Ideas for Cleaning Inside of Tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewbieVet3

Reaction score
Searched for this, but didn’t find anything exactly on point.

I’ve noticed residue inside my tubing, even after a good soak. Looks like bits of grain. Anyone know of some sort of pipe cleaner or other device I can use to ensure the inside of my tubing is clean? Thanks.

Dip tube brush is what I use for tubing that's only a few feet long. The other thing I do when I have organic deposits in tubes is to soak them in a lye solution. That eats the organics and makes it easier to flush them out.

Mix up some pbw in a bottling bucket or start a siphon through the hose, pinch it off when it is full and let set for a while. You can rinse and sanitize using the same method.

I have a pair of tubing brushes with four foot long handles, one for 1/2" silicone lines on my brew rig and the other for 1" ID blow-off tubes...

Cheers!

Searched for this, but didn’t find anything exactly on point.

I’ve noticed residue inside my tubing, even after a good soak. Looks like bits of grain. Anyone know of some sort of pipe cleaner or other device I can use to ensure the inside of my tubing is clean? Thanks.
I have made up a string longer than the tubing and tie up a paper towel or rag to go through the tubing. A couple passes does the trick.

I bought them at my lhbs but their retail site appears to be down for maintenance at the moment.
They're out there though - I just checked Amazon and there are lots of long tubing brushes - some much longer than mine, like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LR2KCA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I use BLC or LLC - whichever my lhbs had the last time I bought any. I run a six line parallel pumped recirculation cleaner and the two solutions seem to work interchangeably...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Recirculate 180F PBW at 1.1% w/w. Stuff is amazeballs.

Quick story. I spent over a year trying to get my hoses cleaned out. They were practically opaque. I finally ordered a 5' long 1/2" nylon brush to reach all the way down. Then a week later i figured out the hot PBW thing, and my hoses are so clean I still haven't used the brush.

Back