I think I burnt all my nose hair...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweed

Reaction score
So, I am racking my RIS to the secondary tomorrow, and I propped it up on a bench so any stuff that gets moved around has a change to settle to the bottom in a day. So I was thinking, well.... it can't hurt to open it up and take a quick look and smell. OMYGERD! I didn't even see it, and I could smell the roasty, chocolatey goodness. Then I peered into the black hole... does it end? Wow, total blackness. I take a closer whiff and , wow, that smells strong but good! I take a closer deeper whiff, WOW. I think that burnt my nose! Holy moly, has anyone done a sniff test and you can almost get drunk off the smell? :tank:

I cannnnot wait tomorrow to take a sample. I think I might bottle a 6 pack just to try them and compare without oak, vanilla, and bourbon that's being added when I rack to the 2ndary.

It could be burns from too much CO2. Moving the vessel may have caused it to de-gas a little.

sweed said:
So, I am racking my RIS to the secondary tomorrow, and I propped it up on a bench so any stuff that gets moved around has a change to settle to the bottom in a day. So I was thinking, well.... it can't hurt to open it up and take a quick look and smell. OMYGERD! I didn't even see it, and I could smell the roasty, chocolatey goodness. Then I peered into the black hole... does it end? Wow, total blackness. I take a closer whiff and , wow, that smells strong but good! I take a closer deeper whiff, WOW. I think that burnt my nose! Holy moly, has anyone done a sniff test and you can almost get drunk off the smell? :tank:

I cannnnot wait tomorrow to take a sample. I think I might bottle a 6 pack just to try them and compare without oak, vanilla, and bourbon that's being added when I rack to the 2ndary.

Bet you never do that again! The big whiff of CO2 will knock you on your a$$!

It could be burns from too much CO2. Moving the vessel may have caused it to de-gas a little.

I was almost thinking that I might have been sniffing co2. Wasn't too pleasant!

Bet you never do that again! The big whiff of CO2 will knock you on your a$$!

No way jose. So I guess I'm not the only one, lesson learned! :mug:

I think he's kidding about the burnt nose hair. Pics or BS!

Yes I was being sarcastic, I was thinking after I put back on the lid I should have taken a pic, but the lid was in my hand, and my phones almost too big to take a pic with one hand.... maybe I'll have to take a pic now, haha.

Back when I was in college I was working in the cell culture lab, and had to do a wholesale cleaning of the incubator...we used 70% ethanol for all our cleaning b/c it was the only thing that wasn't potentially toxic for the cell cultures. Believe you me, I got pretty drunk from simply being head deep in a 98*F stainless steel cabinet doused in ethanol...

I think he's kidding about the burnt nose hair. Pics or BS!

Pics as requested :)

Back when I was in college I was working in the cell culture lab, and had to do a wholesale cleaning of the incubator...we used 70% ethanol for all our cleaning b/c it was the only thing that wasn't potentially toxic for the cell cultures. Believe you me, I got pretty drunk from simply being head deep in a 98*F stainless steel cabinet doused in ethanol...

That's got to be prety different, getting intoxicated without drinking :drunk:

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

I'm soaking some oak cubes in bourbon with some vanilla beans tossed in for a barleywine I'll be brewing in a month or so. The other day I decided to give it a smell so I took the lid off and took a big whiff...of alcohol vapor. I think I cleared my sinuses in about 2 seconds. Important tip: when you take the lid off a jar full of bourbon let it breathe for a minute before you stick your nose in it.

Back