I May be a Professional Idiot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tapout

Reaction score
Well, I started my second ever batch today. And I've come to the realization that I'm an idiot...maybe even professional level LOL!

Everything started off just fine. I started my yeast starter yesterday. I sanitized my equipment today just before I started my pot boiling. Put in the grains (Caribou Slobber extract put together by my LHBS) and got the water up to 170 deg. Here's where my shot at professional idiot begins.

As soon as I pulled the grains out, I put in the extract and the first hops...that's right, before I got the water to a boil!

It took me about 5 minutes to realize what I'd done. Also, at this point, I realized the LHBS hadn't given me the DME I needed. Oh, they'd included DME, but I used 3/4 of it for the starter yesterday! I called them and the guy said "Sorry, I didn't realize you we're doing a starter", even though I specifically asked for DME for a starter. My fault for not checking everything closer :(

He tells me I should be alright. The ABV might be 1/2 of a percent lower, because the extract bottles were 3.3 lbs each (2) instead of 3 lbs each. We didn't discuss the fact that I put the extract and hops in too early...

The point of this story is to always make sure you lay out everything and double check before you start!

Oh well, at least I have some beer handy to take the edge off.

Who knows. Maybe this batch will come out extra good! I'm just going to keep telling myself that LOL.

Cheers!

You won't have any problems. Just pitch the entire starter into the fermenter, and you're back where you wanted to be. Hops will be fine pre-boil. If anything, your IBU count will be slightly off from the recipe, but not enough to worry about.

My thoughts exactly. May be my best batch ever! I'll let you know after I've done a few dozen LOL.

No problem at all. Many add the hops before the boil ( FWH) which gives a smoother bitterness.

Adding the extract early is not an issue either.

You made beer.

Relax, OP. Beer will be fine. There are MANY worse mistakes that are made all the time, and good beer is typically still made.

Well, my starter certainly liked my wort! Woke up and checked the primary first thing. Opened my Cool Brew bag and what to my wondering eyes should appear...a blow off mess LOL. Fortunately, the airlock and the top of the bag saved me from a worse mess to clean up. Got it all back in shape and it's happily bubbling away :)

I don't see any major problems. I'm just getting going good, but when brewing from kits I use some of the DME for the starter and pitch the entire starter. (Might change that in the future by getting an extra bag of DME for starters). You added the extract before the boil, which I would consider the correct thing to do so you don't scorch it. I have been adding about half of my extracts after steeping and the rest of it about 15 minutes before flameout to help keep the color from being darker than it should be. I usually toss my first addition of hops in when boil begins and start my timer. I don't think you did anything that will ruin your beer.

Back