I might have bitten off more than I can chew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranman481

Reaction score
So...I had this idea for a Pre-Columbian based brew using corn. Little did I know that I needed to use Amylase enzyme and a test tube etc. to get the job done. I have only ever made extract and partial grain brews up to this point and I don't know if this grand idea will work or not. Has anyone out there ever used corn for their brew? Am I in for a problem??

I just brewed up an Aztec styled beer for a friends wedding. We used flaked corn, cocoa, cocoa nibs, chipotle peppers and a habenero.

What type of corn did you use?

Make sure you don't use yeast. Chew and spit...chew and spit.

That's South American Checha. Native American Tiswin (pronounced tizween) was made out of boiled wort from sprouted & dried sweet corn fermented with wild yeast. There seem to be many variations from North America,Mexico,& all around the Carribean to Northern South America. Different cultures added different things to the brew. But in early reports it was said to resemble an English ale.

I think you missed the humor unionrdr. Quite good following the title and content.

Yeah,I got that part. I remember watching Sam at DFH getting his crew to do just that in making a big batch of Checha. Turned out after testing that the women had more amalaze enzyme in there saliva than the men. Who knew? I think it'd be hard to get past knowing how it was fermented when handed a glass though...:drunk:

I used 10 lbs of flaked corn with 3 gal. water at 140 degrees for well over an hour. I had added 1 teaspoon of the enzyme at the beginning and stirred it in. When I would test the starch content I always got the same result. My fear is that the starch wasn't converted and I'll end up with a batch of glue instead of beer.

I know the natives would dig a pit,line it with grass,& layer the corn kernals in layers of moistened grass & cover it to allow it to sprout before brewing. Maybe the flaked corn wasn't malted first! I never really checked on that with flaked grains...

I know the natives would dig a pit,line it with grass,& layer the corn kernals in layers of moistened grass & cover it to allow it to sprout before brewing. Maybe the flaked corn wasn't malted first! I never really checked on that with flaked grains...

Flaked corn is typically gelatinized but not malted. It needs surplus enzymes from another grain or enzymes added directly in order to convert. Allowing the corn to sprout in pits would essentially be malting albeit without the drying process to stabilize it for storage.

I used 10 lbs of flaked corn with 3 gal. water at 140 degrees for well over an hour. I had added 1 teaspoon of the enzyme at the beginning and stirred it in. When I would test the starch content I always got the same result. My fear is that the starch wasn't converted and I'll end up with a batch of glue instead of beer.

Not sure about the specifics for the enzymes your using, they vary greatly, but with the stuff I use, the instructions would have called for 1.5 to 2 tsp and given that this was the only source for enzymes I would have doubled that at least so probably 4 or 5 tsps and extended the mash time to 90mins. I've used this in the past with 100% raw wheat with success should be similar in idea. Good luck.

I just brewed up an Aztec styled beer for a friends wedding. We used flaked corn, cocoa, cocoa nibs, chipotle peppers and a habenero.

What type of corn did you use?

Any chance of getting that recipe?

Back