I think I used bad corks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buhay

Reaction score
I had bottled a batch of wine on Sunday and let them stand for a couple days before laying them down, which I normally do.

Today I noticed on 7 of the 28 corks that there is wine seeping through almost. One is about 25% red. I had bought this kit a few months ago but the corks were still in the bag sealed. Is this normal sometimes? Or did I used bad corks? If they all get worse, should I just buy some better corks and recork?

Thanks, Bob

What size and type of corks did you use? And are you using the standard 750 ml bottles?

just the standard size 750ml bottles and the corks were just in the kit. It was a costco kit. Never had this problem before.

The kits corks may have just dried out so much that they didn't expand. After they sat with wine up against them, it may very well have sealed. If the wine stain doesn't get an bigger, I would just let it go.

Back