I learned to make screens!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
Wish I had pics to prove it, and to make this post more exciting, but I'm selling my house and one of things I had to do per the home inspection was to replace a missing screen. I was forced to make my own since, to my surprise, you cannot go and just buy a screen off the shelf... it has to be ordered and I didn't have time before I have to be out of the house.

I think all the parts to make a 35x35 inch screen was about 15 bucks. I made the screen that fit perfectly into the window after watching a 10 minute youtube video on it. I still have plenty of screen and the tools to use again. All i'd have to buy are the frame pieces which are only a few bucks.

After I put the screen in I wasn't sure what I could use all the extra parts for. Then it hit me... I'm going to build screens for hop drying! It's easy and pretty cheap to do. Look into it if you need an inexpensive way to dry your hops this Fall. Does anyone else do this?

Yea, cool story, bro.

Hey there that's good to know!! Not sure if there's an Ace close to me or not though. It's all big box 'round here like Home Depot and Lowe's...

I have 2 or 3 dehydrators that I mostly use for vegetables.

If they are in use I just put my hops in a paint strainer bag and hang it. Every once in a while (several times per day) I'll give it a kneading to circulate the hops inside.

I transfer the hops to the dehydrator to finish them.

I made square frames out of 2x2 lumber, then stapled screen mesh on one side. Stack them on top of each other then set them on top of a box fan laid flat on its back (propped up about 6" off the ground for airflow), and let the fan blow up through the mesh frames.
Similar to Alton Brown's beef jerky BlowHard 5000, just with less beef jerky.

Back