I need a great fool proof 1st kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I got my brewing kit with two glass carboys ordered from Midwest.
Now I am just having a hard time deciding on what my 1st brew is going to be. I want something fairly easy that will be hit its peak of goodness in a month and something that almost everyone would enjoy.
Im thinking some type of wheat, Red ale or Amber Ale.
Also thinking maybe a Fat Tire clone.
Im curious to hear what everyones 1st was and how it turned out.
Any recomendations would be great. Thanks!

I thought Midwest included an ingredient kit when you buy an equipment kit? Maybe I'm thinking of a different place. Assuming you're talking about an extract kit, and you've never brewed before in your life, I'd go with something that doesn't require steeping any grains or complex hop additions. The fewer steps in the process, the less likely you'll screw up. Although I would still use real hops (whole or pellets) instead of hopped extract because the flavor impact is worth a bit of extra work. Once you've got the basic process down, you can add more complexity on later batches.

So far as specifically what kind of beer, I would just pick whatever you want to drink.

A hefe-weizen will be "brewday to glass" in four weeks and is a great summer beer. Four-five lbs. wheat DME, one or maybe two hop additions, just a two week primary, and you're good to bottle. The only hang-up with this style is that you should use a liquid yeast because the flavor is completely yeast-derived. But, IMHO, if you use four lbs. of dry extract a vial of White Labs WLP300 will work fine without making a starter. You should be able to find a homebrew store around Topeka that has a fresh vial so that viability(a problem through the mail) won't be an issue.

Edit: Make sure you can hold a steady 68 degrees during primary fermentation.

As a newbie myself, (3 batches under my belt)for my first batch I brewed the Midwest Irish Stout extract kit. On the advice of an experienced friend I picked a darker brew - darks will be a little more forgiving than pale ales for the new brewer.

It did involve steeping grains, but the directions are clear and the process is easy. 10 days in primary, 10 days in secondary. Couldn't wait any longer and tasted the first bottle at about 7 days after bottling and it was very tasty. And is has only gotten better since then.

Hex Nut brown from Midwest is a tasty brown ale. It was my first. It was easy and came out well. I liked it so much, I've brewed it twice now.

-Aaron

Im now thinking maybe the Sam Adams Lager clone from Austinhomebrew, using the dry yeast. Has anyone ever used this, how did it turn out?

The MW Cherry Wheat was super simple and mighty tasty. I used Wyeast 3068 and fermented around 70*. A little cooler probably wouldn't hurt.

If you want to drink it in one month you need to do a wheat beer they are best drunk early a lager needs time to mature and to do it right a fermentation chamber or a fridge . if you want to use dry yeast there are several like fermentis WB-06 or Danstar Munich for wheat beers.

AHS has some kits so does Brewmasters both sponsors on this site

My first brew was a nut brown ale and it turned out great! Brown beers have a strong flavor and are "forgiving." It required steeping grains, but if you can make tea you can steep grains. It's not hard at all and nothing to be afraid of.

I went with an English Brown for the first one and it was very forgiving and also very delicious. I only did a primary for 7 days and bottled for 14. I'd say keep the first batch easy and eliminate the secondary fermentation step. It does provide taste and clarity, but honestly anything you make will taste fantastic as long as you pay attention to sanitation.

I still cant decide. Now I am thinking a Fat Tire clone from Midwest, or maybe an Oatmeal Stout. This "hobby" is very addicting and I havent even started brewing yet!!!!

My first was a Brewer's Best Classic English Pale Ale. It was simple and quick - 14 days in primary, and after 4 days in the bottle (i was awfully impatient) it was already carbed and tasted pretty dang good.

I was disappointed with the Fat Tire clone my LHBS sold me, so I don't know if it was because it was my first brew, or if it was just a crappy clone, I think it was because it was my first brew, but it definitely took longer to carb.

My vote would be for a Belgian Wit, about 14 days in the primary, 14 days in the bottle it will be good. I have had good success with the witbier I brewed very similar to a NB Mothership Wit. Plus it is a great refreshing summer brew that most will enjoy, you don't have to be concerned with cosmetics such as chill haze, I think it is a very easy-to-brew beer that finishes quick and tastes great young. I would definitely suggest WLP400 yeast for a Wit.

The most important part of picking your first beer is to pick a style that you really like to drink. If you've never met an amber ale you didn't like, make that. If you've never had a bad hefe, go with it. That way, even if it's not perfect, you'll still think it's a pretty good brew.

Also, why just pick 1? Go with one kit, then as soon as you bottle, get your second brew boiling. That way if the first one isn't great and needs to condition for a few months, your second attempt is only a week or two away. Trust me NOBODY screws up two extract kits in a row.

Welcome to the obsession and happy brewing.

Someone mentioned not to do anything with steeping or lots of hops additions. My first beer I steeped grains, and I think we had three or four hop additions. Steeping isn't hard in my opinion, and hop additions aren't really a big deal either if your right down when you're supposed to do everything and stick to that schedule.

The most important part of picking your first beer is to pick a style that you really like to drink. If you've never met an amber ale you didn't like, make that. If you've never had a bad hefe, go with it. That way, even if it's not perfect, you'll still think it's a pretty good brew.

Also, why just pick 1? Go with one kit, then as soon as you bottle, get your second brew boiling. That way if the first one isn't great and needs to condition for a few months, your second attempt is only a week or two away. Trust me NOBODY screws up two extract kits in a row.

Welcome to the obsession and happy brewing.

This is what I plan doing. Im already addicted and I havent even started!

It's all about set up. So just go for it and brew what style you want to drink!

Don't worry about, grains, hops, etc etc.

Read the recipe, then re-read the recipe, then set all your equipment out and think it through just as if you were doing the recipe. When you have tried a series of variations on your equipment layout and where you want to brew it. Figure out one PLAN and then write down the steps in simple plan form. Check off when each step is done.
Timer works great too to keep you on schedule and know where you are with the process.

I did a Specialty grain 30 min hold at 150 (minor mistake, but had a back up plan to fix the temp increase, without the pre-plan and prep, I'd have mussed it up) 3 hop additions, Irish Moss add, Snow chilling (no chiller yet) Primary, Rack to 2ndary and carb with CO2 in keg. Built my kegerator while it was in 2ndary.

So I say make a plan, practice it in you head and Just GO FOR IT!!! Then as others have said, brew another ASAP! You will thank yourself, when your first is drained and you have a Second ready to go!!

Agreed, pick a style you like, but make a decision and go for it...and don't look back. Good or bad, there will be many brews to follow and it's all just part of the brewing journey. Journey to the top baby!!! YES!!!! :fro:

Okay, I'm going to stop drinking my homebrew now and get some sleep!

steeping grains! Use them!

Its just plain tastes fresher/deeper and ridiculously easy even on your first batch.

I ended up going with the HexNut Brown Ale from Midwest. I am going to start brewing on Fathers Day!

Back