I will salvage this batch, but I need some advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So, a couple of months ago, I had done a small batch (3 gallon) of a chocolate milk stout. (all grain)

In the process of mashing, I had my kettle on the stove and was regulating the temp in the low-mid 150's. I got it to the point where I didn't have to touch the stove and everything was staying within about a 4 degree swing so I left the room for a little bit (like 10 mins)
when I came back, the temp had gone up to low 180's.

This is obviously not good.
I posted another thread on the forums asking about this and what a few people suggested is that I would have an increase in unfermentables in my brew. Therefore I would not be able to achieve the FG I was looking for.
My OG (I believe) was 1.068
The fermentation began with my WL english ale starter and I measured a couple weeks later and it had dropped to 1.035
I knew something wasn't quite right (most likely do to my mash temp issues)
and let it just sit in the fermenter until I remembered about it today. (we are about 9 or 10 weeks later at this point)

So, I measured the gravity today and it was 1.027 or 1.028
Not TERRIBLE given the circumstances, but I tried a little taste out of the sample I took and the flavor is actually quite nice. However, as you can imagine, it's pretty viscous and heavy with the unfermentables (I'm assuming)

So.... whatdya think. Can I bottle this? Is it worth it?
Or is there anything else I could do at this point (i dunno, add corn sugar in the fermenter to dry it out more?)

First time i've ever had this issue and wondering what the best solution is. I hate dumping beer and I think it can definitely be drinkable... it just won't be the usual beer.
lemme know
dave

I definitely wouldn't waste it, especially if it tastes fine!

What about adding some gelatin finings to try settling out some of the unfermentables? I'm pretty sure after 10 weeks, your FG won't change much more.

Add some table sugar. Boost the abv. It will both balance out the higher fg, but also bring it down some.

I like the blending idea, but I'm not sure what I'd blend with. I have another small batch of DIPA going with some Heady Topper yeast I ganked out of a can. The problem is, I'd hate to defile an DIPA by mixing it with a chocomilk stout. (sounds like a bad combo... I think...)

Is that table sugar thing legit? is there some reason for cane sugar versus corn sugar in this case?

Definitely worth bottling. Adding a little table sugar might not hurt, but it actually sounds pretty good the way it is. I would bottle it and just keep it around for when I'm in the mood for something rich and heavy.

Carbonation will cut some of the sweetness. I think if you just bottle it the carbonation will take away some of the sweetness. 1.068 to 1.027 is not too out of line for a sweet stout.

Bottle it up. Let it carb up and see what you think.

I am betting it will be pretty good.

Carbonation will cut some of the sweetness. I think if you just bottle it the carbonation will take away some of the sweetness. 1.068 to 1.027 is not too out of line for a sweet stout.

Bottle it up. Let it carb up and see what you think.

I am betting it will be pretty good.

^makes me feel a bit better about my related situation.

Milk stout #2 was @ 1026 SG after approx 2 weeks in the fermentation chamber. I did a bunch of research on HBT and just decided to bring it up to room temp and swirl the bucket one good time.

Haven't re-checked the gravity, but gonna keg it anyways. Kinda made me sad since estimated OG was something like 1056. I think i calculated like 2% abv, LOL. (I'm hoping there's an error in my calculation somewhere because of the 1lb lactose addition)

Back