I messed my perfectly good beer in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
I hosted a party last weekend and had the kegged beer in the mini fridge so that guests could tap the beer whenever they wanted. Guests were telling me that the beer was really good and how heavy it tasted and how high the alcohol content was. I was confused at first because I brewed Summer Ale with ABV of about 5%. As the night went on I noticed the beer was getting darker in color in peoples cups. As I thought something weird was going on, I checked out the keg and learned that the beer was getting frozen!! So what was coming out was the concentrated beer with the alcohol still liquid and the water starting to freeze up. I took the keg out of the fridge and let the ice melt over night. I tasted the beer the next day and it is now watered down. Its still drinkable as a very light summer ale... But is there anything I could do at this point? I guess I'd have to calk this up as an experience.

Drink the rest and chalk it up to lessoned learned with your mini fridge. You could mix it but the PIA part is involved.

Yeah I'll just drink it and not try to fix it. I should always keep a thermometer in the fridge just to make sure the temperature doesn't get out of hand.

Back