Ideas for munchies during the football game?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Utz Cheeze Ball keg

utz-cheese-balls.jpg

Yooper,

Maybe I missed it and apologize for that.. Would you post your recipe, lye and all. The Alton Brown post was great. But he wasn't able to post the lye part. Dang the law!

You are not held up to legality. And if you don't want the whole internet to see your instructions, just PM me please.

I know how to keep secrets, secret. Part of my job in the real world.

Yooper,

Maybe I missed it and apologize for that.. Would you post your recipe, lye and all. The Alton Brown post was great. But he wasn't able to post the lye part. Dang the law!

You are not held up to legality. And if you don't want the whole internet to see your instructions, just PM me please.

I know how to keep secrets, secret. Part of my job in the real world.

Yooper posted a link with the full instructions from Braukaiser (sounds vaguely German, no?)

Here it is again in case you missed it:

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Brezels_and_other_Laugengebäck

Eh-hem... excuse me everyone while I win.

Ummm Yoop... if you are still looking... it's not as much work as it seems, trust me, I do it for almost every single Pats tailgate. I usually triple the recipe

1 pound of ground pork
3 dried guajillos (tough to find so I bought a huge bag on Amazon for about $8 delivered to my house)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika (not smoked paprika as Mexican chorizo is decidedly not a smoked sausage)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons salt

2 lbs shredded cheddar cheese
bag a' Tostido's Scoops or some other tortilla chips

A big cast iron skillet is really the way to go here.

- Stem, split and seed the guajillos.
- pan sear the peppers flat on the hot skillet (may have to weight then down with a bacon press or just a pot) until starting to blacked just a bit. you want them crispy.
- once out of the pan and cool, crumble them with your hands, place them in a small bowl and add the cidar vinegar. Let sit and rehydrate while you prep everything else.
- Drop onion, garlic and all of the spices into a blender
- Once peppers have sat for maybe 20-25 minutes... dump the whole bowl (peppers and vinegar) into the blender as well.
- Puree until very smooth
- In a big bowl, combine puree and ground pork (I grind my own from Pork Shoulders... you want a fair amount of fat!!) and mix really well
- place chorizo in large skillet and cook on medium and cooked through and the fat is started to pool up.
- sprinkle the whole thing with all of the cheese and cook on med-low until all of the cheese is melted
- serve with torilla chips as a dip

I'm tellin' you Yoop... you will not believe how many chics you'll get. Hit of the party I gar-un-tee. People will eat themselves into food comas.

Oh sorry... just some more winning below just in case...

Buffalo Chicken Won-Tons. These are a bit more work and probably something you wouldn't bring to someone's house but I do these at our tailgate as well and at the house for away games. HUGE hit.

- 2 large chicken boobies... sorry... breasts
- 2 8oz packages of cream cheese
- 1 cup of GOOD Blue cheese dressing... the stuff you find in the produce section (Marie's is a good one). Do NOT use some store brand or something.
- 3/4 cup of hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- couple ribs of diced celery
- won-ton wrappers
- oil for fryin'
- Ritz Crackers

- cook the chicken however you want (I just pan fry it in a little oil). Once cooked, shred it and add to a decent sized sauce pan
- add cream cheese, blue cheese, hot sauce and cheddar.
- cook on low heat until everything is melted and gooey
- heat oil and inch of oil in a pan to 375 degrees
- place small dollop of buff chicken dip in the center of the wonton, sprinkle on some diced celery, wet two edges, fold over won-ton and seal it. you can fold over the corners if ya wanna be fancy about it too.
- deep fat fry in the oil for about 20 seconds on each side until starting to get golden brown (they cook VERY quickly)
- serve with remaining blue cheese as a dip.

... ALSO... serve remainder of the buffalo chicken stuff as a warm dip with Ritz crackers!

You can make all of the won-tons ahead of time (probably a good idea) and spread them out on a cookie sheet or something and then when you're ready to eat 'em, just deep fry 'em up quick. Like I was saying, they take less than a minute.

They are insane.

Oh, that sounds so great. I'm going to have to try both, and of course I'll have to get the guajillos online because I live in lily-white Scandinavian land. We have lutefisk in the market, but nothing ending in "illo".

Or, I could wait until we get to Texas and I bet that I'd find guajillos, among other things.

I wonder if the wontons would "keep"? I mean, make them all up, fry them and all, and then put them all on a cookie sheet in the oven when I'm ready to serve them?

Hmmmm... I dunno... I think they might get soggy.

That's kind of a tough one to travel to someone's place with cause then you're cooking with oil in their kitchen... it's not a pain but.. I dunno... weird. We bring the turkey fryers to Gillette so deep fryin' is a common deal.

Dunno if you would be able to swing either for this particular bash but trust me... make both of these recipes at some point.

PS. Clay Mathews enjoys the company of men.

LOL... c'mon... friendly joking.

these two recipes are probably the two biggest hits in terms of "munchie" stuff at our tailgate and at the house. They are always really popular.

yknow what I have never made but would enjoy eating at a gathering of just about any sort... homemade knishes.

Hmmmm... I dunno... I think they might get soggy.

That's kind of a tough one to travel to someone's place with cause then you're cooking with oil in their kitchen... it's not a pain but.. I dunno... weird. We bring the turkey fryers to Gillette so deep fryin' is a common deal.

Dunno if you would be able to swing either for this particular bash but trust me... make both of these recipes at some point.

PS. Clay Mathews enjoys the company of men.

I can try them at home, and see if they can be reheated. Great ideas, thanks!

(I don't care if Clay likes men, women, or horses. He's still amazingly hot.) :D

Knish? Isn't that some kind of Jewish NY thing?

Yeah it is, though I am not Jewish personally. I havent heard anyone of any religious persuasion say they dislike a good knish... with the exception of those people who dont like the chopped liver stuffed variety.

I think you'd like them Homer. Mashed potato shell made by sauteeing or baking the outside krispy, with a soft mashed potato interior that can be accompanied by sauer kraut or chopped liver (or mashed potato alone). Serve with a nice brown mustard and a good pickle and I'm a happy guy.

All of the recipes I saw online showed a flaky crust with mashed potato, onion, and (insert other item here) on the inside.

I have no doubt I would like them, either way. I should really give these a go. They look like a sort of small Jewish pasty.

And since I'm not Jewish I can put BACON in there!

And since I'm not Jewish I can put BACON in there!

Well, that's one way to look at it.

I'm not much of a flaky crust kind of person, but I love anything that has potatoes in it. That's why I'm so wild about my childhood favorite, pierogy. If you could make a potato/cheddar filling for the knish it would remind me of pierogy and that would be excellent.

That you could. If you prefer authenticity, chicken skin fried crisp (gribenes) are pretty killer.

Can I just say that knishes are one of those things you take for granted as a New Yorker? You just labor under the illusion that everyone has had one, even though logically you know there are people out there who probably havent.

I have zero chance of having time to make these for this weekend's tailgating, but they are on the list to try. We got 3 weekends straight of Bronco Football to go watch, so I should have ample opp. to get it done.

Pierogy is also on my list, but I had forgotten about them. I think a Saturday filled with cooking with the daughter is called for. She will make somebody a very fine wife someday.

Hey here's another idea, how about make a large tray of sausage and peppers and bring a bag of rolls with you. This way people can put together their own sandwiches of whatever size you choose...

Wait, stupid question, are rolls popular in Michigan?

I made these this weekend, they came out great:

The pretzels as tooth-picks worked very well. The recipe is from the site I referred to above.

Maple-Glazed Apple-Chicken Sausage Bites

Also, here is a pierogi recipe: http://noblepig.com/2009/09/pierogi/

Recipe please, and be quick about it!

EDIT: Never mind, I found their search feature.

One of my favorite snack style food is Bagna Cauda (said bah-nyah cow-dah).

We always made a commmunal batch of it for parties in our big electric skillet.

I'll probably wind up editing this recipe when I get home but it was something like:

4-6 heads of garlic minced (not cloves, heads)
4 sticks of butter
6 tins of anchovies
1 pint of heavy cream

Melt 1/2 stick of butter in the skillet, quickly sear the garlic when the butter stops foaming (15 sec sear). Add the rest of the butter. When all the butter is melted, add the anchovies and stir until they basically disappear. Whisk in the heavy cream. Keep it warm to hot while serving (hence the reason for the electric skillet, but a crockpot can keep it warm too). The cream will eventually separate out because there aren't enough emuslifiers in the butter to hold it all, but a quick stir and it still tastes good, even if it doesn't look as good.

Use raw veggies or bread to dip into it (sorry Yoop, although thinly sliced fillet or something may work really well).

Makes enough to serve an army and your whole house will smell like garlic for at least 1 day after and sometimes up to a week. Yum!

I'll probably wind up editing this recipe when I get home but it was something like:

4 sticks of butter
6 tins of anchovies
1 pint of heavy cream

Melt 1/2 stick of butter in the skillet, quickly sear the garlic when the butter stops foaming (15 sec sear). Add the rest of the butter. When all the butter is melted, add the anchovies and stir until they basically disappear. Whisk in the heavy cream. Keep it warm to hot while serving (hence the reason for the electric skillet, but a crockpot can keep it warm too). The cream will eventually separate out because there aren't enough emuslifiers in the butter to hold it all, but a quick stir and it still tastes good, even if it doesn't look as good.

Use raw veggies or bread to dip into it (sorry Yoop, although thinly sliced fillet or something may work really well).

Makes enough to serve an army and your whole house will smell like garlic for at least 1 day after and sometimes up to a week. Yum!

MY grandfather was from Piemonte Italy where Bagna Cauda is from. This is one of the tastes that I learn to love when I was little, haven´t had one in years... I think I´m going to try it this weekend.

4 sticks of butter
6 tins of anchovies
1 pint of heavy cream

I'm going to add this to my list of things I will make when SWMBO is out of town on business! :rockin:

Yeah, some guys get some strange when their wife is out of town, I just get some strange food.

Here's the edited version. I'm on the app right now so I can't use italics to edit the original. If anyone needs an edited version, let me know and I can do it in about 5 hours.

4 heads of garlic minced (not cloves, heads)
2-8 sticks of butter
7-10 2 oz tins of anchovies
1 quart of heavy cream

Melt 2 sticks of butter in the skillet, quickly sear the garlic when the butter stops foaming (15 sec sear). Add the anchovies and stir until they basically disappear. Whisk in the heavy cream or add 4-6 more sticks of butter. Keep it warm to hot while serving (hence the reason for the electric skillet, but a crockpot can keep it warm too). The cream will eventually separate out because there aren't enough emuslifiers in the butter to hold it all when everything is hot, but a quick stir and it still tastes good, even if it doesn't look as good.

With all the bacon talk, how about jumbo shrimp (shrimp cocktail size or even tiger prawns) wrapped in bacon and cooked in the oven?

I know the event has long passed, but I'm sure there will be more sporting events.

With all the bacon talk, how about jumbo shrimp (shrimp cocktail size or even tiger prawns) wrapped in bacon and cooked in the oven?

I know the event has long passed, but I'm sure there will be more sporting events.

A local Mexican place does that (bacon wrapped shrimp) but they deep fry it. It's amazing.

I'm going Asian this weekend.....

- Thai chicken satay (marinated in red curry paste, coconut milk, garlic, & fish sauce)
- A Jaad (cucumber, chili, & shallots in a sugar/vinegar sauce)
- ground turkey lettuce wraps

I'm going to repost my dumb question. Are rolls popular in Michigan/the Midwest or is that more an East Coast thang?

Back