I wish I could have just one...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say a typical week for me would look like this:
1 day = nothing
2 days = 1-2 beers
2 days = 2-4 beers
1 day = 4 - 5 beers
1 day = 6+ beers.... if it is a party, or camping, etc....that could be 8-12.

I guess I don't really want to limit myself on the 1-2 days a week where I am hanging out with friends, camping, etc. If it is a day where I am kayaking, or my wife and I are going out to a brew pub, grilling, relaxing in our back yard.... I fully intend to drink 3-5 beers. I could probably do without those days where it turns into 8-12. Usually that is over the course of quite a long time though (6-10 hours).

The singular reason I would probably drink a little less is weight. I could stand to lose 20-25 pounds. To be honest, if I would simply get off my butt and exercise more.... I could probably pull it off without curtailing my beer intake too much. Some strategies I am conscious about though in this regard:

*Alcohol content.... I almost never brew a beer that is 6% ABV. Vast majority of what I brew is 4-5.5%. I like beer.... I want to brew something that I can drink multiples of. Plus, more alcohol = more calories. Likewise, I will always order a lower ABV over a higher ABV beer if there is a good choice.

*Watch what else you drink...... I drink 3 things - Beer, Water and Coffee. 2 of those 3 have no calories. I use some milk on my cereal, or an occasional glass. I rarely have a can of pop. There are plenty of people that suck down 6-10 soda's a day and don't bat an eye.... I would rather drink the beer I drink that an equal amount of pop.

*I am conscious about eating food that needs to be prepared. No boxes, no "flavor packets"..... As they say - shop the perimeter of the grocery store - not the aisles. I avoid sugary snacks, rarely eat chips, etc.

Beer is something I enjoy making and drinking. I recognize that it is not the healthiest thing in the world, so I try to consciously make decisions in other areas - knowing that my "bad calories" are already used up on beer.

I love relaxing in my back yard with my wife, a good beer, good music and just enjoying myself.... it is stress relief. Stress is a killer too.

*Alcohol content.... I almost never brew a beer that is 6% ABV. Vast majority of what I brew is 4-5.5%. I like beer.... I want to brew something that I can drink multiples of. Plus, more alcohol = more calories. Likewise, I will always order a lower ABV over a higher ABV beer if there is a good choice.

*Watch what else you drink...... I drink 3 things - Beer, Water and Coffee. 2 of those 3 have no calories. I use some milk on my cereal, or an occasional glass. I rarely have a can of pop. There are plenty of people that suck down 6-10 soda's a day and don't bat an eye.... I would rather drink the beer I drink that an equal amount of pop.

*I am conscious about eating food that needs to be prepared. No boxes, no "flavor packets"..... As they say - shop the perimeter of the grocery store - not the aisles. I avoid sugary snacks, rarely eat chips, etc.

Beer is something I enjoy making and drinking. I recognize that it is not the healthiest thing in the world, so I try to consciously make decisions in other areas - knowing that my "bad calories" are already used up on beer.

I love relaxing in my back yard with my wife, a good beer, good music and just enjoying myself.... it is stress relief. Stress is a killer too.

I can relate. I never drink soda, eat sugar, and avoid carbs as much as possible. People say that doesn't make sense. Beer is full of carbs. My response?..."Exactly" :D

I would say a typical week for me would look like this:
1 day = nothing
2 days = 1-2 beers
2 days = 2-4 beers
1 day = 4 - 5 beers
1 day = 6+ beers.... if it is a party, or camping, etc....that could be 8-12.

I guess I don't really want to limit myself on the 1-2 days a week where I am hanging out with friends, camping, etc. If it is a day where I am kayaking, or my wife and I are going out to a brew pub, grilling, relaxing in our back yard.... I fully intend to drink 3-5 beers. I could probably do without those days where it turns into 8-12. Usually that is over the course of quite a long time though (6-10 hours).

The singular reason I would probably drink a little less is weight. I could stand to lose 20-25 pounds. To be honest, if I would simply get off my butt and exercise more.... I could probably pull it off without curtailing my beer intake too much. Some strategies I am conscious about though in this regard:

My philosophy/approach is remarkably similar to yours.

Weight is definitely something you need to watch because it can creep up on you. A few months ago I stepped on the scale and realized I was 10lbs heavier than I have ever been. Not a huge deal, but I was kind of taken aback. I decided I would lose all of that weight over the next 3 months, in time for a trip to Jamaica. By the time I boarded the plane, I had lost 12lbs, and I did not adjust my beer or wine intake one iota, aside from a conscious effort to favor 4-5% ABV beers.

What I *did* do was make my exercise regimen a bit more intense and monitor food intake. Mostly, portion control, elimination of mindless snacking, and almost complete elimination of sugar (which is huge... for God's sake folks, stay away from the Coke and Mountain Dew).

It's been almost 2 months since Jamaica and I'm still following the same guidelines, to the point where I'm not even thinking about it anymore. I lost a few additional pounds and at 172lbs and 5'11" and 39 years old, I'm leaner than I've been in the last 15 years, despite being older than I've ever been before. :D And again, all while enjoying beer more or less whenever I want. I'm not gloating, just trying to make the point that for most of us, diet is so much more important in bodyweight than beer is.

If you really want to limit how much you drink at a time brew up a great big beer (Dopplbock is mine) If you can drink 2 of those without getting too full you can't put anything else in there you don't have a drinking problem you have a big stomach problem

10 oz stange? That better have been the only one you had! Or...shame!!!!!

I'm in the same boat. I drink 1-3 beers a night usually after work. I get home at 11:30pm. I stay up and watch tv until I get tired and fall asleep around 1 or 2. The weekends are normally the same 1-3, unless I'm out with friends or exploring breweries.

Honestly it's in the eye of the beholder. If you think your habits are excessive it might be worth cutting back and finding a more healthy way to unwind. But you're the only one capable of making that decision. For some, exercising restraint can be more challenging than not drinking at all.

Personally, I made a point of changing my brewing habits up and focusing on session beers -- my taps never have anything above 6% ABV in them. Additionally, I too ascribe to the smaller glass, so I don't feel as bad about having 3-4 four ounce pours in one night. I probably have between 10-15 full beers during the week, but a lot of days I'm too tired to indulge in more than one. I also happen to get the absolute worst hangovers if I indulge in more than 4 beers in a night, so...alcohol abuse is not worth the suffering for me.

During the week I usually drink 1 beer while cooking dinner for the kids & myself.
Weekends I drink more, mostly because I start sooner and don't have to work the next day.

Like all others have previously stated, health & weight are a concern but I am hoping to rectify that with some new exercise routines!

I also try to keep my brews to no more than 6%, that is unless I screw up and make a brew 7.5%, as I accidentally did with my last brew .

Because of my work, and kids, I tend to not drink Sunday - Wednesday. If I do have a beer, it's because I don't have to take my kids anywhere that day. Thursday - Saturday I will have anywhere from 2 - 8 beers.

I know someone at work who drinks 10 - 18 beers a day. But he only drinks Bud Light. :p

I can typically drink a 6-pack a day it seems. I'm a pretty big guy at 210 lbs and I am retired so I might have my first beer around 1 or 2 in the afternoon and my last before bed or earlier depending on what I have going on. I try to stay as active as a 65 year old feels like, I think I'm busier than most my age that I run across. I haven't put on weight in that last 40 years. I feel good and don't have any health issues and I don't take any regular medication. Sometimes I think I drink too much beer but I like it a lot and I usually don't feel like stopping after one. I can't remember that last time I got drunk, I'm a fairly slow drinker and like to enjoy each one. I've been thinking about putting in a kegging system but my wife thinks that will just lead to more drinking due to the convenience, though she enjoys beer as much as I do. I do try to have water while I drink beer and all of my home brews are under 6%, usually around 5 to 5.5%. I've been doing this for about the last 10 years or so, before that I probably drank quite a bit less. It's only been since I got into craft brewing that my consumption has increased. I can and often do go a week or 2 without a beer as a way to cleanse but I do enjoy my beer.
Cheers all...

Back