I used to like the winter Olympics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
Okay, okay, I still do...but I admit to being quite miffed about turnin on the teevee to see some ski jumping or biathalon or bobsledding or somesuch only to be greeted by a revamped "We Are the World".

For cripes sake, when the hell will they stop celebrating an accused child molester?! I'm sick of it, I tell you! As someone who works with abused childern every day, I object. Big time. And I want to know, exactly know, how much the Jackson estate makes from that little show. Bet its more than the children in Haiti ever see.

It seriously chaps my ass. So much so that I was immediately forced to comsume a succession of Duck Rabbit Amber Ales. . . Hence the placement of this post in Drunken Ramblings.

I miss Eddie the Eagle. Anybody else remember Eddie? The 88 Olympics were a formative event in my life. As a child raised in essentially a POW camp in the middle of nowhere and only 3 channels available that were controllled by a dictator, it was a slender sliver of hope that reached me. I used to love the Olympics.

i gotta say, i agree on the Jackson thing.
When he died, and everyone was sad, all i could think and say was, "A child molester died... good f'king riddance!"

And I havn't given a damn about the olympics in a long time. Like much of TV now, there is no purpose to any of it except money. The olympics are a few weeks of extra commercials. all BS.

Nice rant! And I'm not just saying that because I agree with you. but it helps.

I LOVE the Olympic games. I wish they could just televise most of it. No "human interest" stories instead of showing the sports, no "insider" talk, no accolades for just a few athletes.

Don't get me wrong- I love watching Apollo Ohno skate (he has trained near here, and has skated here) but I also want to see the no-name athletes from smaller countries in less popular sports.

I think the premise of the games is being lost as our NHL stars and famous outlandish snowboarders are covered more than the events themselves.

I agree 100% on the michael jackson thing. I yelled at the TV and asked my wife why a pervert was on during the opening ceremony.

I agree with Yooper about the less popular sports getting more air time. Call me crazy, but I think curling is kind of cool and I actually like watching it, but the only time you are going to see it is at 3am or when and if the USA is in a medal round.

I LOVE the Olympic games. I wish they could just televise most of it. No "human interest" stories instead of showing the sports, no "insider" talk, no accolades for just a few athletes.

Don't get me wrong- I love watching Apollo Ohno skate (he has trained near here, and has skated here) but I also want to see the no-name athletes from smaller countries in less popular sports.

I think the premise of the games is being lost as our NHL stars and famous outlandish snowboarders are covered more than the events themselves.

I agree EXACTLY. I'm okay with a snippet of a human interest story...like talking a little about some athlete who has beaten the odds from an injury or horrible event. But I don't want to see a sappy montage of interviews from his choir director and 2nd grade teacher, set to string music with soft focus. Show the accident that led to the injury, some shots of him doing some rehab, maybe a quick pan of his/her proud parents in the stands, then get on with the sports action.

I am of the opinion that allowing professional athletes into the Olympics has tainted the games. I despise the freakin' "Dream Team", especially. Yes, yes, I know that other countries do it, blah, blah, blah. I don't care. We can't control other countries, but we can control what WE do and I think we should be better than that. Let the amateurs have their day in the sun. (Which would also spare us the embarrassment of having them leave the Olympic Village to go check into 5 star hotels, which is the only thing "good enough" for them. :mad: Sheesh.)

On a brighter note, how 'bout Ohno?! Wow!

They brought MJ back from the dead!!!!!!!Its amazing(not). Thy relly pharked up we are the world..

Damnit, ice skating has started. Why do people still watch this crap? Its not the 80's anymore.

I don't hate ice skating, but I don't like it much either. You know what's worse, though? Ice Dancing! I mean, sure, there is some talent there but what makes it an Olympic sport? That's as bad as rhythmic gymnastics- you know, tumbling with a ribbon.

To me, a "sport" involves athletic competition. It can be as a team, or a pair, or an individual, but I think that something with a point system (like goals), a timed event where you're the fastest, or a jump that is the highest. By my definition, ice skating wouldn't qualify, but ice dancing would be ridiculed.

To me, a "sport" involves athletic competition. It can be as a team, or a pair, or an individual, but I think that something with a point system (like goals), a timed event where you're the fastest, or a jump that is the highest. By my definition, ice skating wouldn't qualify, but ice dancing would be ridiculed.

Beerfest? Covers all those bases...

I don't hate ice skating, but I don't like it much either. You know what's worse, though? Ice Dancing!

Thats what I was talking about. Being a southerner, I always forget to make that distinction.

I completely agree with the sport sentiment. Ice dancing just plain sucks. At least with Gymnastics only a very small portion of the competition involves dancing. I'm sure it takes a lot to do what these ice dancers do, but it doesn't belong in the olympics. There isn't a Swing Dancing contest in the Summer Olympics.

Haha- I think it is! Of course, sometimes only women hockey players truly appreciate other women hockey players.

Heck no! I love watching the women go at it. It's all about skill with the puck because the hitting is eliminated.

I am of the opinion that allowing professional athletes into the Olympics has tainted the games.

I totally disagree. The Olympics should be about the best athletes from each country coming to compete. It doesn't matter what they do in their day job. The 'dream team' you mention must be a US phenomenon. I know nothing of that.

A few seconds of whacko Jacko bothered me less than having to avert my eyes countless times during replays of the luge accident.

I saw footage on the news, but there's been no coverage of it on Olympic footage here in Canada. Even the news stopped showing it fairly quickly. It should never have been shown to begin with. I felt bad for having watched the once.

A little crush, Jill? :D

I admire his ability, but he's not my usual type. Honestly, I'd have to watch the lumberjack Olympics before I start drooling...I prefer mine with hair and shoulders.

Sigh...I have strange taste in men. :D

I totally disagree. The Olympics should be about the best athletes from each country coming to compete. It doesn't matter what they do in their day job. The 'dream team' you mention must be a US phenomenon. I know nothing of that.

From Wikipedia:

In 1989, FIBA, international basketball's governing body, allowed professional NBA players to participate in the Olympics for the first time. Prior to the 1992 Summer Olympics, only European and South American professionals were allowed to play in the Olympics.

The team assembled by USA Basketball for the tournament in Barcelona in 1992 was one of the most illustrious collections of talent assembled in the history of international sport. Of the twelve players on the team, ten were named in 1996 among the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History, the NBA's official list of the 50 greatest players of the league's first 50 years. Because of this star line-up, the team's games usually featured opposing teams asking for pregame photos and autographs with their U.S. opponents—their idols. The USA team was so much better than the competition that head coach Chuck Daly did not call a single timeout during the tournament.​

There have been numerous reports of NBA players at the Olympics behaving badly. I just feel like it takes away from the spirit of the Games.

I admire his ability, but he's not my usual type. Honestly, I'd have to watch the lumberjack Olympics before I start drooling...I prefer mine with hair and shoulders.

Sigh...I have strange taste in men. :D

LOL!! Every summer here, we have a weekend "Highland Games" where we Scotsmen put on kilts and enjoy a variety of manly endeavors, like caber toss. Sweaty, hairy men tossing around long poles - that's a sport!
:tank:

Call me crazy, but I think curling is kind of cool and I actually like watching it, but the only time you are going to see it is at 3am or when and if the USA is in a medal round.

I like the Curling too! There, I said it. I'm finally out of the closet! :D

I would prefer if the Olympics were less nationalistic than they are, but I guess that's just gonna happen. As we seem to feel it compulsory to support the nation over the most dedicated contestant, couldn't we get a new chant? That ooo ess ay repetitive thing grates on my nerve endings. Maybe a song or something instead?

There have been numerous reports of NBA players at the Olympics behaving badly. I just feel like it takes away from the spirit of the Games.

Behaving badly has nothing to do with professional status. It's a lack of character and class and should be dealt with by the country putting those athletes forward. I agree it would be embarrassing to the nation to have people acting like children in front of world view.

I see your point about overwhelming talent being concentrated in a single country. We had the same problem when women's hockey debuted. There was talk about canceling the sport until the competition caught up, if ever. I still think this is preferable to having second tier players taking a gold medal. It takes away from the accomplishment when it's glaringly obvious that the gold medal does not mean the winner is the best in the world or even in the top 100.

I would prefer if the Olympics were less nationalistic than they are, but I guess that's just gonna happen. As we seem to feel it compulsory to support the nation over the most dedicated contestant, couldn't we get a new chant? That ooo ess ay repetitive thing grates on my nerve endings. Maybe a song or something instead?

Thumbs up 100% Gnomey

I just want to see the events. I could care less about the touching story of personal achievement or overcoming the odds. Just show the events.

I just want to see the events. I could care less about the touching story of personal achievement or overcoming the odds. Just show the events.

Funny you say that, I saw the story of the retired Chinese couple coming out of retirement, his tendon operation, their age and trying to win their first Olympic gold medal even though they are world champions. Kind of caught my interest even though I have none for figure skating. I think it would be neat to see them beat these younger kids.

Funny you say that, I saw the story of the retired Chinese couple coming out of retirement, his tendon operation, their age and trying to win their first Olympic gold medal even though they are world champions. Kind of caught my interest even though I have none for figure skating. I think it would be neat to see them beat these younger kids.

I agree. These are the insights that I enjoy. This is the kind of information that gives me an interest in their performance rather than blindly supporting whichever random athlete is representing the country.

The Olympics should be more about personal achievement and outstanding sportsmanship above anything else. This is why I like plenty of background info on the competitors involved.

I agree. These are the insights that I enjoy. This is the kind of information that gives me an interest in their performance rather than blindly supporting whichever random athlete is representing the country.

The Olympics should be more about personal achievement and outstanding sportsmanship above anything else. This is why I like plenty of background info on the competitors involved.

I believe the personal achievement and outstanding sportsmanship happen on during the events. I don't mind the stories, but not in place of covering some other event. I just wont' watch them if I don't want to.

My gripe is that it seems like they can make a "human interest story" about anything these days.

"Canadian Snowboarder trying for Gold Medal after giving up pot 4 years ago!" Then they interview some high school teacher that supposedly saw something special in him and supposedly encouraged him to take up snowboarding or something such.

My gripe is that it seems like they can make a "human interest story" about anything these days.

"Canadian Snowboarder trying for Gold Medal after giving up pot 4 years ago!" Then they interview some high school teacher that supposedly saw something special in him and supposedly encouraged him to take up snowboarding or something such.

I thought along the same lines when they were making a big deal out of that Canadian mogul skier gold medalist whose brother had ceberal palsy (sp).

Like seriously, its not like the actual skier was handicapped in any way.

IDK, call me heartless, but it just seemed like much ado about nothing.

I thought along the same lines when they were making a big deal out of that Canadian mogul skier gold medalist whose brother had ceberal palsy (sp).

Like seriously, its not like the actual skier was handicapped in any way.

IDK, call me heartless, but it just seemed like much ado about nothing.

Sure, they pick on whatever they can but we get to decide on when they are clutching at straws. It's all about our personal feelings.

Well, I turned on the Olympics tonight. And I sat and watched about 40 minutes. They showed a grand total of 2 skaters, and then Dick Buttons and Bob Costas had a fireside chat about one of the skaters for the entire time. Ok, I get that Pluchenko is a story, but really. Primetime. Two skaters. I'm not even sure they showed the scores on the first guy, then a nice long chat.

You know what? I don't care about your little chat by the fireplace. I want to see the flipping games. Curling, biathalon, nordic skiing, snowboarding, etc. Even more skating. I don't want to know what one skater feels about his career, and hear all about him because he's more famous.

Some of the stories ARE good. But why not put the stories on the "lesser" channels, or online, and let the sports be the stories you show us?

Well, I turned on the Olympics tonight. And I sat and watched about 40 minutes. They showed a grand total of 2 skaters, and then Dick Buttons and Bob Costas had a fireside chat about one of the skaters for the entire time. Ok, I get that Pluchenko is a story, but really. Primetime. Two skaters. I'm not even sure they showed the scores on the first guy, then a nice long chat.

You know what? I don't care about your little chat by the fireplace. I want to see the flipping games. Curling, biathalon, nordic skiing, snowboarding, etc. Even more skating. I don't want to know what one skater feels about his career, and hear all about him because he's more famous.

Some of the stories ARE good. But why not put the stories on the "lesser" channels, or online, and let the sports be the stories you show us?

Preach it, Sista!

Wow, you guys have it rough. I turn on the Olympics and I get coverage of events. There is some talking, but it's pretty incidental. In fact, the main station that is covering the games is selling some rights to our sports station and they advertise what's running on each other's stations. Earlier I was flipping between the Germany and Sweden hockey game and speed skating.

I really miss living in North Dakota, where I got CBC on cable. THEY know how to cover the olympics. Seems like there was nearly 24 hour coverage, though it's been a few years. I'd love to see NBC do as much covering of actual events.

What really bugged me was looking at my program guide and seeing 4 hours of coverage book-ended by 8 hours of paid programming on CNBC this Sunday. Seriously? You can't make enough money selling commercial space during the Olympics, that you have to fill an entire day with "20 ways to manage your debt" and Proactiv infomercials? Gimme a break! </rant>

Terje

I really miss living in North Dakota, where I got CBC on cable. THEY know how to cover the olympics. Seems like there was nearly 24 hour coverage, though it's been a few years. I'd love to see NBC do as much covering of actual events.

This time around CTV got the rights to broadcast the Olympics and it's not nearly 24 hour coverage, it IS 24 hour coverage. All the CTV stations are broadcasting nothing but Olympics 24 hours a day. When there are no live events to cover they re-broadcast the earlier events. It's ten minutes to five AM right now and they're showing the half pipe competition again.

I don't like all the side stories, either, but I'm hating the sports that are on. I am not at all interested in X-games. Snowboarding? Come on. Moguls skiing? Seriously? Short-track racing? Really- what, did they discontinue the good stuff like bobsledding and luge, and regular speed skating? Hell, I'd rather watch figure skating than that other stuff.

I don't like all the side stories, either, but I'm hating the sports that are on. I am not at all interested in X-games. Snowboarding? Come on. Moguls skiing? Seriously? Short-track racing? Really- what, did they discontinue the good stuff like bobsledding and luge, and regular speed skating? Hell, I'd rather watch figure skating than that other stuff.

I have to admit there is some skill and athletism to snowboarding, at least just as much as the other winter sports. What I found funny was the hip-hop connection in snowboarding. I am not sure if they were street clothes or uniforms made to look like street clothes but I swear one kid had pants down past his butt with his underwear showing. That would be real funny if that were a uniform made to look that way.

Back