I love my job...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
I work with behaviorally challenged dogs, some pretty extreme (human bites, dog maulings, etc) some less so, but still intense...

Been working with a particular German Shepherd that was rescued from a neglect situation. She WAS:rockin: highly dog aggressive to any and every dog in sight, to the point of having bloody and raw paws and claws from lunging and trying to drag the owner down the street to any dog in sight. Tonight (after a couple months of therapy) we went for a nice walk together with the Shepherd and my Belgian Malinois...I guessed the owners of the Shepherd were happy when I got a $900 tip for my services.

I was like " Holy Jesus Batman, I am relevant".
I loving making a difference :D and helping a dog have a better quality of life.

If you have a pup that has issues, give them a chance and look for a positive reinforcement trainer in your area to help. Especially if you are looking to get rid of a dog for behavior issues. Most dogs euthanised in shelters are put down because of behavior... Most of those dogs can be helped before they are given up.

Wow! I rely on tips for a living but that sure as hell beats my high score by a long shot!

Must be nice to see yourself making a difference AND making money!

Good on you!
Cheers

Wow! I rely on tips for a living but that sure as hell beats my high score by a long shot!

Must be nice to see yourself making a difference AND making money!

Good on you!
Cheers

This was quite unusual for me. Usually I get a 5 or a 10 extra in the check if I am lucky.

But I appreciate the gesture of appreciation in this case for sure!

Given that the poor animal was shot with a .22, crated for 2 years in an Arizona back yard, got to wear a shock collar while in the crate, along with god knows what else for abuse and neglect ...

She has made some serious progress, for that , we are happy:D

Bless ya man!

The tip money was well deserved. Not everybody helps out a dog like that, some would encourage his .. ok phoenetic spelling Uth-N-Asia

Quite sure it wasn't exactly easy to teach an old dog new tricks.

Your efforts. Priceless! Very well done!

Thank you

Given that the poor animal was shot with a .22, crated for 2 years in an Arizona back yard, got to wear a shock collar while in the crate, along with god knows what else for abuse and neglect ...

She has made some serious progress, for that , we are happy:D

When i read the way people treat animals sometimes, it makes me mad. I wish i could have a dog but my living situation won't allow it at the moment.

Good job on the re education of this dog.

That's awesome, man. I love dogs and love to hear good stories about them overcoming adversity. With that being typed, I also agree with the importance of loving your job. I may not be considered rich by most, but I love my gig as well. It's important to be happy in life. Money won't make you happy if you don't enjoy what you spend 1/3 to 1/2 of your conscious hours (time awake) doing. It's important to enjoy going to work, otherwise life pretty much sucks. I'm glad you're surviving doing something you love. Keep up the good work!

So, how do you fix a scared dog?
A 4-6 month old puppy "appeared" in our yard a year ago (I have 2 other dogs) and my wife decided that she wanted to keep it rather than dump it at the pound.
It plays nice with the other dogs but neither of us can even touch her unless we corner her. She warms up to us a little bit if we trap her in the house but will return to normal as soon as it is time for her to go back outside.
We joke that she is my big black lab's pet.

Back