ice concentrating tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopJuicer

Reaction score
I have a wine that I made from blackberries and raisins that I want to try to freeze concentrate some of it. OG was 1.090 and finished at .998. I was reading other threads on eisbock and seems some freeze solid in a bottle, turn upside down and catch the drippings in a jar. Others talked about checking it at certain times and scrapping ice off the top. Last I read was about freezing until slushy like and racking the liquid, leaving the ice crystals behind. I also want to try this with a brew just to see how it turns out.

What technique did you have success with?

I recently ice concentrated some apfelwein into applejack, it depends how concentrated you want it!

I siphon the wine into one gallon milk jugs, leaving some room for expansion and stick them in the deep freeze. it's solid enough to stay in the jug to drip out when you turn it upside down.

If you keep freezing after collecting you'll eventually need a strainer to catch the ice crystals.

I also did some apple jack. I froze solid and caught drippings.

here's a pic of results. Remember all of the flavors are concentrated. My cider was spiced and now it is really spicy.

0425121708b_63542.jpg

Thank you majafoo and roadymi! I have 2 of the tap a draft brown jugs partially full in the freezer now. I heard the flavors are enhanced. Right now it has a slight tart with a stronger raisin backbone so I'm really unsure what will happen. Does the final product benefit from a little aging?

I would say so, I deep freeze my jack until it will not freeze anymore..

I've noticed it gets much better with age so I usually add oak cubes to half the bottles and leave the other unoaked. Both get better over time for sure, it mellows out.

Think about how long it takes for a 10% beer to mellow out, now you're dealing with something that's 15-40% alcohol!

Thanks again for your help! I will set some aside for aging and I like the oak idea.

I have to try this with a brew!!! You were right about the flavors being enhanced lol, talk about tart! Not to bad after I back sweetened with blue agave nectar. Thanks again!

I did this a couple years ago with a scottish ale that was under-hopped.and mashed too high: result, sweet un drinkable beer. I poured several bottles into an empty gallon water jug, and popped it in the freezer. After a few hours, it was frozen. I turned it upside down in a pitcher,.and the beer almost immediately started to dribble out. I stopped it when the color started to lighten.

The result, bitterness and alcohol increased and I had a scottish barley wine. It was roasty and smooth. Only thing lacking was carbonation, but I don't keg so I just enjoyed without CO2.

Back