Ice Cider Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cch0830

Reaction score
Anybody recommend aeration of ice cider before fermentation?

Anybody recommend aeration of ice cider before fermentation?

By aeration I assume you mean for the purpose of oxygenating for the yeast?

I'd say give it a good aeration when first pitching and a stir each day of ferment.

Assuming this will be an acidic must , considering the sweetness might need to be balanced by careful acid additions, which will also have the effect of lowering the pH ... and to which you are adding sulfites (at least that would be what's done with ice *wine*), a little excess oxygenation should not be a problem.

As the must used in Ice Wine, and Ice Cider though I'm not sure where the cider would end up at, is of a very high Brix ... somewhere's north of 32 and possibly up to 50 (btw: 32 *Bx is almost SG 1.139) hopefully your choice of yeast is up to the task for the environment it will encounter. And as well the environment you create is directed towards that specific yeasts needs ... Especially with cider - nutrients.
fwiw Lalvin has a yeast product called Level 2 ... others would work too, say, K1. Tricky stuff.

You ask "before fermentation" but when I make cider I aerate a couple of times each day by stirring while the juice is in the primary. I think active yeast will consume all the O2 in the juice in a matter of a few hours.

Thats basically the SOP for making high gravity ferments. Scots Lab cider fermenting book (free from the company) suggests adding like 30% (if I remember right) more nutrients for a high gravity ferment and more yeast at the start. Are you doing this from raw cider you are freezing to concentrate or frozen apple juice concentrate?

WVMJ

By aeration I assume you mean for the purpose of oxygenating for the yeast?

I'd say give it a good aeration when first pitching and a stir each day of ferment.

Assuming this will be an acidic must (considering the sugar content might need to be balanced by careful acid additions, which will also have the effect of a lower pH) ... and to which you are adding sulfites (at least that would be what's done with ice *wine*), a little excess oxygenation should not be a problem.

As the must used in Ice Wine (and Ice Cider, though I'm not sure where the cider would end up at) is of a very high Brix ... somewhere's north of 32 and possibly up to 50 (btw: 32 *Bx is almost SG 1.139) hopefully your choice of yeast is up to the task for the environment it will encounter. And as well the environment you create is directed towards that specific yeasts needs (especially with cider - nutrients).
fwiw Lalvin has a yeast product called Level 2 ... others would work too, say, K1. Tricky stuff.

Back