I will build your IPA/IIPA (Part 2)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobbrews, thanks for doing this, there are more than a few brews in this thread that I'll have to try at some point :mug:

Anyway, here's a my request:

*AG
*70% efficiency.
*60 min boil.
*No secondary, dry hopping in primary.
*Leaf hops.
*Start boil volume 6.5 gallons.
*End boil volume 5.5 gallons.
*Don't care about ABV.
*Looking for a summer IPA, so I'd say citrusy, fruity, tropical.
*I have a bunch of Citra and Sorachi Ace I'd like to use. Other hops availabe are Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Magnum, Northern Brewer, Nugget and Willamette.
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? Maris Otter as base malt.
*Wyeast 1056 yeast
*No actual fruit additions. No honey malt or other stuff exclusive to the US :) I'm in Europe, so there's stuff I might not have access to or need to find substitutes for...
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? No, not available to me. Maris Otter is my base malt.
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? IPA.
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? No, I prefer a malt backbone, but not too much.
*65-85 IBU
*Moderate body.
*Moderate taste.
*I like IPAs balanced in the sense that I like a bit of a malty backbone in a hop forward brew (see list of IPAs below).
*Color not very important.
*I like Victory Hopdevil, Rogue Brutal IPA and Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' (as examples of IPAs with a malty backbone).

Thanks!

Love to try your IPA Magic, Bob!

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? All-Grain
*Boil time? In minutes. 60
*Will you rack to secondary? Yes
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? Either.
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? Can do as much as 8 gallons
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5.5 preferred
*What is your desired alcohol content? 7%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? Like Citrus, Fruity, Tropical and/or Piney
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? I'm open to this, but I'd like to give Citra a whirl.
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? I'm open
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? Any White Labs, but since I like a lot of the West Coast Ipa's, perhaps the San Diego strain?
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind?
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? Doesn't matter to me
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? IPA
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? No, I prefer lighter IPAs
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. Medium to Medium-High
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? Moderate
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? Dry to Moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? Not heavy, light refreshing, with some alcohol kick
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Not important, but I do like lighter because they're less malty
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Ballast Point's Sculpin, Alpine Beer Company's Duet, Roge's Yellow Snow IPA, Mammoth Brewing's 395 IPA, Coronado Brewing's Idiot IPA, Both Pliny's

What say you, Bob?!

http://hopville.com/recipe/1488788/american-ipa-recipes/the-vanilla-ice

The San Diego strain would ferment too far for a regular IPA like this. Go with 001.

All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract?
All Grain
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency?
72%
*Boil time? In minutes.
*Will you rack to secondary?
Yes, for dry hop
*Hop Pellets or Leaf?
Pellets or, if Willamette- whole
*What is your start boil volume in gallons?
7.00 Gal
*What is your end batch volume in gallons?
5.5 gal
*What is your desired alcohol content?
6.5-7%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney?
Spicy - not your average AIPA
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind?
LOVE Saaz, have 1/2 pound of Willamette In the freezer but would love for it to be all Noble hops.
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind?
Blackprinz for color
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind?
US-05 or WLP 029 - your choice
Wheat/wheat malt - I feel like I'm in the minority but I don't really like the flavor
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base?
Yup.
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA?
IPA
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA?
As long as its got tons of hop aroma and flavor... I suppose that's a 'no'.
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range.
60-70 is plenty
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body?
Moderate
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste?
Dry to moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you?
Balanced in bitter/grain; but tons of aroma.
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire.
Reddish Brownish; yeish?
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs.
Considering what I'm asking for I don't think this will help you much.

Is this ridiculous? BTW I will absolutely brew this... And not only that, I can't wait!

Odd selections for sure. I took some liberties with the base malt. Let me know how it turns out.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1488851/english-ipa-recipes/the-jason-statham

Just found this. Nice read.

All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract?
All Grain
78%
*Boil time? In minutes.
Either 60 or 90
No, but I can dry-hop in primary
*Hop Pellets or Leaf?
Pellets
7.5 for 60 min boil. 8.25 for 90.
6.0 gal
6-7%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney?
Floral/Pine
Any. Generally prefer American hops
Any.
Clean American Ale Yeast, usu WLP060
NO
Not necessarily
IPA
No, but some maltiness is fine
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range.
50-75
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body?
At least moderate
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste?
Moderate
Not really. IPAs are about hops.
Anything darker than Miller Lite yellow
Lagunitas Pale Ale (an IPA IMO), Inversion, DFH 60, Stone IPA

If it looks good I might well brew it.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1489053/american-ipa-recipes/the-charlie-chaplin

:mug:
*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? All grain
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? This is my 3rd batch I am not sure
*Boil time? In minutes. no preference
*Will you rack to secondary? no preference
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? pellet
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? No prefernce
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5 gallons
*What is your desired alcohol content? 6-10 %
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? I like citrusy, fruity, dank, and floral
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? I have nelson sauvin, bravo, columbus, summit, simcoe, and 2 oz of amarillo (whole flowers)
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? No preference.... above 60 probably
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? Scottish Ale 1728? Not too sure
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? yes
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? either
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? NO!
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. No preference
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? No preference
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? definitely not a malty sweet.... more dry and moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? No, I think pale ales should be balanced. Balance to me is when you can taste just as much malt as hops
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Nothing very dark at all
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Odells Ipa and Mercenary IIPA

I think you would like this recipe, which will be pretty close to Myrcenary. The only thing you'll have to get a boatload of pellet hops. If you don't want to do this, you could use 10% more leaf hops in place of the pellets at the targeted locations -- Columbus in place of Horizon, Nelson in place of Citra, Summit in place of Centennial.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1489128/imperial-ipa-recipes/the-tom-cruise

I am game. As I live outside the US I am a bit limited with ingridients. But am will to try...

bobbrews said:
Please answer the following:

*All-Grain,
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? 70%
*Boil time? In minutes. 120min
*Will you rack to secondary? Can do.
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? Pellets
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 14.75
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 12.15
*What is your desired alcohol content? 6-7%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? Citrusy Fruity
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? I have Cascade, Summit, Galaxy, Magnum, Willamate, Fuggles. Other than that will buy what ever i need via NikoBrew.com
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? My malt selection is limited to the following. Pilsen, Munich, wheat, cystal 40L, 60L, 120L.
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? US05 or any dry yeast.
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? As above on malt options.
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? No
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. No
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? Moderate body
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? Dryish
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? Not fussed.
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Not fussed.
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Sadly I have not tried any...

I know it might be hard to come up with some thing given the limitations, but if you are up for a challenge, I will brew what ever you come up with.
Thanks
Zac

I think you would like this recipe, which will be pretty close to Myrcenary. The only thing you'll have to get a boatload of pellet hops. If you don't want to do this, you could use 10% more leaf hops in place of the pellets at the targeted locations -- Columbus in place of Horizon, Nelson in place of Citra, Summit in place of Centennial.

Thanks very much looks great. I will certainly report back my results!

My Rules:

*Must brew via a full-volume boil
*Must make a yeast starter (Unless you want a Session IPA)
*Must be able to ferment in the 60's (F)
*No SMaSH brews

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? AG
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency?68%
*Boil time? In minutes.60
*Will you rack to secondary? I can to dry hop
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 8.5gl
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5gl bottled
*What is your desired alcohol content? 7-7.5%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Fruity, mainly pears and apples, orange undertones is okay, not so much grapefruit
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? Saaz for bittering, For aroma, Amarillo, Calypso, and Glacier , maybe some pacifica? for aroma I am open to suggestion, doesn't have to be all 4 listed.
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? no
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? WLP001
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? no
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? IIPA
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? little malt flavor
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. 80-90
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? moderate
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? Balance to me is not being so bitter that it melts your face off, tons of hop aroma is great, and not so malty its like a super hopped newcastle, but also not thin like a super hopped cream ale.
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. light amber
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. SN pale ale, SN torpedo, Red Hook long hammer

Original thread can be seen here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/i-will-build-your-ipa-iipa-322573/

Thanks!!!

Post-boil or whirlpool hops in my definition:

1) Drop the wort temp. after boiling VERY quickly down to about 150-160F (a wort chiller helps)
2) Add pellet hops as directed (this is not a cut from the boil hops, it's an extra addition of hops that will steep in the "warm" wort)
3) Avoid cooling fast from this point on... you want a very slow cool down to 65 F (a slow-working ice bath helps)
4) Whirlpool and keep the hops in there for at least 20 minutes, preferably 30-40 or even 60 minutes
5) Rack as usual to your carboy/bucket

I'm game!

*Boil time? In minutes 60
*Will you rack to secondary? I usually do...could go either way though
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 6.75 gal
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5.5 gal
*What is your desired alcohol content? 7.0%
*What is your desired hop aroma No strong preference
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? I have Glacier that I want to highlight since I've never used it before. I also have Centennial, Amarillo and Columbus. No real preference if and how they are used.
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? Nope
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? S-05 because it's easy, but liquid works too if you have a strong preference
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? Nope
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? No preference
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? Malt to balance, but not at the forefront, like 2 Hearted Ale
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. No preference
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? Slightly dry
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? Balance is initial hop bitterness that blends smoothly into a malt backbone
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Not too important. Orange/Red is cool but no big deal.
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Stone IPA, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Ballast Point Sculpin Ale, Fat Head's Head Hunter

All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? BIAB AG
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? 75%
*Boil time? In minutes 90
*Will you rack to secondary? no
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? don't care
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? Have a keggle so can be up to 10 gal
*What is your desired alcohol content? 6-7.0%
*What is your desired hop aroma? No strong preference
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? I have the following; Amarillo (leaf), Millenium (leaf), Delta (leaf), Challenger (leaf), Columbus (pellet), and Willamette (pellete).
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? No
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? S-05/1056 *Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? Nope
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? Yes as I have pale 2-row on hand
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? I want a decent hop bit at the front
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Not too important.
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Racer5, SN Torpedo, Laganitas IPA, Knee Deep IPA/Hoptologist, Hoopstupid

My Rules:

*Must brew via a full-volume boil
*Must make a yeast starter (Unless you want a Session IPA)
*Must be able to ferment in the 60's (F)
*No SMaSH brews

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? extract
*Boil time? In minutes. 60 or 90
*Will you rack to secondary? no, extended primary
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? pellets
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 6.75
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5
*What is your desired alcohol content? 8.7
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? Citrusy, fruity, tropical, some dank
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? no
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? medium crystal malt and oats 3 floyds typically uses Melanoidin as well
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? Something that gets close to De Struise Brouwers house yeast....WLP 550 or 570?
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? no
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? yes
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. 200+...i know its ridiculous they say this beer is 260
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? full body
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? sweet
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? no
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. no, if its purple I'll just close my eyes when I drink it

Original thread can be seen here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/i-will-build-your-ipa-iipa-322573/

http://www.3floyds.com/2011/05/09/shark-pants/ I want to get somewhere near this

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/69669

In case the tasting notes help

Closing this thread out for now (at least until/if I resurrect a Part 3).

I will post the remaining recipes in July/August. I will be on vacation somewhere in between there.

LOL good things come to those who wait! So, waiting patiently...

Enjoy your vaca!!

Hey Bob would you recommend dry hopping in primary or secondary carboy?

You can do either depending on your system. The only thing is you have to be a little more careful when dryhopping in the primary when it comes to final clarity. Give the primary time to settle at counter height so you can siphon directly to your bottling bucket without moving the primary and stirring up the trub.

Bobbrews, thanks for doing this, there are more than a few brews in this thread that I'll have to try at some point :mug:

Anyway, here's a my request:

*AG
*70% efficiency.
*60 min boil.
*No secondary, dry hopping in primary.
*Leaf hops.
*Start boil volume 6.5 gallons.
*End boil volume 5.5 gallons.
*Don't care about ABV.
*Looking for a summer IPA, so I'd say citrusy, fruity, tropical.
*I have a bunch of Citra and Sorachi Ace I'd like to use. Other hops availabe are Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Magnum, Northern Brewer, Nugget and Willamette.
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? Maris Otter as base malt.
*Wyeast 1056 yeast
*No actual fruit additions. No honey malt or other stuff exclusive to the US :) I'm in Europe, so there's stuff I might not have access to or need to find substitutes for...
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? No, not available to me. Maris Otter is my base malt.
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? IPA.
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? No, I prefer a malt backbone, but not too much.
*65-85 IBU
*Moderate body.
*Moderate taste.
*I like IPAs balanced in the sense that I like a bit of a malty backbone in a hop forward brew (see list of IPAs below).
*Color not very important.
*I like Victory Hopdevil, Rogue Brutal IPA and Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' (as examples of IPAs with a malty backbone).

http://hopville.com/recipe/1519394/american-ipa-recipes/the-famke-janssen

Thread closed for future recipe requests (at least until/if I resurrect a Part 3).

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? -- All Grain
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? -- 75%
*Boil time? In minutes. -- 60
*Will you rack to secondary? -- no, primary & cold crash only
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? -- pellets in the boil, leaf dry hop
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? -- 7 gallons
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? -- 5 gallons
*What is your desired alcohol content? -- low end of IIPA style range
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? -- dank/marijuana, earthy, piney
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? -- open to suggestions
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? -- I like honey @ the end of the boil to keep the body lean
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? -- open to suggestions
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? -- spices, adjuncts
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? -- yes
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? -- IIPA
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? -- no
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. -- giver all she's got
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? -- thin/moderate is fine
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? -- dry
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? -- I think balance in an IIPA is tragic, I'd like it to taste and smell like pure hop
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. -- color is not so important on this particular batch
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. -- Pliny the Elder, Surly Abrasive, Founders' Double Trouble, Hopslam

Thanks! :rockin:

Original thread can be seen here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/i-will-build-your-ipa-iipa-322573/[/QUOTE]

OOPS, sorry - didn't realize you had closed it!

I am game. As I live outside the US I am a bit limited with ingridients. But am will to try...

*All-Grain,
*Boil time? In minutes. 120min
*Will you rack to secondary? Can do.
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 14.75
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 12.15
*What is your desired alcohol content? 6-7%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? Citrusy Fruity
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? I have Cascade, Summit, Galaxy, Magnum, Willamate, Fuggles. Other than that will buy what ever i need via NikoBrew.com
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? My malt selection is limited to the following. Pilsen, Munich, wheat, cystal 40L, 60L, 120L.
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? US05 or any dry yeast.
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? As above on malt options.
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. No
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? Moderate body
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? Dryish
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? Not fussed.
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Not fussed.
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Sadly I have not tried any...

I know it might be hard to come up with some thing given the limitations, but if you are up for a challenge, I will brew what ever you come up with.
Thanks
Zac

A slightly odd request for more than a few reasons, especially for someone who has never brewed an IPA, but wants a 12 gal batch under a 120 min boil w/dry yeast. I tried my best with what you gave me...

http://hopville.com/recipe/1519478/american-ipa-recipes/the-gary-busey

Thread closed for future recipe requests (at least until/if I resurrect a Part 3).

A slightly odd request for more than a few reasons, especially for someone who has never brewed an IPA, but wants a 12 gal batch under a 120 min boil w/dry yeast. I tried my best with what you gave me...

http://hopville.com/recipe/1519478/american-ipa-recipes/the-gary-busey

Thanks Bob, I will give it a shot. I have brewed an IPA before, just not an America style IPA. The 120min boil is due to the Pislner malt and brewing at altitude (I live at 3400masl). Not sure if 120 mins is completely necessary, but it works for me.
Thanks again!
Zac

EDIT: The Gary Busey? Awesome name!

Been looking for a "Piney" IPA recipe..

My Rules:
*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? >>>All-Grain
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency?>>>72%
*Boil time? In minutes.>>>60
*Will you rack to secondary? >>>No
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? >>> Pellets
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? >>>7
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? >>>5.5G
*What is your desired alcohol content?>>>6-7%
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? >>>>Piney
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind?- SafaleUS-05
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? >>>Yes
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? >>>IPA
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? >>>No
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. >>>No
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? >>>Moderate
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste?>>>Moderate

I am interested in an IPA recipe. Please set me up with something tasty! I am ordering grain and whatever is necessary as soon as we get this hammered out. I am currently empty in Fermentation! This cannot be tolerated long.

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? - All Grain (BIAB if it matters)
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? - Haven't got a clue.
*Boil time? In minutes. - Normally do 60, but you tell me.
*Will you rack to secondary? - I can, sometimes do, let me know
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? - Here's what I have on hand, (Galena pellet 4 oz, Progress Pellet 4 oz, Warrior Pellet 2 oz, Tettnang pellet 1 oz, Cascade plug 1 oz, Cluster pellet 2 oz, Fuggles plug 1 oz.) Will use anything here, or if something else is required, let me know.
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? I normally start at 6.5
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? Shoot for 5.5
*What is your desired alcohol content? Anything over 5 less than 8 works for me
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? - Avoid Tropical and Dank
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? - Open
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? - Open
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? - I have Wyeast 1272 Ready to go, but can pick up whatever.
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? - Nothing comes to mind but I don't like strange additions.
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? - Dealer's Choice
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? - IPA
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? - Not especially
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. - Hoppy end of the style works for me
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? - Full body
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? - moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? - Balance is good. Enough body to hold up a good hop character
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. - Color not important, Darker than a yellow fizzy please
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. - I like the Latitude 48 IPA by Sam Adams, I like the Rogue IPAs, Abita has a decent IPA. Whitewater IPA, ummm I guess I haven't met many IPA's that I don't like.

Thanks for your time!!

I'm trying to nail down a Widmer Bros. Pitch Black IPA clone and perhaps you could help fill in some of the blanks.
What I know from their recipe, pasted from their website - OG - 1.064 / IBU - 65 / Alc - 6.5% / Hops - Alchemy and Cascade / Grains - 2- ROW PALE, 2-ROW CARAMEL, 2-ROW CARAPILS, SPECIAL ROAST, CARAFA SPECIAL II. They mix Warrior and Millenium hops to create their "Alchemy" hop blend.

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? - All Grain
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? - 75% (as high as 85%, still dialing in my crush)
*Boil time? In minutes. - 90
*Will you rack to secondary? - Yes, to dry hop
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? - Pellets
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 7
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5.5
*What is your desired alcohol content? 6.5%
*What is your desired hop aroma? Match Pitch Black IPA
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? Listed above
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? Listed above
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? -Not sure what Widmer Bros uses, but probably safe to go with S-05 in 1.2L starter
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? - No, but do want to incorporate everything listed above as is their recipe
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? - Doesn't matter
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? - IPA
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? - Somewhat
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? 65, plus or minus a few
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? - Medium
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? - Moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? - Balance is good but obviously higher on both hop aroma and taste/finish.
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. - For this one we want "pitch black" so, no lower than 30 SRM, but not overly roasty (part of the balance).
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. - Pitch Black IPA

Thanks for your time. I'm very curious to see what you can come up with!:rockin:

I'm game!

*Boil time? In minutes 60
*Will you rack to secondary? I usually do...could go either way though
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 6.75 gal
*What is your desired alcohol content? 7.0%
*What is your desired hop aroma No strong preference
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? I have Glacier that I want to highlight since I've never used it before. I also have Centennial, Amarillo and Columbus. No real preference if and how they are used.
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? Nope
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? S-05 because it's easy, but liquid works too if you have a strong preference
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? Nope
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? No preference
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? Malt to balance, but not at the forefront, like 2 Hearted Ale
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? Balance is initial hop bitterness that blends smoothly into a malt backbone
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Not too important. Orange/Red is cool but no big deal.
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Stone IPA, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Ballast Point Sculpin Ale, Fat Head's Head Hunter

http://hopville.com/recipe/1535208/american-ipa-recipes/the-michael-symon

All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? BIAB AG
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? 75%
*Boil time? In minutes 90
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? don't care
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? Have a keggle so can be up to 10 gal
*What is your desired alcohol content? 6-7.0%
*What is your desired hop aroma? No strong preference
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? I have the following; Amarillo (leaf), Millenium (leaf), Delta (leaf), Challenger (leaf), Columbus (pellet), and Willamette (pellete).
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? No
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? S-05/1056 *Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? Nope
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? Yes as I have pale 2-row on hand
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? I want a decent hop bit at the front
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. Not too important.
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. Racer5, SN Torpedo, Laganitas IPA, Knee Deep IPA/Hoptologist, Hoopstupid

http://hopville.com/recipe/1537082/american-ipa-recipes/the-keanu-reeves

I saw your PM saying that you wanted to switch this to All Grain from Extract. Here you go:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1537530/imperial-ipa-recipes/the-andy-dick

Be sure to make a good sized yeast starter and view page 2 of the recipe.

Closing this thread out for now (at least until/if I resurrect a Part 3).

Thank you. Looks awesome, I always make a starter. What temperature would you recommend starting fermentation and should I let it come up in temp as it progresses to get the fruity esters?

I've never used this yeast for a hoppy American beer before, but I would say you have the right idea.

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract? -- All Grain
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? -- 75%
*Boil time? In minutes. -- 60
*Will you rack to secondary? -- no, primary & cold crash only
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? -- pellets in the boil, leaf dry hop
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? -- 7 gallons
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? -- 5 gallons
*What is your desired alcohol content? -- low end of IIPA style range
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy, Fruity, Tropical, Dank/Marijuana, Floral, Earthy, Spicy, Piney? -- dank/marijuana, earthy, piney
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? -- open to suggestions
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? -- I like honey @ the end of the boil to keep the body lean
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? -- open to suggestions
*Do you want to avoid using any specific ingredients? If so, what kind? -- spices, adjuncts
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? -- yes
*Do you want an IPA or IIPA? -- IIPA
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? -- no
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. -- giver all she's got
*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? -- thin/moderate is fine
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? -- dry
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? -- I think balance in an IIPA is tragic, I'd like it to taste and smell like pure hop
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. -- color is not so important on this particular batch
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. -- Pliny the Elder, Surly Abrasive, Founders' Double Trouble, Hopslam

OOPS, sorry - didn't realize you had closed it!

There's a Pliny the Elder clone floating around on the internet. That seems to be 95% what you want. Make a few substitutions such as swapping the corn sugar with honey, and adding some Willamette to the dryhop instead of the newly added Amarillo, which may not appear in the recipe. Cheers!

Been looking for a "Piney" IPA recipe.

1.064 OG
1.012 FG or lower

84% Great Western American 2-row
6% White Wheat
6% Corn Sugar
4% Carahell

28 IBUs Columbus @ 60 min boil
22 IBUs Centennial @ 30 min boil
2.0 oz. Centennial @ 15 min boil
1.25 oz. Simcoe pellets @ 30 min warm (not hot) aroma steep
0.75 oz. Columbus pellets @ 30 min warm (not hot) aroma steep
3.0 - 3.5 oz. assorted Columbus, Centennial, & Simcoe pellets @ 7-10 day dryhop
(You could use straight Simcoe for the dryhop if you want it to stand out)

American Ale yeast

3-4 week primary @ 65-68 F

hey bob, thanks for doing this. i have centennial, columbus and nugget bines loaded with cones and i'd love some single hops IPAs to show off each. i plan to do these with fresh, whole hops. if you'll do just one, please do this for nugget, as this is the variety i know the least about.

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract?

AG

*Boil time? In minutes.

yes

*Hop Pellets or Leaf?

fresh hops

6-7%

n/a...

nugget, columbus, centennial (in that order)

no

no

no, anything that shows off the hops is best

munich is fine, too

whichever you think shows off the hop

again, about the hops...

my favorite IPAs have had less bitterness and higher aroma/flavor, like founder's centennial and lagunitas IPA

*Do you want a thin, moderate, or full body? *Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste?

i've enjoyed all of the above, but probably lean toward more body and sweetness

i don't expect it to be balanced in the traditional sense, but my preferred balance is 6-7% abv, decent FG, 50-70 IBUs and a lot of flavor and aroma hops

no, and if you think a black IPA would be best, rock out

above two, mongo IPA

Edit: Sorry, didn't see this was closed

India Brown Ale for a friend, trying to mix his given preferences with my available ingredients

*All-Grain, Partial-Mash, or Extract?
*If All-Grain, what is your estimated efficiency? 75-80
*Boil time? In minutes. 60, 90 whatever
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? pellet
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? ~6 gallons (I usually scale recipes down to smaller batches)
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 4 gallons
*What is your desired alcohol content? ~7%
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? If so, what kind? I was thinking summit/cascade, but also have CTZ, nugget, chinook, a pinch of Simcoe and Amarillo, and S goldings, northdown, and williamette. Whatever matches the grain bill best
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? I was gonna tweak this for a bit dryer India Brown Ale
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? Nottingham, S-04, S-05, 3711
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? no
*Do you want to stick to a certain amount of theoretical IBUs? Please give range. 65-80
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? dry-moderate
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? somewhat--there should be enough malt to carry the hops, but not steal the show
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. BROWN
*Please list a few of your favorite IPA/IIPAs. DFH 90 (but wants dryer), Pliny, Headhunter

If your still up to the challenge i am in need of a double ipa

*All-Grain,
*If All-Grain, 73%
*Boil time? 60
*Will you rack to secondary? yes
*Hop Pellets or Leaf? no pref
*What is your start boil volume in gallons? 6.5
*What is your end batch volume in gallons? 5.5
*What is your desired alcohol content? 7.5 - 9
*What is your desired hop aroma, i.e. Citrusy,
*Do you want to use a specific varietal of hops? amarillo i have 5 oz of leaf
*Do you want to use a specific type of fermentable? If so, what kind? i have a good availability on Maris otter, rahr, us 2 row and golden promise
*Do you want to use a specific type of yeast? If so, what kind? your wyeast
*Do you want to stick with an American 2-row base? open to fementables listed above
*Do you want a malty IPA/IIPA? i am partial to some malty sweetness
*Do you want a dry, moderate, or sweet taste? sweet taste
*Do you think an IPA/IIPA should be "balanced", and what is "balance" to you? balanced for me is a smooth bitterness followed by a little malt sweetness and a nice grapefruit flavor and aroma
*Is beer color important to you? Please describe what color you desire. open

http://hopville.com/recipe/1519394/american-ipa-recipes/the-famke-janssen

mz5un.jpg

Saturday brewday! :mug:

Small update: brewed, bottled and gone! And this is what it looked like:

sPLq7.jpg

Yes, it was a bit cloudy, and it took two weeks in the fridge before it started to clear up a little bit. I'm not too worried about clarity though.

It came out very much like I requested. Nice malt flavors in the background, silky mouthfeel, quite powerful hop flavor and a very, very nice aroma. You could smell the pineapple/mango/citrus from miles away mmm. I'd say the aroma steep did what it was supposed to :) I will definitely brew this again.

Back