ibu correction necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinworswick

Reaction score
i'm in the middle of brewing the best bitter recipe from brewing classic styles and my efficiency has taken a big jump,probably from the crush as the sparge was painfully slow,i've figured out the amount of water i need to add to correct the gravity but do i need to correct the hops? and if so how do i work out how much?
cheers
martin

i'm in the middle of brewing the best bitter recipe from brewing classic styles and my efficiency has taken a big jump,probably from the crush as the sparge was painfully slow,i've figured out the amount of water i need to add to correct the gravity but do i need to correct the hops? and if so how do i work out how much?
cheers
martin

If you're going to have the same gravity, the hops will not change.

The only time I change the hopping is if my preboil gravity is way off, and I need more hops for the higher gravity, or less hops if the efficiency was poor. If you're going to end up with the same volume and same gravity, the hops amounts won't change.

If you're adding water to the final product to thin it out you'll dilute the hops, too. One ounce of X%AA hops in 5 gallons 1.0Y beer will not be the same as one ounce of X%AA hops in 6 gallons 1.0Y beer.

ok, i just re-read yoopers post,i actually ended up with around 3/4 gallon more finished volume than intended after i added the necessary water to correct the gravity.
so is there a simple calculation i can use if/when i have the same situation arise?

GO into your recipe program and change the volume and efficiency, then add more hops until you get where you want to be.

Back