. Personally, I'll stick to using them for bittering with the rest I have left.

Nelson Sauvin, on the other hand, is awesome...

Latest posts

Back