I noobed it....165 to about 170 F mash mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmmBeer

Reaction score
My thermometer failed me at the crucial point and I overheated my specialty grains. Tannins turned it bitter and it was to be an arrogant bastard clone so I have it aging in the secondary with its second dry hopping.

Is there anything I can do to help deal with the tannin bitterness? I tried sample while transferring the two times and it was really bitter. I will let it age and have it as my last resort because there is no way I am dumping it.:(

Are you sure its bitter from the tannins and not the hops? Freshly brewed wort, especially a hoppy recipe tends to be terribly bitter before it has a chance to sit.

You're fine. What Gtpro said. 170F, by itself, isn't really enough to pull a lot of tannin out of a pound or two of specialty grains. You'd need a high pH as well. It's not as if all the tannin suddenly jumps out of the husks the moment you exceed 168F.

If its an AB clone you probably used Chinook's and they are very harsh. I dont think you can tell what a beer is going to taste like until it has fermented and conditioned for about 6 weeks. Just my opinion. Let it do its think and let us know how it turned out in another 4 weeks or so.

Thanks for the info guys, I still have not bottled it but will do it soon. I have just been to busy.

willamette and chinook were used so no real surprise it is also the first time I have dry hopped, and twice at that!

I will let you know how it turns out in a few weeks....

FWIW, I did something very similar (steeped for 35m @ 170) when I was making my stout a couple weeks ago. Took a gravity reading yesterday and had a taste, and it was fine (well, for "raw green stout" values of fine, anyway). So hopefully it's like the others have said, you've just got a very hoppy batch and it'll turn out OK in the end. Good luck!

Back