I need a National League team to "adopt"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude said:
That isn't it. I just don't want him coming back in a few years and regretting it. The Brewers are small market, they will NEVER be able to compete with the big boys. I've suffered through too many years of misguided hope.

I still feel I have to be a Brewers fan, and I watch, support and root for them, but the last time the Brewers sniffed the playoffs was 1982. Come on. The only "good" moments I can think of since then, I can count on one hand.

1. Easter Sunday 1987
2. Mollie's hitting streak
3. Nieves no-no (and the greatest no-no saving diving catch I've ever seen, period)
4. Uh......(okay a mini one) Seeing Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks hit homers in the same game in their rookie years was pretty cool.
5. Uh..........

Once the Brewers groom a decent player, they can't afford to keep him. Prince, Weeks, Gwynn, they'll all be gone in a few years. We are the classic farm team.

Dude, Shame on you. Are you a Brew fan or not???

First of all and self- respecting Brewer fan would NEVER repeat NEVER recommend following the Chubs. That's like you telling him the he should watch the Bears instead of the Pack.

The "good moments"? here are a few:

Higuera's 20- win season
Robin's 3000th hit
Robin's Hall induction
Uecker's Hall induction
Molitor's Hall induction
Sheet's 19-strikeout game (vs Atlanta)
Record-breaking base hit game vs Toronto (in 92 i think)
Listache's rookie-of-the-year
Podsednik's rookie of year (Well he SHOULD have gotten it!)
Hank Aaron's final hr's as a Brewer
any win over the Cubs
there are more I'm sure

And yes they've been in pennant races since 82. In 83, 87, and 92 they were the last team eliminated. In 92 they would have been a wild-card, but that wasn't implemented till the next year.

Bird, go for the Crew. They're young. They've got good coaching. They may not win a bundle(I personally am taking a cautiously optimistic approach this year) but the potential is there if they don't fill up the DL like last year.

Just don't go for the Cards or the (ugh) Cubs, OK?

the_bird said:
Bob Uecker was a Brewer, that's right...

I *loved* Mr. Belvadere!

Well, technically he was a Brave, but that is splitting hairs. ;)

Currently he is the Brewer's play by play guy on the radio--and fully worth listening to every single night. He has one of the best home run calls ever, and you won't stop laughing during a broadcast. Dude is just freaking hilarious.

Dude said:

Currently he is the Brewer's play by play guy on the radio--and fully worth listening to every single night. He has one of the best home run calls ever, and you won't stop laughing during a broadcast. Dude is just freaking hilarious.

SWMBO mocks me when I say this, but "Major League" is one of my five all-time favorite movies. Don't ask me to list them, but it's up there.

Dude said:

He was also a Phiily, and a member of the Cardinals' World Championship team (in '65, I think)
Nobody got more mileage out of a bad baseball career than Uke. I was thrilled when he was elected to the Hall as an announcer. I just hope he doesn't hang on to long, like Harry Caray. Caray is 80% of the reason I hate the Cubs so much. The Chicago media and my MIL's ex are the other 20%:p

the_bird said:
SWMBO mocks me when I say this, but "Major League" is one of my five all-time favorite movies. Don't ask me to list them, but it's up there.

Full of great Uke lines, I even use them at the Hockey games after a shot goes wide...
"Juuuust a bit outside...'

the_bird said:
I've decided...

How can I *not* listen to the Ueck every night if I have the choice? Where can I hear the games online?

You can get an online subsription and listen to every game of the season for something like 14 bucks. I do it every year.

Check out MLB.com--they have a link.

I guess you could buy XM radio too.

When the Sox won the WS a couple years ago, every time Big Papi came to bat, I would say "F*ck you, Jobu, I do it myself!" I built a little shrine and everything, put out some rum, a cigar...

Eddie Harris: You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

You will NOT regret following the Brewers. They have it all- drama, excitement, and loss. And that's just in the franchise owner's. You have to be a long suffering soul to root for the Brewers. And there are sausage races and Harley's at the game. You don't get THAT in a large market. C'mon, be an honorary Cheesehead like me.

Yooper Chick said:
You will NOT regret following the Brewers. They have it all- drama, excitement, and loss. And that's just in the franchise owner's. You have to be a long suffering soul to root for the Brewers. And there are sausage races and Harley's at the game. You don't get THAT in a large market. C'mon, be an honorary Cheesehead like me.

Minus the Sausages and the Harleys that's the same as being a Cub fan...

Ize

Yooper Chick said:

Um, Lorena, you do know that the Seligs don't own the crew anymore, right? They sold the club a couple years ago.....(thank god)

BTW bird, here's another reason to follow the Crew: Since you like Major League so much (and rightly so) did you know it was filmed in Milwukee? Pre-Miller Park, of course, at old County Stadium:)

Bernie Brewer said:
Um, Lorena, you do know that the Seligs don't own the crew anymore, right? They sold the club a couple years ago.....(thank god)

Was that 2 or 3 years ago? It's gotten to be a blur and I'm too damn lazy to look it up tonight. IIRC he had to to stay Commish didn't he?

Ize

the_bird said:
The Seligs sold the Brewers? I didn't know that - that was one thing I was hesitating on... cool, Bud's a friggin' tool.

Bud's not so bad, it's his damned daughter that was running the team into the ground. Now that Antanassio (I'm sure I butchered that spelling) has the team things are getting better slow but sure.

Bernie Brewer said:
Bud's not so bad, it's his damned daughter that was running the team into the ground. Now that Antanassio (I'm sure I butchered that spelling) has the team things are getting better slow but sure.

I guess I had forgotten that. Maybe they'll come around......

So now that the_bird is pretty much a Brewers fan now....let's talk Brewers.

Is Braun ready to be an everyday 3rd baseman? Do you throw him out there like we did with Prince, Weeks and Hardy? I say we do it, but I don't think he is ready. It's just they have no other options at 3B. Koskie stinks, Graf is at best a utility guy, and I'd rather have Hall (a pretty decent 3B) in CF.

I think the team will struggle this year. Starting pitching if they can stay healthy will be decent 1-3, but the bullpen is an absolute wreck. SOMEONE needs to step up. That will kill us every single day--just like last year. But I am looking forward to seeing Sheets and Cappy. If they stay healthy, man.....

Offense will be streaky. It'll hurt not having a steady bat that can carry them like el caballo was. I like Weeks, Fielder and Hall though. That should be fun to watch most days.

Dude, what do you think of the Suppan signing? I think it was a lot of money for a guy who has pretty much defined medicority over his career (until last year).

the_bird said:
Dude, what do you think of the Suppan signing? I think it was a lot of money for a guy who has pretty much defined medicority over his career (until last year).

Exactly. He'll be the solid #3 I mentioned earlier, but he isn't all that special I don't think. SP are better than last year, but the bullpen is a real mess.

Dude said:
So now that the_bird is pretty much a Brewers fan now....let's talk Brewers.

Is Braun ready to be an everyday 3rd baseman? Do you throw him out there like we did with Prince, Weeks and Hardy? I say we do it, but I don't think he is ready. It's just they have no other options at 3B. Koskie stinks, Graf is at best a utility guy, and I'd rather have Hall (a pretty decent 3B) in CF.

I think the team will struggle this year. Starting pitching if they can stay healthy will be decent 1-3, but the bullpen is an absolute wreck. SOMEONE needs to step up. That will kill us every single day--just like last year. But I am looking forward to seeing Sheets and Cappy. If they stay healthy, man.....

Offense will be streaky. It'll hurt not having a steady bat that can carry them like el caballo was. I like Weeks, Fielder and Hall though. That should be fun to watch most days.

I'm pretty sure Braun has been sent down already. I'd be more than comfortable with Counsell at third as a one-year band-aid.

FWIW, Baseball America has picked the Crew to win the NL Central this year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/features/263520.html

Dunno if it will happen, but it's nice to get some recognition for a change:)

MMMM...some relief help.

Tucson, Ariz.- The Milwaukee Brewers finally addressed their glut of outfielders today by trading Brady Clark and cash to the Los Angeles Dodgers for right-hander Elmer Dessens.

This is a good trade. Brady woulda been the odd man out and we desperately needed an RP. He had a good spring too.

Sweet. The Brewers got themselves another Brewer-Killer. Dessens has had some unhittable stuff against the Crew. He always used to be a starter, though, I wonder when he went to the bullpen? Oh, well, he'll prolly be used for long relief and as a spot/emergency starter. Good. This'll help:mug:

Sorry to see that the Phillies didn't make this thread until 30 posts snuck by. It's still not too late to pull for 'em. Should be a fun year coming up.

Ben Sheets with the two-hit shutout!

Helluva team I picked! I've got to buy the radio access, be great to have the game on in the background at work.

Nats lose....Yankees win.... probably the start of a trend.

the_bird said:

Helluva team I picked! I've got to buy the radio access, be great to have the game on in the background at work.

Ya, too bad he's on the team I'm playing in Fantasy. 34 freakin points

the_bird said:

And you'd get to listen to Bob Eucker too then. Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssst a bit outside. :cross:

the_bird said:

Yeah, and you'd get to hear the signature home run call, too! (see my av for a hint). Oh, BTW the Crew wins, and the Cubs lose! Good day, baseball-wise!

Join the Cardinal Nation Bird.

Criteria:

1. Mid-to-small market; no goddamn NY Mets, I like rooting for the (at least qausi-)underdog.
Nobody was as much and underdog as the Cards last year. Oh yeah, the "Mets are Pond Scum" banners were all over the stadium on openning day.

2. At least an outside chance to be decent - playoffs within reach, even if not champtionship caliber. Not going to expend energy rooting for a team that wins 60 games.

Given...

3. Good fan bases in established markets, with some history, is preferred.
Best Baseball fans in the country...and that's what the opposing teams say. Most World Series championships in the NL.

4. Likeable players, preferably some good, young, improving players and a decent farm squad; some hope for the future.
Did you see how little our MVP of the World Series was? How can you not like that cute little guy?

I can't root for the team that JUST won the World Series; how uncool is that? Otherwise, I'd think about it.

Really, though, it comes down to Uecker.

What a great opening day! 7-1 win, a 2 hitter, and in my section the a$$hole factor was low.
I figure 84 more wins and the Brew Crew gets the division :D

Wolf said:
What a great opening day! 7-1 win, a 2 hitter, and in my section the a$$hole factor was low.

You were there? Lucky Bastid! some of us poor schleps were at work, listening on the radio, hoping it went long enough to catch some on TV when I got home. (It didn't; Sheets mowed 'em down pretty quick:ban: )

Wolf said:

Sounds like a good day. My Sox got shelled by the Indians, so that sucked. I'm going on Wednesday and am hoping for better results.

Damn, I'm feeling pretty friggin' smart in my team choice right now! Two game in, two games won. Bought myself Gameday Audio for $15, so I can listen to the games while the wifey plays her video games.

Oh, and I have decided that Tony Gwynn Jr. will henceforth be referred to as "The New And Improved Tony Gwynn."

Latest posts

Back