I just met Garret Oliver!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy360

Reaction score
I was surfing the web today and happened to check on the Brooklyn Brewery website. Lo and behold, Brooklyn Brewery was hosting a beer/food dinner tonight at a restaurant that is a mere 5 miles from my house! I immediately called for a reservation and took one of the last two spots available. The cost was $75. A bit steep, but now that I've returned it was well worth the price.

The menu:

Baby rack of lamb with Kalamata olives wrapped in puff pastry
Brooklyn Brown Ale

Fresh lobster meat and crab claws in roasted garlic and fresh herb cream sauce Served in a fillo dough cup
Brooklyn Local 1

Winter Salad topped with duck confit. Tossed in a toasted
mustard seed and ginger vinaigrette
Brooklyn Winter Ale

Filet Mignon stuffed with gorgonzola and wild mushrooms and wrapped in pancetta, with a THICK potato pancake, sauteed spinach with garlic, and onion rings
Brooklyn Extra Brune

Chocolate Covered Cheesecake and Strawberry Ice Cream made with some of the stout
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

The highlight of the dinner was the Extra Brune/Filet combination. The Belgian style ale had clove and banana notes with a hint of sweetness which paired PERFECTLY with the gorgonzola, mushrooms, and filet. The most disappointing was the dessert. Although the beer paired well with the cheesecake and ice cream, the dessert itself left a lot to be desired.

My conversation with Garret Oliver consisted of my asking his background, how he got into professional brewing, and what would he recommend for an aspiring professional brewer. (I'm debating whether or not to take the ABG course after I finish culinary school at the Culinary Institute of America.) Mr. Oliver was very well spoken and a pleasure to converse with.

All in all, a great evening.

Thanks Brooklyn Brewery!

Cool! Just yesterday I bought his book. It's very well written and has a load of interesting beer/food ideas that I'm going to try - but it's a terrible book to read when you're hungry :D

Damn, that's a great night out!! SWMBO and I were supposed to go to a beer tasting hosted by Stone Brewing, but alas, we are in a show and it rehearses that night, so we have to cancel:(

Danek said:
Cool! Just yesterday I bought his book. It's very well written and has a load of interesting beer/food ideas that I'm going to try - but it's a terrible book to read when you're hungry :D
I second that. And if you aren't hungry to start with you will be soon after starting to read. He enthusiasm for food and beer is only out done by his eloquence in expressing it.

Latest posts

Back