I went for it...with the peanut butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sborz22

Here for a SMaSH'ing good time!
Reaction score
So, I had a tasty peanut butter ale that I kegged about 2 days ago and boy was it delicious. A jar of PB2 and some peanut butter flavoring and this thing was destined for beer greatness. Until it wasn't.

I sampled a beer today expecting an even better beer except I got the opposite. The peanut butter explosion was no more.

I said to hell with it, I don't care about head retention, I just want a solid peanut butter beer. So, I heated up a jar of peanut butter and then mixed it with some boiled water and opened up my keg and tossed in that delicious peanut butter soup.

So, I just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with adding peanut butter to their keg.
I have heard of issues with it clogging the keg but the beer has cooled back down and I have had no issues with pouring yet.

Any comments?

Sorry I don't have any advice/feedback for you but I'd like to hear the progress of your experiment. I'm not a huge PB fan, yet I have a slight obsession with wanting to brew a choco PB beer. It's high on my list of oddball stuff I want to try once I get my staples pipeline sorted.

The best peanut butter beers aren't made from PB2 or peanut butter. They probably aren't made with the extract you used. However, they are made from peanut extract and a nutty malt. Stop dumping peanuts in your beer right now!

The best peanut butter beers aren't made from PB2 or peanut butter. They probably aren't made with the extract you used. However, they are made from peanut extract and a nutty malt. Stop dumping peanuts in your beer right now!

There is a great brewpub around my area that has told me they use actual peanut butter in their beer- and it shows in the lack of any head but its amazing! I also realize they probably add it in the secondary but the beer I made with PB2 and extract disappointment me so much today that I said whatever happens happens. haha

There is a great brewpub around my area that has told me they use actual peanut butter in their beer-

Don't automatically believe anything a brew pub or larger brewery tells you about how they achieved their special flavors. There are many flavor extracts that can produce more desirable flavors than 'real stuff' that you can reasonably dump in your beer. There are many horrible flavor extracts. Find a really good source of extracts that caters to pro brewers.

I wish you the best, but sorry, I instantly cringed when I read that you dumped the "peanut butter soup" in your keg. I fear that the peanut butter will congeal at the bottom of your keg and clog the outtake straw. The beer will be cloudy with oil droplets in it, and as mentioned, will have no head. The few times I have put a little peanut butter flavor into my porters, I used the powder. I will cross my fingers for you.

/cheers

So here is the outcome.

Taste: Reese's eat your heart out, my beer is delicious!

Look: Eww, theres floaties in my beer

Overall, do not do this. It's not worth it especially if kegging. The beer tastes good but there is no head and gross looking pb floaty things.

I used pb2 in a chocolate peanut butter stout and it tasted quite good. If I brew it again I’ll go with approximately 25% more as the flavor was good, just subtle.

I have observed there are two things newcomers seem determined to actualize: peanut butter beer, and bacon beer (let us not even speak of the peanut butter bacon beer thing :drunk:).

It's rare that either effort ends well...

Cheers! ;)

So here is the outcome.

Taste: Reese's eat your heart out, my beer is delicious!

Look: Eww, theres floaties in my beer

Overall, do not do this. It's not worth it especially if kegging. The beer tastes good but there is no head and gross looking pb floaty things.
Well, live and learn. That's what brewing is all about...sometimes things work, sometimes they don't.

/cheers

Back