I need more CO2!! How do I do it??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Last week I bottled my beer the same night I was packing last minute to go to San Diego. While drinking home brews and running around the house, I realized after bottling that only half of my priming sugar was dumped into my bucket before botting!

So now what do I do??

Do I create another batch of priming solution and put half of it in my bottles drop by drop?

Do I wait 2 more weeks and check the carbonation level before tinkering with it?

Do I pour every beer back to the bucket and redo priming sugar mixture?

Thanks for the help guys! :mug:

I wouldn't risk messing with it. Your beer will just be undercarbonated. It's not the end of the world and won't ruin a batch. Unless you're planning on sending this in for a competition, I'd let it go and just be more careful next time.

I wouldn't risk messing with it. Your beer will just be undercarbonated. It's not the end of the world and won't ruin a batch. Unless you're planning on sending this in for a competition, I'd let it go and just be more careful next time.

I was hoping for something more. One thing is I filled all the bottles pretty high (about 3/4" from the top). So there's not a lot of room for more liquid.

But I read somewhere that somebody put some more carbonating fluid in their beers but I couldn't find it with the search engine. I don't want to mess with it, but I hate to have half the carbonation I should have. I also have never done this so I'd like to at least know how it might turn out being half carbonated.

Thanks again :eek:

I agree with letting it go. If you were to pour them all in the bottling bucket again, you would risk oxidation - which will give you a far more unpleasant taste than a little flat beer.

Did you bottle in all 12 oz bottles? If you bottled in bombers you could try adding a coopers carbonation drop to each bottle. Since they say 1 per 12 oz, it would slightly over carb a 22oz bomber if you had half the sugar required. Otherwise I would just live with slightly under carbed beer. That or buy a kegging system and transfer them to a keg and force carb them the rest of the way.

You may not even necessarily have undercarbed beer. Final carbonation can be affected by CO2 already in solution, healthiness of the yeast, and a few other factors too. Definitely let it carb for 3-4 weeks, and you should be in good enough shape.

(I vote just leave it and be more careful next time).

I don't know why but when I read the title of the thread I kept thinking " I NEED MORE COWBELL!!!"

Carb drops. These are hard sugar lumps. Uncap, add 1/2 as many drops as the directions call for, re-cap.

Carb drops. These are hard sugar lumps. Uncap, add 1/2 as many drops as the directions call for, re-cap.

This was one of the only posts that does not say "Leave it alone". I still don't know how flat it might be, but I really don't want it to turn out good but flat.

If I take the chance on these carb drops, should I wait the 3-4 weeks before doing so? And then if I do need them would the LHBS carry them?

Thanks again:D

This was one of the only posts that does not say "Leave it alone". I still don't know how flat it might be, but I really don't want it to turn out good but flat.

If I take the chance on these carb drops, should I wait the 3-4 weeks before doing so? And then if I do need them would the LHBS carry them?

Thanks again:D

First off, there's a reason why so many people agree on leaving the beer alone. You may not want flat beer, but would you rather drink undercarbonated (not flat) good beer, or perfectly carbonated infected or oxydized beer? The more you handle the beer, the higher the risk gets.

Yes, you can get carbonation drops at your LHBS. The ones being suggested are an orangish color and are covered in sugar. I don't suggest using the Munton's drops as they don't fully dissolve in the beer. I would wait the 4 weeks before making a decision on using anything though. You may find out that you have the right carb level as is.

Yes, you can get carbonation drops at your LHBS. The ones being suggested are an orangish color and are covered in sugar. I don't suggest using the Munton's drops as they don't fully dissolve in the beer. I would wait the 4 weeks before making a decision on using anything though. You may find out that you have the right carb level as is.

I will wait 3 more weeks and see what I have. If it is good but too flat I will try these drops but at that time will the yeast still be active enough to carbonate?:confused:

I will wait 3 more weeks and see what I have. If it is good but too flat I will try these drops but at that time will the yeast still be active enough to carbonate?:confused:

If you decide to add the carb drops, just give them a swirl when you add them, and another once the drop has dissolved. There will still be live yeast in there, and when it gets more food and is in suspension, it should go to work.

Yeast takes a lot of abuse. Unless you freeze it, it'll always be alive in your beer. This is why we can harvest yeast for clone recipes from craft brews that are unfiltered.

Back