Ideal time to ferment imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElatiBrewer

Reaction score
Seven days ago I brewed a big beer using 24lbs of grain. OG was 1.117. I pitched 2 packets of yeast. I am hoping to get an FG of around 1.03. Bubbles in airlock occur about every 30 seconds.

How much time should I expect it will need to ferment in primary?
Should I rack to secondary? If so, after how long?
Or should I let it condition in a primary fermenter? If so, then for how long?

Thank you

I'd let it keep fermenting in primary until the bubbles die down. I've done a couple Imperial Stouts and they usually need at least 10 days in primary.

If you've got a sample taker get a gravity reading and see if it's close to your FG. The gravity is really the best indicator of when fermentation is complete.

I would rack to a secondary after 4 weeks or so. You can probably go even longer (8-12 weeks) if your primary isn't plastic. Then I would very carefully rack to a secondary and let it bulk age there for a couple months. A beer that big need some time to mellow.

I just brewed one 8 days ago. Pitched on top of a yeast cake and plan on letting it sit for at least 3-4 weeks. Then condition in a keg for a few months.

With a beer that big, you probably need at least 3-4 weeks in the primary. I'd then rack to a secondary carboy, for a couple reasons. First, it may stir up a bit more activity, and second, you're almost certainly going to see more trub and such drop out after racking. Big beers take big time. After the first week or two, keep it warm (at least 70F).

I would rack to a secondary after 4 weeks or so. You can probably go even longer (8-12 weeks) if your primary isn't plastic. Then I would very carefully rack to a secondary and let it bulk age there for a couple months. A beer that big need some time to mellow.

If I wait 8 weeks and rack to a secondary after fermentation has completed, do I need to worry about oxidation while transferring to secondary?

The amount of time it takes to ferment depends on many things but it's all up to the yeast. You can't just say "I'll put it in the secondary after 10 days" without taking gravity readings. Once it is done fermenting, give it SEVERAL (4 or 5 at least) weeks longer in the primary and them secondary it for as long as needed.

If I wait 8 weeks and rack to a secondary after fermentation has completed, do I need to worry about oxidation while transferring to secondary?

Do you ever have to worry about oxidation while transferring? Whether the fermentation has completed shouldn't make any difference in this.

I'd ferment it for four weeks, then keg (or bottle if that's what you do) and let it age in the keg (or bottle)

Back