I HATE the TV shows my wife watches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose_MI

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
American Idol, Married at First Site, Supergirl, CSI ..... The list goes on and on. She's a wonderful mother and as wife's go she is very accepting of my brewing hobby but for the love of 1020p HD her idea of good tv just sucks.

We do enjoy Big Bang Theory and Game of Thrones together .... and she likes to watch football and basketball so I'm sure others have it worse....but this American Idol is just painful to sit and listen to

American Idol, Married at First Site, Supergirl, CSI ..... The list goes on and on. She's a wonderful mother and as wife's go she is very accepting of my brewing hobby but for the love of 1020p HD her idea of good tv just sucks.

We do enjoy Big Bang Theory and Game of Throwns together .... and she likes to watch football and basketball so I'm sure others have it worse....but this American Idol is just painful to sit and listen to

Just got forced to watch married at first sight. I can't believe it's a show.

Actually, this is healthy for a marriage. There should be things you enjoy together, and things you enjoy separately. As long as it can be done amicably.

My SWMBO has shows she loves (American idol, Biggest Loser, many remodeling shows) I just don't get / can't stand. C'mon, those American Idol contestants wouldn't get most people excited at the local karaoke.

She hates the shows I watch: Frontline, Family Guy, NFL Sunday, Monday Night Football, Nova, whatever WWII show is running on History, etc. When her show is on, I'm on HBT. When my show is on she's on ... Pinterest or whatever. It works.

We both love major league baseball, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc.

Detente.

I guess full disclosure is in order....I love to watch How the Universe Works on history and/or science channel...I can watch them over and over. I don't think it's as objectionable as Married at First Site but I admit I have my own viewing qwerks ...

We do enjoy Big Bang Theory and Game of Throwns together .... and she likes to watch football and basketball so I'm sure others have it worse....but this American Idol is just painful to sit and listen to

I would gladly watch ANY of the shows you listed for your wife over my wife's favorites. Meet the Kardashians, Kardashians in miami, meet the Kardashians again and whatever other BS crap they put together I literally want to blow my brains out. (And yes I used literally correct) I keep a pistol beside the tv so I usually stare at that pretty intense like.

Most of the time as soon as it comes on I don't say a word I just get up and go to the living room.......she knows

She hates the shows I watch: Frontline, Family Guy, NFL Sunday, Monday Night Football, Nova, whatever WWII show is running on History, etc. When her show is on, I'm on HBT. When my show is on she's on ... Pinterest or whatever. It works.

We both love major league baseball, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, etc.

Detente.

@JonM - Are you also saddened that "Dogfights" didn't last longer than 2 seasons?

You get no sympathy here. My wife likes "Real Housewives" and any show where enormous people get surgery: "My 600 lb Life" etc. And the various midgets.
But then, she's not crazy about B&W movies, The Thing, Silence of the Lambs, Butch Cassidy or Pulp Fiction.
I know, what's wrong with her? I should have suspected she wasn't normal when she told me she loved me. First sign. I would have caught it too, if she had had any clothes on at the time.

I sit through The Bachelor and Idol, she sits through Agents Of SHEILD, a Heroes, Blacklist...on and on. We enjoy several police dramas together, and Chicago Fire and Med.

She won't watch anything I'm likely to openly and loudly mock while I'm in the room. Do I don't have to watch soaps with her. It works.

My wife and I tend to like a lot of the same shows and watch many of em together (Game of Thrones, Bob's Burgers, 30 Rock, etc). But she likes some of the trash TV that I don't, and I enjoy my sports (albeit just hockey and football/soccer) that she hates with a passion.

She's watching old game shows. I'm watching Caps/Flyers.

If you can get a 50% ratio of what you like:what she/he likes, you are doing well, IMHO.

Wife is big on the remodeling shows, and will pick up a stray series every now and again but she generally watches those on her own time.

She does appreciate Archer and much to my surprise, The League. We just finished Battlestar Galactica (for the third time...we own the box set and I'm not even a little bit ashamed) and needed something light.

Probably the worst was Scandal. I'd pass by the TV when that was on and immediately question my decision to marry anyone that watches that...whatever it is. Show? I guess?

I don't care for everything my wife watches, but thank God she doesn't watch reality TV. I don't think I'd be able to hide my disdain if she did. :)

Luckily she enjoys most of the shows (Archer, Sunny, Walking Dead) that I enjoy. The one thing we have bass-ackwards is that she loves watching sports, whereas I am totally indifferent to them.

Wife is big on the remodeling shows, and will pick up a stray series every now and again but she generally watches those on her own time.

She does appreciate Archer and much to my surprise, The League. We just finished Battlestar Galactica (for the third time...we own the box set and I'm not even a little bit ashamed) and needed something light.

Probably the worst was Scandal. I'd pass by the TV when that was on and immediately question my decision to marry anyone that watches that...whatever it is. Show? I guess?

Scandal is awesome. Part soap opera, part spy drama. Really well done show. For real.

She's a wonderful mother and as wife's go she is very accepting of my brewing hobby but for the love of 1020p HD her idea of good tv just sucks.
Someone else posted a very sad tale about his wife cheating......Would you prefer your wife watch those shows with some one else? So stop complaining,
your wife is there with you.... grab your laptop and surf the internet while the shows you hate are on, then go to bed with her and tell her how much you appreciate her putting up with the things you do......be thankful, not resentful.

Someone else posted a very sad tale about his wife cheating......Would you prefer your wife watch those shows with some one else? So stop complaining,
your wife is there with you.... grab your laptop and surf the internet while the shows you hate are on, then go to bed with her and tell her how much you appreciate her putting up with the things you do......be thankful, not resentful.

Perspective.

You has it.

I've grown to ignore my wife's poor taste in tv. Real Housewives and the like. But to hell with all of you who's wives appreciate archer. Mine doesn't get it and it makes me sad. She also doesn't give me chit about watching How It's Made on repeat either. I can't hardly stand the crap tv as background noise though.

My wife loves anything Kardashian, drives me batsh_t crazy!!! But I just use that time to check what's going on at HBT..... Or I sneak away to my man cave.

I would gladly watch ANY of the shows you listed for your wife over my wife's favorites. Meet the Kardashians, Kardashians in miami, meet the Kardashians again and whatever other BS crap they put together I literally want to blow my brains out. (And yes I used literally correct) I keep a pistol beside the tv so I usually stare at that pretty intense like.

Most of the time as soon as it comes on I don't say a word I just get up and go to the living room.......she knows

Are those Kardashian shows the reality TV ones about overpaid prostitutes?

Only thing I really watch on my own is football, basketball, jimmy fallon and the news. She sleeps or locks herself in another room with netflix haha.

We watch a lot of shows and movies together and I don't really mind them. Grays anatomy, bar rescue, scandal, gilmore girls (no shame), chicago fire/med/whatever.

It's only tv.

My wife has the self-awareness to know and fully admit to me that many of the shows she watches are terrible. She has a high-pressure, cerebral job though, so I understand the desire to watch something that's the entertainment equivalent of junk food for her. I occasionally will poke fun at the silly dialogue or plot holes, but it's in good fun. We have plenty of shows we can agree on, and she doesn't give me too much crap about the dorky animation and video game LP's I watch. So we're even.:)

My wife has the self-awareness to know and fully admit to me that many of the shows she watches are terrible. She has a high-pressure, cerebral job though, so I understand the desire to watch something that's the entertainment equivalent of junk food for her. I occasionally will poke fun at the silly dialogue or plot holes, but it's in good fun. We have plenty of shows we can agree on, and she doesn't give me too much crap about the dorky animation and video game LP's I watch. So we're even.:)

Pretty much that ^ Especially the show 90 Day fiance. We both know it's the stupidest thing ever but can't get enough haha.

Dear O.P.

Years ago there was a comedian, Sam Kenison iirc, who talked about how lucky men were that our junk isn't detachable. Look it up, memorize it, it is your future. ;)

Pretty Little Liars, Little Women, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, How To Get Away With Murder, she watches these when I'm not around because she knows I hate them. The Bachelor, Hell's Kitchen, Sherlock and Lip Sync Battle she watches while I pay attention to something else. I might poke my head up every once in a while. We love to watch Arizona Highways, Bar Rescue and Drunk History and especially Game of Thrones and SNL together. She'll hang with me for Alaska Gold Rush, but doesn't much like Antiques Roadshow. We watch too much TV. Before I married my wonderful and very loving wife, I didn't watch anything but movies, but I wouldn't trade anything for her.

Welcome to marriage. Also you're going to also be warm, and she's going to always be cold. Which means the heat will always be too high for you. Get used to it.

Welcome to marriage. Also you're going to also be warm, and she's going to always be cold. Which means the heat will always be too high for you. Get used to it.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FgOQBJEV-k[/ame]

Easy there big fella.....just having a little fun. You should think about not braking those pills in half....I think you're ready for the full prescription dosage...

:mug:

Been with this lovely woman since '87. I dare say I've achieved a level of "used to it" that most folks can only dream about.... Brew on!

Back