I want a biscuity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myburgher

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a buscuity Northern English Brown type beer. I would really like the biscuity character to come through, and I shall be using biscuit malt to help me achieve this. I was wondering, how much biscuit malt do I need to use (as a percentage of the whole grain bill) that will bring this character out. Recipes that I have seen specify approximately 6% of the grain bill (They use biscuit malt and special roast - I intend just to use biscuit malt). I think this is too low. My base malt will be pale malt because I can get that for much cheaper than the other types in South Africa. I shall also use crystal malt and some dark malt.

I see that the special roast also has a toasted character to it. Is this necessary in the beer as I won't be using this malt. What dark malt should I use (I can probably get black, chocolate and carafa on short notice)?

Latest posts

Back