I just scored two 15 gallon ball lock corny kegs for $75!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silentdrinker

Reaction score
Some guy on Craig's list posted two 15 gal corny kegs with a set of stainless steel couplers as well as another liquid stainless coupler for $75!!! My parents lived by the guy, so I jumped on it! Such a score!

My fermentation chamber only holds one of my current 15.5 gallon fermenters. With these, it will hold both at once. Now I can ferment two 10-12 gal batches at once in my chamber.

image.jpg

This like when my friends post pictures of their food on facebook.
Yes, I'm jealous, but I'm gonna be a grown up about this obvious flaunting of good fortune and say 'Congrats!'
Now earn it! Keep 'em filled :)

This like when my friends post pictures of their food on facebook.
Yes, I'm jealous, but I'm gonna be a grown up about this obvious flaunting of good fortune and say 'Congrats!'
Now earn it! Keep 'em filled :)

Hey man... Your stc1000+ firmware is operating the ferment chamber. This is an old photo, but I have since hard wired the stc1000+ into it. It's mounted on the top plastic. I scored that fridge for $50 on CL last year -- yes, another shameless attempt of bragging of my good fortune. :mug:

image.jpg

Very cool (pun intended)!
Now I can relax. Since you have the good sense to use my firmware (see, I can toot my own horn too, though I'm swedish so I don't really mean it), then I'm sure you will put them to good use :)

droooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllll

Good thing my fermenters are sealed or you might cause an infection with all that drool :fro:

Very cool (pun intended)!
Now I can relax. Since you have the good sense to use my firmware (see, I can toot my own horn too, though I'm swedish so I don't really mean it), then I'm sure you will put them to good use :)

You got reason to toot your own... theres always a pint or twelve here for you if you're ever in the Portland Oregon area.

Very nice score. Those things are sweet! I have to be happy with the fact that my dad keeps coming home from garage sales with 5 gallon ball-lock kegs and half-full CO2 tanks for me. :)

Very nice score. Those things are sweet! I have to be happy with the fact that my dad keeps coming home from garage sales with 5 gallon ball-lock kegs and half-full CO2 tanks for me. :)

I've yet to find any at a garage sale, but I was given one by my fiancé's brother in law. He saw it in the back of his friend's dad's truck. He saved it from getting scrapped. I also once found a 20lb co2 tank literally sitting next to a sidewalk around no buildings or houses... No idea why it was there... So weird, but I was glad to give it a home.

I see you're in bend. In in PDX. We just went to bend this summer (well, sun River, but played in bend). It was my first time out there. I'm looking to go back soon and camp somewhere awesome. We did the lava caves between bend and sun River. That thing was amazing. We didn't get to go the whole way since we had our 3 year old with us. He made it half way and back. Bend is a cool place.

That's awesome! And here I was bummed last week when I missed out on one for $100!

Ah, that sucks you didn't get it ... $100 would've been a great deal too.

I see you're in bend. In in PDX. We just went to bend this summer (well, sun River, but played in bend). It was my first time out there. I'm looking to go back soon and camp somewhere awesome. We did the lava caves between bend and sun River. That thing was amazing. We didn't get to go the whole way since we had our 3 year old with us. He made it half way and back. Bend is a cool place.

Bend is fantastic, hopefully it stays that way for a while longer. Lava caves are fun, there are a couple of lesser known ones that are less accessible, especially for little ones. Lots of great camping around here as well. And two breweries for every coffee shop. ;)

Bend is fantastic, hopefully it stays that way for a while longer. Lava caves are fun, there are a couple of lesser known ones that are less accessible, especially for little ones. Lots of great camping around here as well. And two breweries for every coffee shop. ;)

Ya, I always hear from just about everyone how awesome Bend is. I see what they mean now. I keep hearing about people talking about moving over there, so I'm sure it will get crazy.

When we were there, we didn't hit up nearly as many of the breweries I wanted to. Plus we ended up at Crux twice due to friends. They had some decent stuff, but man their aged beers aren't cheap. A snifter for $9 or $3 for a taste or something like that... Their Mosaic IPA is good, I also liked their Scotch Ale. I found the FreakCake pretty interesting. If I recall it's a flounders red (or brown) aged in oak with dates, raisins, cranberry...etc. It was not a summer beer, but definitely a fall/winter style beer.

But we did get a few in. We also stopped at that hamburger place next to Drake Park - that park is nice too. Those houses on the other side of that water, wow.

I'm hoping we can find some time before winter to go back and camp. If not, hopefully sometime next spring.

Hey man... Your stc1000+ firmware is operating the ferment chamber. This is an old photo, but I have since hard wired the stc1000+ into it. It's mounted on the top plastic. I scored that fridge for $50 on CL last year -- yes, another shameless attempt of bragging of my good fortune. :mug:

I am curious how you lift a 15 gallon fermenter with 10-12 gallons of wort into that chamber? Or do you put it in there empty and use a pump?

Excellent deal on the two fermenters. Do you think you will try fermenting under pressure with them?

I am curious how you lift a 15 gallon fermenter with 10-12 gallons of wort into that chamber? Or do you put it in there empty and use a pump?

Excellent deal on the two fermenters. Do you think you will try fermenting under pressure with them?

I already ferment in modified sanke kegs that act as ball lock kegs. So I fill and move it into the fermenting chamber. And ya, I exclusively ferment under pressure. The reason I'm stoked about these is they're thin in dia. So two of these will fit in my chamber at once while my other 15.5 sanke fermenter only fits one.

Man how do you always find those so cheap. I just bought some sanke kegs to upgrade to 10-12 gallon batches.

Hey man, idk... I just look on Craig's list and jump at the opportunities. I logged on and saw those posted 5hrs prior to me seeing them. They were posted in Seattle area where my parents live, so I jumped on it. I wasn't even 100% sure if he wanted $75/ea or for both. Plus I didn't realize it had the SS ball lock couplers too. One is missing a poppet and a dip tube, but I have poppets and can make a tube.

By the way, I'm still wanting to do the electrical stuff if you're still in. We're having another kid here in dec, so things have been happening very slow. I decided to build a shed out back for it vs the basement, but I'm working on a tool shed right now to clear stuff up to make the other shed...

My electric conversion has been taking me too long; I ended up buying a cooler mash tun to revert back to my old methods since a manual direct fire mash wasn't doing it for me.

At this point, I'll hopefully have it ready to go by next year.

Nice, I just bought my electric set up with the proceeds of our Hillsboro house. Wife is 8 months pregnant and have been pulling 50 to 60 hour work weeks lately, so I know the feeling of having to put brewing on hold. I am ready to help with your set up if we can find a time that will work. We may want to do it peice by peice to save on funds.

Nice, I just bought my electric set up with the proceeds of our Hillsboro house. Wife is 8 months pregnant and have been pulling 50 to 60 hour work weeks lately, so I know the feeling of having to put brewing on hold. I am ready to help with your set up if we can find a time that will work. We may want to do it peice by peice to save on funds.

Hey man, congrats! We're 25 weeks today. This one is our second, but a daughter this time. All our rooms are the same size, so we decided to move our bedroom to the spare and turn it into hers. I have a lot to do to get both rooms done.

Good to hear you're back to work and keeping busy too.

I'm building the shed on the side of the house that we don't use. It's going to be 30 ish feet from the main panel outside. I think it will make everything easier and a bit cheaper than my other plan(s). This is assuming the panel can go right to the shed. But ya, I will keep you posted. I am hoping I can do it during the winter, so I can try to get the outside of the house fixed up and painted by the summer.

Back