I will never use liquid yeast again.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlaramie08

Reaction score
Not that I ever really had a problem with liquid yeast, but I did an IPA today and used s-04, sprinkled it on top of the wort and stirred 10 minutes later. Not more than 6 hours later, its bubbling away happily:ban:. In the future, unless dictated by style, I will never use liquid yeast and have to worry about starters and everything it brings about.

Shouldn't you wait for the final beer before declaring this? Not that you won't have great success, but ...

Some beer styles require liquid yeast. All Belgian Beers. Maybe german wheats, although there is a Danstar Munich dry that I haven't tried yet.

That's why I said "unless dictated by style."

@samc
Nope, I'm confident enough in my process that I'll say it now.

I use US05 all the time. It is really reliable, highly attenuating and highly flocculating.

But, it is very neutral.

Also, a fast start to fermentation is not the be all, end all of brewing. I have brewed some really great beers with both dry and to a lesser extent, liquid yeast. But I have never had a beer start fermenting in less than 12 hours. Maybe a flaw in technique? Maybe or maybe not. Yeast should replicate prior to the initiation of fermentation and the initiation after a very short lag could actually be indication of poor yeast conditions rather than good conditions.

I'm still slowly working my way through "Yeast" but I know enough to say that a 6 hour initiation fermentation does not always mean brewing Nirvana.

Gotta agree w/ the OP. I've used liquid yeasts/ starters/ washed yeast the past year or so. Then last week I returned back to using S-05 and I had forgotten how easy it is and how great it works.

So if I'm making an ipa/ apa/ american whea that calls for a yeast w/ clean profile I don't see the need for 1056, 1272 or equivalents.

I have Mon/Tue off at work and the LHBS's in my area are all closed on Sun/Mon so if I neglect to plan ahead with liquid yeast I'm pretty much not going to be brewing...so, I find it nice to have a pack of S-05 on hand for the days I wake up and decide its a good day to brew. The quality is certainly better than it used to be as well. But, in the end of the day, if I plan ahead I still default to Wyeast.

I'm with the op. unless he's also talking about bottle harvested yeast. I've done the past several beers with some Bell's yeast and i love it.

I'm with the op. unless he's also talking about bottle harvested yeast. I've done the past several beers with some Bell's yeast and i love it.

I haven't found the motivation to do this yet. I'm sure I will eventually, but just haven't felt like it yet.

safbrew t-58 is a belgian style dry yeast. i just brewed a belgian rye with it last night. it is a beast of a yeast too.

Just killed a keg of amarillo wheat using t58. Started at 68, let ramp up to 75 naturally and held there for 2 weeks. Great taste for minimal work

safbrew t-58 is a belgian style dry yeast. i just brewed a belgian rye with it last night. it is a beast of a yeast too.

I just used that yeast and got 68% attenuation. I wasn't horribly impressed w/ ferm, but I'll let u know in a couple days how it turned out. Hopefully, not too sweet.

I also am going to try to use dry yeast whenever I can, but the selection is so limited.

I just used that yeast and got 68% attenuation. I wasn't horribly impressed w/ ferm, but I'll let u know in a couple days how it turned out. Hopefully, not too sweet.

This was my first time using the T-58 and I got my belgian rye in the primary and sprinkled T-58 about 12:30am friday night. When I got up a 8am saturday it was going nuts inside and blowing out the tube- and I left plenty of headspace. This was at 70 ambient temperature, the carboy felt warm to the touch so I put in a sink of cold water, which didn't seem to slow it down one bit. By 3pm the krausen was gone and the vast majority of activity was done. It's sitting there at about 70 with no noticeable activity -- looking mighty tasty. My hydrometer broke so I have no clue of where it is, but it was a really hectic 24hours inside that carboy. Guess I'll find out how it did in a couple weeks.

I have no problem with either. I used to use mostly liquid but have become a pretty big fan of dry lager yeasts. For ales I will probably stick mostly with liquid.

Some beer styles require liquid yeast. All Belgian Beers. Maybe german wheats, although there is a Danstar Munich dry that I haven't tried yet.

right now i'm on a fermentis kick - very little you can't do with their stable of yeasts. s-33 even puts off nice belgian flavors in addition to 58, which is very belgian.

right now i'm on a fermentis kick - very little you can't do with their stable of yeasts. s-33 even puts off nice belgian flavors in addition to 58, which is very belgian.

I use either S-05 or -04 for most of my ales. W-64/70 for most lagers. So, I'm definitely on the dry yeast bandwagon.

I don't know of any dry yeast with bacteria for sours. So, there too is a place where you need to go liquid (unless you want to toss grain into fermentor).

I don't brew a lot (if any) American ales, most of mine are Belgian or German. And I really just like the flavors I get from 3068 and all the Wyeast Belgian strains. Oh, and you can't get Brett in dry form (at least not to my knowledge).

To each his/her own though!

Not that I ever really had a problem with liquid yeast, but I did an IPA today and used s-04, sprinkled it on top of the wort and stirred 10 minutes later. Not more than 6 hours later, its bubbling away happily:ban:. In the future, unless dictated by style, I will never use liquid yeast and have to worry about starters and everything it brings about.

I maintain a house strain of WLP001 that I normally have airlock bubbling within 30 minutes (though now I rig blow-offs all the time as a precaution). Just because you have bubbling at 6 hours with one particular batch is no reason to paint yourself into a corner with ingredients.

Shouldn't you wait for the final beer before declaring this? Not that you won't have great success, but ...

Without in any way trying to be critical, I have to agree with samc. I've learned that deliberate convenience and speed are often not aspects of success in this hobby. It reminds me of posters who use their efficiency numbers as badges of honour rather than a way of understanding their set-up and their methodology. IMO, some things, such as doing the right thing by your yeast, trump ease, convenience and speed.

Best of luck to the OP, though.

UPDATE!
I've had a couple of bottles of this brew and I must say, it is my best yet!! Beautiful head, wonderful aroma and great taste! Very proud of this one.

Latest posts

Back