IBUs a little high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P-chopExpress

Reaction score
I haven’t brewed in a few years and I need some advice. I got a little careless with my hop additions; once the kids got up I had a few distractions…

Brown Ale
9 lbs- Maris Otter
1 lb- Biscuit
2 lbs- Amber
1 lb- Crystal 60
.3 lb- Chocolate
Wyyeast London Ale
Nugget and Willamette hops 1 oz each
6 gallon boil
pre-boil gravity: 1.040
OG: 1.052

I meant to divide my Nugget hop additions into .5 oz for 1 hour and .5 oz for 30 minutes but it all went in at the beginning. Willamette went in for 20 and 10 for roughly 49 IBUs. I want to believe that this will still can be a malt for forward beer but I have my doubts. Should I let this ride as is and hope for the best or go all in for a Brown IPA and dry hop? I‘m just not sure if it will seem too bitter with only the Willamette additions and nothing at the end for aroma. Any thoughts?

The only thing that tells me you might regret dry hopping in an attempt to make it more IPA-ish is that pound of crystal malt.

I think if you leave it as-is& keep the yeast fruitiness on the lower side, you might end up something Porter-ish.

Should I let this ride as is and hope for the best or go all in for a Brown IPA and dry hop?

Given the 49 IBU, as you suspect, you won't have a Brown Ale no matter what you do. It will still be malty given all the specialty malts, just with a lot of bitterness. Hop Aroma is an important attribute of a Brown IPA - see style guidelines below. That said, it is really up to you on whether you want the aroma or not. The dry-hopping will not impact bitterness much. Staying within style guidelines is really meaningless unless you are entering it into competition - just make the beer you like. While it may turn out more bitter than you intended, if you like 49 IBU it will still be good - hop aroma or not.

1639853809052.png

I also thought about a 1/2lb of lactose and taking more in a sweet brown stout direction.

But then I thought probably isn’t roasty enough to be stout-ish.

Thank you for the advice. I didn’t even think of lactose as an option to add sweetness. I guess I’m pretty lazy because I think I’m just going to let it go and see what happens. Beernik, it will be fermenting at the low end of the temperature range so hopefully any fruitiness will be kept to a minimum and maybe it will end up somewhat Porter-ish like you said. I won’t mind the bitterness myself but it may just determine who I share it with.
thanks again

Back