I Need Some Insight.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
hey gang, i'm in a situation in my life and i don't know what avenue to wander down. i respect all of you ladies and gentlemen, your intellect, experiences in life, and your wit.

i am about to be going through my 2nd divorce (sux, i know. neither are due to my wanting to give up and leave!:mad: ), am out of a job, and can't seem to get a job in my field of work in this over-saturated time of unemployment due to Hurricane Rita. there are so many people out of work here, and waiting in line for $8.00/hr jobs. it sucks.
here's where y'all come in. what do i do? go back to school and get another degree (here local at Lamar University), take a chance on a possible brewery job in Western Colorado for $9/hr, or just try to find a job in my field somewhere else in the country, or what? i'm stumped and very, very frustrated. i'm willing to move and really want to to start all over, meet new people, and experience new life.

this should be in the drunken ramblings, but i haven't had a drop in almost week....not in the mood....:rolleyes:

let 'er rip!

See, when I was that situation (although not married) I broke out the bourbon and country music! Made good company for awhile, but probably not productive if you ask someone who knows better.

I hid out in school for almost 2 years and got a much better job afterwards and enjoyed the experience to boot. Not a bad plan, really. You know we're all envious of the brewery job, but at that wage it would obviously have to promise more of a future at some point.

The other stuff ya just gotta get through in one piece, or as few as possible.

DeRoux's Broux said:
hey gang, i'm in a situation in my life and i don't know what avenue to wander down. i respect all of you ladies and gentlemen, your intellect, experiences in life, and your wit.

i am about to be going through my 2nd divorce (sux, i know. neither are due to my wanting to give up and leave!:mad: ), am out of a job, and can't seem to get a job in my field of work in this over-saturated time of unemployment due to Hurricane Rita. there are so many people out of work here, and waiting in line for $8.00/hr jobs. it sucks.
here's where y'all come in. what do i do? go back to school and get another degree (here local at Lamar University), take a chance on a possible brewery job in Western Colorado for $9/hr, or just try to find a job in my field somewhere else in the country, or what? i'm stumped and very, very frustrated. i'm willing to move and really want to to start all over, meet new people, and experience new life.

this should be in the drunken ramblings, but i haven't had a drop in almost week....not in the mood....:rolleyes:

let 'er rip!

Wow DB, first I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Next, have you
explored real opportunities outside of your comfort zone. What I mean is have you seriously considered moving? It may be a bit scary thinking about moving to the unknown but as I see it you don't have any opportunities where you are. Moving for $9/hr isn't going to get you where you need to be. Go ahead and start looking for opportunities in your fiield nationally.

Do you have the resources to start over in another field? That takes time and money. Have you looked at the trades? You say you want to move but why haven't you?

I need some more inputs.

yea, i've been applying for some industrial hygiene/safety positions throughout Texas and one in NM. just not having any luck or feedback. just can't seem to catch that break or get a good lead on anything. i really want out of that industry. that's why i want to go back to school. something to get me out of the refineries and chem plants for good.

DB, have you explored what FEMA may have to offer for Katrina victims. Grants or help with vocation training things like that.

no, but i am looking into grants for going back to school. we already got some aid from FEMA, but it was for displacement. i kinda feel between the cracks due to the home not having severe damage, and "our" income.

Well then, you are going to have to go back and get re-trained. That's the reality I see. I have constantly been having to re-train just to keep up with my field. It's getting harder all the time. That is why I have been looking outside my realm for other opportunity. No what I mean? :D

Boy if I had a chance to go back to school, I'd do it in a second...and Boulder would be a pretty good place I think. Good school, mountains, and 1/2 the breweries in the US near by.

El Pistolero said:
Boy if I had a chance to go back to school, I'd do it in a second...and Boulder would be a pretty good place I think. Good school, mountains, and 1/2 the breweries in the US near by.
Only problem with being in school (in my experience) is you have to get in good with a friendly bartender or you're in Red Dog city (do they even make that anymore?). It also sucks when the friendly bartender's shift starts at 4pm and ends at 9, but at least you get to bed relatively early. Also, 'the man' never looks for a 1979 Grenada at 9:30 (again, in my experience).

well, i'll be confined to the beauty of Beaumont, TX for school due to $$$$. just not looking forward to being a 33 yr old sophmore......it's bad enough i already have grey hair. plus, i'll be too old to hit on the chicks now that i'll be single again "oooh, the old man is staring at me again!".

i feel like George Castanza.....too bad the Astros don't need a good son of a b**ch!

DeRoux's Broux said:
i am about to be going through my 2nd divorce (sux, i know. neither are due to my wanting to give up and leave!:mad: ), am out of a job, and can't seem to get a job in my field of work in this over-saturated time of unemployment due to Hurricane Rita.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that.

But if you don't really feel happy with where (location) and where (job wise) you are and you have the funds, I'd say take the chance to move. Looks like there is noting, except friends and memories, that keep you there. Try to find a job in your field elswhere or go to school somewhere else. There seem to be many places in the country where cost of living isn't that high.

But I'm propably the one here who knows the least about shools and job marked in the US. I'm just saying what I would do in you situation and my roots are pretty loose to begin with.

Regarding the $9 brewery job, check out the cost of living and see how you could live there off this kind of salary. And check out what you would do in case you loose this job too. Would there be other oportunities for you?

i'm willing to move and really want to to start all over, meet new people, and experience new life [/qoute]

This would be your chance. No kids, no SWMBO, no job.

Kai

Dude, I don't know your financial backing situation or anything--(like if maybe the parents can help out for a while), but you seem really into brewing and you are ready for a change, I'd say F it and try out Seibel Institute or even the ABG courses (some are even online there I think) and do something you want to do.

What kind of chick wouldn't be fascinated by a dude who brews beer for a living? You'll be pushing 'em away.

what do i do?

You answered your own question Grasshopper

go back to school and get another degree (here local at Lamar University), take a chance on a possible brewery job in Western Colorado for $9/hr, or just try to find a job in my field somewhere else in the country, or what? i'm stumped and very, very frustrated. i'm willing to move and really want to to start all over, meet new people, and experience new life.

DeRoux, put your chin up. If the effort and quality advice you put into this forum reflects your work ethic and value to a company, I'm certain you'll be an asset anywhere you are.

Dare I suggest a third alternative? You're already considering coming to my state. In Denver, we're looking for a driver for a local route. The route's 30-35 hours a week, night shifts. You're usually done around midnight, so it's not that bad. I believe it's around $400 take home a week. The prerequisites are easy, fairly clean liscense and clean urine.

I'm sorry to hear that, man.

I've haven't seen you mention it.... but do you have kids? If so, I'd suck it up and stay in the area for their sake.

Otherwise, if you can make it in Colorado doing the job you want to do, I'd go for it. I think the fresh start would be awesome.

Or, as Dude suggested, go to UC Davis or Seibel. If you really want to brew for a living, I don't think you could do better than that. Even if you had to take an assistant position, you'd greatly increase your chances of landing a gig as a brewmaster somewhere.

thanks guys. yea, i forgot to mention no rug rats involved, in either divorce thank God!

i've looked at Siebel really hard, and have been for a couple years now. i've looked at the cost of living in Palisade, CO too. it's fairly low, and 10-12 miles from Grand Junction, which is probably the largest close city/town (has one brewpub, it think?).

i do work hard, reliable, loyal, want to learn. the smart, conservative thing to do would be to stay home, live with the folks, and go back to the good, local U and get my BS in something that will get me out of town, and something that i will enjoy.
the adventurist, spontaneous side of me say "screw it, fly to Palisade, CO for the brew meeting and go for a dream. if it works out, you gain some valuable hands on experience and a chance to maybe move to a larger brewery or step up to headbrewer. then go to Sieble to solidify my value as a brewer".

i dunno. a lot to sort out......

Well, at least for me, flying to CO for the interview would be a no-brainer. In the grand scheme of things it's a relatively low outlay (even at your own expense) just to see what that option is all about, as well as just check out that area.

DeRoux's Broux said:
i feel like George Castanza.....too bad the Astros don't need a good son of a b**ch!
Have you checked out employment with the Astros? I knew a guy that worked in marketing for them...and I know he didn't have any kind of degree.

hehehe, pretty funny guys!

haven't really considered the 'stros! but tix go on sale today at 9 am!!!! i don't have a home of my own, don't have a job, wife left me, BUT DAMN IT I'M MAKING OPENING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haven't missed one in years and this ain't gonna sttop me!!!!

Bad news DeRoux,
I'm having an extra couple of beers for you.

My advice is to get out. If you stay where you are you will be in the same position indefinitely. Right now you can't find work in a skinny job market filled with displaced people like yourself. OK, you go to school and get a degree... so do half of those displaced people. You finish up your degree in some new field and you will be fighting those same people for the new jobs.

Change your outlook. Follow a dream, follow a whim. If you can get the job and live off $9 an hour; great experience for the future (and maybe you can cut down your brewing costs). If you can afford to, relocate and go to school.

I really recommend moving to break a routine. You stay in one place you repeat, repeat, repeat.
No matter where you go, there you are. You will not be able to lose yourself moving, no matter how hard you try. But it does let you escape the influences/ environment you are stuck in. Leaving it all behind is liberating, and therefore scary.

You will go through this and you will survive and you will still be yourself. Your obligation is to use this time to improve your future situation.

thanks catfish. just want to do the right thing. seems like my last few decisions have not gone good for the home team, so just a little gun shy and being over-analytical of everything.

thanks guys. yea, i forgot to mention no rug rats involved, in either divorce thank God!

You're 34 years old with no kids to hold you back, take advantage of the situation and I 110% agree with Catfish

My advice is to get out.
Change your outlook. Follow a dream, follow a whim.
I really recommend moving to break a routine.
You will go through this and you will survive and you will still be yourself. Your obligation is to use this time to improve your future situation.

We already know whats going on with you and where you are right now, and that dont seem to be working, so why not? Whats the worste that could happen? If it dont work out after the change then chalk it up to a lesson learned and try something else. It could be the best thing you ever do IF you give it a shot.

I know it's a big step but you never will get anywhere if ya dont take a step in some direction.

First off DB, I'm really sorry for what you're going through. I know I'm a newbie in the brew world, but not necessarily in life. My father always told me, "Never give advice unless it's asked for or it's an emergency." So I think actually your situation qualifies on both counts, so here goes....

Catfish gives you some great advice! If I was your age again (never thought I'd think 33 was young) and in your shoes, I would definitely pack it up and follow a dream. Our economy has been sucking long enough that everyone in your shoes goes back to school to become more marketable, instead of focussing on what would make them happy. Money, in large amounts, really is evil. I would much rather do a job that I loved to go to rather than make twice as much coin at a job I hated. And what better place to clear your head than high in the mountains! Good luck in your decision and God bless!

I've been thinking about your position since I read the first post last night, but have kept my mouth shut while I tried to put myself in your shoes.

It's always easy to tell someone to make a big, bold move and follow a dream what that person is not you (kind of like it being easier to gamble with some one else's money.)

However, you ARE in a prime position to make such a move. No wife, no kids, no job currently, etc.

Question: I don't know what your current line of work is, but is it something that allows you to work anywhere in the country, and is it something that could tolerate a leave of absense for a few years?

In my industry, stepping away from the line of work for a few years would make it VERY difficult to come back later. Things change rapidly in my industry, and it's easy to see your skills become outdated pretty quickly. My stepping away from my line of work might actually mean I was stepping away from it with no chance of return.

However, if your line of work lends itself to taking years away and is available across the country, then I think I would (in your shoes) go ahead and take the gamble and try the brewing job in CO. If things don't work out, you could always fall back to your previous line of work and make a go at it in a new place with new faces. If things DO work out, you will regard that gamble as the best thing you ever did.

My $0.02, for what it's worth.

-walker

DeRoux's Broux said:
just want to do the right thing. seems like my last few decisions have not gone good for the home team, so just a little gun shy and being over-analytical of everything.

A little bit ago, when you thought you couldn't have the $9/hr brewing job it seemed like a great option. You only start to question it (as far as I know) when it became a posibility. It isn't you, it's everyone (we love what we can't have and question what is available).

I really wish you the best of luck. Making a decision that will change your day-to-day is the hardest decision to make. In all honesty it is hard, but you have done harder things. No matter where you go there will be people (within reason, Antarctica is sorta crummy) and there will be brewers. I think a good percentage of the people on this site (any regular) would help you out.

If you want to Re-Locate, Japan ain't bad. Shipping costs Suck but the country is great.:D

walker, good point. though my job market (industrial hygiene/safety) isn't marketable all over the country, i could leave for a few years and probably come back and get a contract safety job in the refineries. work sucks, but pays good (which is the wholereason i'm determined to change careers!).

thanks too mr. turtlehead.
all good points, and that's what i was hoping for (and expected) from you guy's.

i

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune DB. :(

For what it's worth, Oregeon State University has a brewery science program. (Wish I would have gone that route in hindsight). Corvallis, where it's located, is very cheap. And the Pacific Northwest is home to more microbreweries than you could shake a racking cane at.

AHU

thanks AHU.

it's been consistently getting worse since that damn hurricane hit, and can't seem to catch a break or get out of this rut.

it's amazing how your life can do a 180 so fast. 3 years ago, happily married to my high school sweetheart (dated 8 yrs, married 8 yrs), she was a financial advisor, i had a GM job for an environmental company, bought a home on the street i grew up on, had an awesome harley, traveled, couldn't have been better. then WA-POW! kicked in the gut. she files for divorce, have to sell the home, work goes downhill........sucks. i'm a good guy too, Christian, don't lie, don't steal, don't cheat, etc. then get re-married and it hasn't been the same since. don't have anything to lose, 'cause i lost it all in the 1st divorce. got the dog and my brew gear though!!!

sorry. don't need to me ramblin' about my troubles. we all have them and just need to deal with them.

You gotta look at this as a second chance. If you are really ready to go back to school, do it! When I was in engineering there were a few 'mature students' who worked really hard and got awesome grades because they knew what they wanted and why they were there. Meanwhile, I was hungover and flunking (another story.) The point is now is your chance to really apply yourself to something you really want to do. (Even if it means being the old guy sitting at the front of the class blowing the grade curve) ;)

DB, I am also sorry to hear about your troubles, and I hope that you turn a more positive corner in the near future.

I think you have a good range of advice here. As Walker said, it is easy to dispense advice when you are not in the same situation. However, the majority of that advice is leaning towards the "move and take a chance" option. I can honestly say, if I was in your situation, I would indeed take a chance and move. Living with your parents whilst going through a divorce and hunting for a job that is ever elusive is only going to damage your morale, and probably effect your relationship with your parents. A clean break will revitalise you, give your self esteem a boost, and you never know, may be the best thing you ever did. Do you think you would be happy living in TX and wondering what might have been? You seem to me to be a very resourceful, knowledgable, and confident person...you have survived past troubles, and no doubt you will survive anything the future throws at you. If you have worked out that you can survive in CO financially, then that's the logical box ticked.

I took a chance a year ago and left a very cushy career in academia to give industry a try. Now I can honestly say that it hasn't worked out as I had hoped, and I sometimes wish I was back in academia...but I never regret making the move because it gave me a fresh outlook, new experiences, and will probably serve me well in the long run, particularly if I decide to go back to academia. I will never know the "what if" scenario because "I did"!

Try a different road DB, all the signs are pointing that way.

I agree that this is a second chance for you. Nothing's holding you back, so do what you really want to do. If you follow your heart and fall flat on your face - so what?! How would that be any different than where you're at now? And there's nothing wrong with going back to school at 33, if that's what you decide to do. You probably won't be the only one. And some young college chicks dig the older guy!

I decided once to completely change directions, location, etc. It didn't work out, but it was beneficial b/c I learned a lot about myself and what I really wanted to do in this world. I wouldn't trade that time for anything. I personally believe everybody goes through three distinct changes in there life - involving their career, emotions, finances, homelife - all those things rolled into one big ball o' wax!

Now is your chance. Take it. Good luck!:)

When I got laid off from IT 6 months after 9/11 I thought I could find work. I looked.. hard.... wish I spent the time golfing.. and brewing.. would have been better spent I tell you. I tried the school route. I felt old... and tired... and frustrated that I had to deal with the school sh*t after owing soo much to the government already. I think if this is your chance to actually start over again clean... then take it as a gift. Do it. Not many people can do this easily.

Rhoobarb said:
I personally believe everybody goes through three distinct changes in there life - involving their career, emotions, finances, homelife - all those things rolled into one big ball o' wax!

And those three distinct changes are?

AHU

well, i'm kicking myself in the rear too. redhook had called me for a cellar spot in Portsmouth, NH a week or so ago, and i didn't call back because my wife and i were just "seperated" and i didn't know what she was going to do (damn it!).

i sent an e-mail back, maybe they'll call back. said it had good benefits, work 45 hrs week on 4 day shifts, 1 weekend coverage a month. not in the brewhaus, but could lead to that. plus, NH looks cool!

thanks for all the kind words guy's. i really want to take the leap too.....

Sorry to hear you're in a tough spot. Here's hoping things turn out in your favor. There will always be folks that have it better, and folks that have it far worse, so just do your best. The road you take in life is always under construction :)

Latest posts

Back