I might shed a tear...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauntraxler

Reaction score
Ugh. Here's the scoop. In the beginning of May I brewed up an IIPA. I used ~20oz of hops between the kettle and the fermenter for a 5ga batch. Seeing as how my only secondary was tied up with another beer, I just decided to dry-hop in the primary post-fermentation. In retrospect, this was a terrible idea.

The reason being the fact that I have over TWO GALLONS OF TRUB in the primary. I pitched 2 packs of S-05, have the hop sediment from the kettle (I don't strain) and the hop sediment from the dry-hops. :(

The real issue is this: I calculated my priming sugar based on 4.5ga of brew (.5 ga loss to trub). Seeing as how I am not even bottling 3 gallons, the volumes of Co2 are going to be astronomical and standard bottles will not be able to hold the pressure.

What are my options? Bottle anyway and pray to the beer gods?

I'm thinking I'll just put the lid on my bottling bucket, attach an airlock and let it referment for a few days (maybe weeks because the yeasties are exhausted from the 10%+ brew)...

What do you guys think of this?

You already put the priming sugar in, but have not yet bottled it?

Yeah, I'd let the priming sugar ferment out by letting it sit for a few more weeks, then add priming sugar again based on the actual liquid volume before you bottle.

This could be just what you've been waiting for....the perfect reason to buy a corny keg.

Bah.. I would love to start kegging.. I can definitely afford the system itself... But getting the kegerator is the problem... I know a lot of people retrofit normal fridges for this, but I don't have the time. And $600 for a commercial one is just too much.

I guess I'll just referment for a bit. lol.

I don't get it...you would have lost that much to trub anyway....that's an a$$ load of hops yo! Next time, anticipate more hop loss mannn!

Bah.. I would love to start kegging.. I can definitely afford the system itself... But getting the kegerator is the problem... I know a lot of people retrofit normal fridges for this, but I don't have the time. And $600 for a commercial one is just too much.

I guess I'll just referment for a bit. lol.

its easy as ****. it takes about ten minutes. drill a hole in the side of the fridge and put the tap through there. thats it. unless you want to put your co2 tank outside of the fridge (thats what i do). then its just one more hole to drill. if you can afford it its definatly worth it.

actually if you use the picknick tap you don't have to modify the fridge at all, other than taking out the appropriate drawers so the keg fits.

its easy as ****. it takes about ten minutes. drill a hole in the side of the fridge and put the tap through there. thats it. unless you want to put your co2 tank outside of the fridge (thats what i do). then its just one more hole to drill. if you can afford it its definatly worth it.

actually if you use the picknick tap you don't have to modify the fridge at all, other than taking out the appropriate drawers so the keg fits.

Damn. I may have to squeeze this project in soon... I've got a baby on the way and in a month or two, I'm sure it will be "money saving time".

I picked up a fridge for $80 on CL. It fits 4 cornies and a 5gal co2 tank. Right now I am using picnic taps. Open the door, pour beer, easy peasy. Eventually I will spring for perlick faucets, but I think I want a chest freezer for that to build a real keezer/kegerator.

BTW, 20oz of hops in a 5gal batch is HUGE!!! :drunk:

I picked up a fridge for $80 on CL. It fits 4 cornies and a 5gal co2 tank. Right now I am using picnic taps. Open the door, pour beer, easy peasy. Eventually I will spring for perlick faucets, but I think I want a chest freezer for that to build a real keezer/kegerator.

BTW, 20oz of hops in a 5gal batch is HUGE!!! :drunk:

Hmmmmmm... I think I'm going to pick up kegging stuff this week. You guys have pushed me over the line... :ban:

And yes... 20oz in 5 ga is LUDA. But this beer is going to be HUGE. Beersmith said something like 168 IBU and it smells amazing!

Back