I love the bay area...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
but this **** needs to stop:

Night of gunfire in East Oakland

Police opted not to respond to the scene immediately, fearing a reprise of an incident last week in which someone fired shots at officers in the same area.

That incident started when police stopped a car in front of a home. As officers tried to talk to the car's occupants, the driver took off and police came under fire from a nearby residence. A search failed to locate a suspect.

Oakland is Northern California's Compton.

+1 for moving. There are lots of nice towns up there that are safer.

i live near piedmont, a pretty nice neighborhood. i get one crackhead round the block once in a while...hooker named Mike. A kid got killed at piano practice by a random bullet a few months back several blocks away. other than that...nothing ghetto about it, everything else is on the other side of the freeway, nothing to worry about. doesn't mean we shouldn't do something. i just don't know what. cops are even afraid to go there now. what is going to come out of that place?

maybe this should be moved to the debate forums...what should we do about the ghettos and what went wrong in the first place?

It sounds like the "Guardian Angels" aren't making a difference. Oaktown needs about 2x more cops, and they need to start actually actively patrolling, instead of just responding to gunfire.

i live near piedmont, a pretty nice neighborhood. i get one crackhead round the block once in a while...hooker named Mike. A kid got killed at piano practice by a random bullet a few months back several blocks away.

Holy $hit! Crackheads, hookers, and random bullets in piedmont? What happened to that place? Did all of the rich people move away?

no...it was one random idiot drug POS pulling up to a gas station to try and hold them up (for what? $40?)

he shot wildly and the bullet went through the building across the street and hit the little kid. some cops down the street heard the gunfire and quickly drove up to arrest him.

now that i think about it, i'm not sure the kid died...last i heard he was in critical condition and i didn't follow the story, it's too depressing. this was kiddie corner to a bar that i used to walk to on a weekly basis. :mad:

and the crackhead and the hooker are the same person :D

It sounds like the "Guardian Angels" aren't making a difference. Oaktown needs about 2x more cops, and they need to start actually actively patrolling, instead of just responding to gunfire.

but how do you do that in neighborhoods where you will randomly be shot at? why should they even go into those hoods and respond to any call at all? should we even care?

it really is bad...every time someone comes to visit, i tell them "you're free to go anywhere in this general area, but DO NOT cross the freeway!"

the ghettos are so incredibly dangerous that no businesses can move in and all that is left is welfare, tough low-paying dangerous jobs, and drug-dealing. how do we stop that? what can we do? more cops isn't going to help...there needs to be a huge social change.

These neighborhoods were created and forgotten about. There's got to be a way to undo it. some crazy work programs or SOMETHING. the smart ones that can live long enough get out.

but how do you do that in neighborhoods where you will randomly be shot at? why should they even go into those hoods and respond to any call at all? should we even care?

it really is bad...every time someone comes to visit, i tell them "you're free to go anywhere in this general area, but DO NOT cross the freeway!"

the ghettos are so incredibly dangerous that no businesses can move in and all that is left is welfare, tough low-paying dangerous jobs, and drug-dealing. how do we stop that? what can we do? more cops isn't going to help...there needs to be a huge social change.

These neighborhoods were created and forgotten about. There's got to be a way to undo it. some crazy work programs or SOMETHING. the smart ones that can live long enough get out.

Because they are living in our country. If the police cannot handle it lets declare it a state of emergency and send in the National Guard.

ya piedmont's a nice place, got a few friends from there. I like to go through oakland as little as possible. i drove through some (extra) shady parts one time when i got lost.... i was actually a little scared to get out of my car. And i didnt grow up in the best of neighborhoods

Because they are living in our country. If the police cannot handle it lets declare it a state of emergency and send in the National Guard.

umm...let's get this straight...people were thrown into the ghetto with no resources, no money and no jobs. they were put there to be IGNORED. Read on environmental racism.

what it has created is a dangerous criminal society. what are we supposed to do? why don't we just nuke it? blow up the whole thing if there's no way we can fix it?

the national guard will help with what? take the city back for a few weeks, creating an even greater uprising?

there are good people that are stuck in these areas. it is EXTREMELY difficult to get out and ever more difficult to live a straight life inside.

perhaps we do need the national guard. maybe they should have them take out all the gangs and then stand guard for six months while businesses and work programs are moved in. that would be ideal, but our we really going to spread our resources even thinner to take care of that? no, unfortunately.

i almost forgot about another incident. a couple of bars near my apartment have been held up at closing time by the oakland acorn gang. i wish i could carry a firearm.

umm...let's get this straight...people were thrown into the ghetto with no resources, no money and no jobs. they were put there to be IGNORED. Read on environmental racism.

what it has created is a dangerous criminal society. what are we supposed to do? why don't we just nuke it? blow up the whole thing if there's no way we can fix it?

the national guard will help with what? take the city back for a few weeks, creating an even greater uprising?

there are good people that are stuck in these areas. it is EXTREMELY difficult to get out and ever more difficult to live a straight life inside.

perhaps we do need the national guard. maybe they should have them take out all the gangs and then stand guard for six months while businesses and work programs are moved in. that would be ideal, but our we really going to spread our resources even thinner to take care of that? no, unfortunately.

i almost forgot about another incident. a couple of bars near my apartment have been held up at closing time by the oakland acorn gang. i wish i could carry a firearm.

There are plenty of social ways to help the people, but like you said there are innocent people within those ghettos that need help. If the police cannot patrol in the areas the answer is not to just not patrol and create a lawless ghetto. We should do what we have to to restore order.

True, there needs to be more than just more police, but that is a start. The police and the general community need to work together more and to have a presence. It'll definitely be tough and long term, but it could work.
It did in NYC. There were places in the Bronx and Brooklyn that you just would not think about driving through, much less moving to. Now, real estate in some of those areas is booming.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/23/AR2006112301015.html

they really improved emeryville and some berkeley areas with more police patrols and pushing prostitution and drug dealing further south.

but east oakland, north richmond, etc. are so far gone...it's scary. and we need a permanent solution. a police force would have to be accompanied by an opportunity for sources of income, education, etc.

Back