I have some american hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse93

Reaction score
I've got some american hops laying around which I have used for previously beers. It is enough to make a hoppy beer if I blend them all together, which makes approximately 1/6 centennial, 1/6 columbus and 4/6 cascade.

Now, this is pretty much ideal for a classic american pale ale. But the thing is that APA is the style which I have brewed most of, and I'd like to do something else. I already got a stout and an imperial red ale fermenting... I'm planning to do a porter and a brown ale with all fuggles in the near future, so in what beer style would this american hop blend fit well?

Edit: Wheat beer contains too much gluten for my belly to appreciate it :mug:

Hoppy saison with 3711? Use the columbus to bitter, flame out with 3/6 cascade then dry hop with remaining centennial and cascade

Hoppy saison with 3711? Use the columbus to bitter, flame out with 3/6 cascade then dry hop with remaining centennial and cascade

That might just be a cool idea, adding some spice that the pale ale actually is missing :mug:
cheers

It's not too far from an APA but maybe a dark cascadian ale. It is imo a twist on the style and love the two recipes I have made.

I have a 1.066 American amber going at the moment. Gravity sample today was real nice. Not worlds away from an APA but a more interesting malt profile and still hoppy.

Or take what you have learned from the APA and make an American IPA. Scale down the batch size depending how much hops you have.

I just finished drinking a 3 gallon 6% IPA with columbus and cascade, delicious, but it was definitely past it's peak by the last 2 bottles. I think if I had brewed 5 gallons I wouldn't be enjoying the last 2 as much.

IMO - not a fan of 3711
your better off with something like WLP670 or something from omega/gigayeast if you can get it.

alternatively, hoppy sours can be good :mug:

Well the conclusion is that I am going to use rye, around 20% flaked rye or rye malt, and 5% cararye. I will also try finding a good funky yeast strain. I guess it will be spicy as hell, but thats kind of cool too :) thanks all

Back