I think I killed my mill.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_General

Reaction score
I picked up a Philmill I second hand and, after a few batches crushing by hand, I decided to try running it with a drill. I cut the head off a bolt and threaded it in where the crank arm was. My 18V Black and Decker attaches fine and drives the mill just fine until I add grain. The mill jams up when I add more than like 4 grains at a time.

So I decided to ditch the drill and do it by hand. Now I can't get the drill adapter out of the thing so I can't even do it by hand anymore. I'm far from the handy type so maybe I'm just doing something stupid. Am I missing something obvious here?

I had to switch to a corded drill for my mill. My 19.2v craftsman would go through both batteries trying to grind 8lbs of grain. Maybe look on craigslist for a corded drill on the cheap, or go new, I picked up mine at sears for $40 and it works like a charm. About getting the bolt out, could you post a pic? you should just be able to back it out.

It's in there really tight. When I hold the roller and try to back it out, the drill won't budge. I'm starting to think that maybe I'm on the end of the battery and the drill just has no power now.

I use a B&D variable speed drill that is locked at full speed and a dayton ceiling fan speed controller (8 amp). I had to adjust the trim setting to it's lowest setting, but it works great. I can manually adjust the speed with greater ease and repeatability than using the drill alone.

Speed-Control-1AGU6_AS01.JPG

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1AGU6

Salute! :mug:

I did the same thing - also freaked when I couldn't back the bolt out. I believe I used a pair of vice grips to turn it out. If you can't get a good hold of the roller, you might removing one of the retaining clips to slide the roller out. That way you can easily hold and twist the bold out.

Good luck!

I'd try jamming the roller with something that will not damage the knurling, then try backing out the bolt. Try a washcloth, or piece of plastic something.

Back