I Guess my Bell's yeast is happy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pabloj13

Reaction score
Holy moley. It's a good thing I am on a stir plate or else I might launch the lid off my starter. 1.5L starter with recently harvested Bell's yeast from a Pale Ale. I guess I am good to go with my Two Hearted clone this weekend! :rockin:

IMAG0210.jpg

This is what my yeast do when I put them in a starter.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXSOD1N5lR4&feature=related]Happy Happy Joy Joy Song - YouTube[/ame]

I just follow Revvy's advice and use Malta Goya [pop the cap and pour]. So it actually only took about 1 minute. :D

^This was an attempt at humor.

For the record:
It would take approximately 4- 12 ounce bottles of Malta Goya to make a 1.5 liter starter. At $2.00 a bottle, your starter would cost you $8 + yeast = ~$15.00. You might as well just buy another vial of yeast.
DME costs about $5.00 per pound. You need around 5 ounces of DME in a 1.5 liter starter, this puts the cost of your starter at about .40 cents + yeast = ~$7.40

Unless you like to flush your money down the toilet, don't use Malta Goya to make a starter.

Perfect timing. Saturday I brewed an all Citra IPA using harvested yeast from Bells two Hearted. I stepped up the yeast 3 times over 2 weeks before pitching on Sat. Had some concerns, but lots of activity in the carboy after 18 hours, the yeasties look to be feading raveneously. OG was 1.058, where do you think my target FG should be? Around 1.018 or so?:mug:

Perfect timing. Saturday I brewed an all Citra IPA using harvested yeast from Bells two Hearted. I stepped up the yeast 3 times over 2 weeks before pitching on Sat. Had some concerns, but lots of activity in the carboy after 18 hours, the yeasties look to be feading raveneously. OG was 1.058, where do you think my target FG should be? Around 1.018 or so?:mug:

I don't know. All-grain? It's supposed to be a pretty good attenuator. Maybe lower depending on your mash temp.

I wish. DME late extract method, if it makes a difference.

it should attenuate like 1056/s-05 or thereabouts. it's definitely an aggressive yeast. i'll be taking my first FG reading on my IPA with Bell's yeast later today, so i can post back the results. there's also a few other threads around here on harvested Bell's yeast with guys posting results and some other good info about cell count in different types of Bell's beer bottles. just searching 'Bell's yeast harvest' or something similar on these forums should get you a bunch of good info.

it should attenuate like 1056/s-05 or thereabouts. it's definitely an aggressive yeast. i'll be taking my first FG reading on my IPA with Bell's yeast later today, so i can post back the results. there's also a few other threads around here on harvested Bell's yeast with guys posting results and some other good info about cell count in different types of Bell's beer bottles. just searching 'Bell's yeast harvest' or something similar on these forums should get you a bunch of good info.

I've searched but still curious to see how my FG should come out. Plz post the results when you get a chance..

just took my first FG reading, this is day 8 from brew day. i used the IPA recipe from BCS. OG was 1.065, it was a partial mash using 3# extra light DME, the rest was mashed at 149-50 for 60 mins. i use BIAB, dunk sparged into ~185 degree water to get to ~170, sparged for ten mins before combining wort in the kettle. 60 min boil. pitched a 1.75L starter stepped up from the dregs from 4 bottles of Bell's amber. fermented around 62 degrees. current gravity is 1.013 (around 80% attenuation!!!:rockin::rockin:), there's still alotta yeast in suspension, obviously, but the beer tastes great at this point. very clean, dry, very similar to what i'd expect from an IPA made with 1056 or s-05 at this point. this was my first time harvesting commercial yeast for brewing (i did it before just to see what i got in a starter), i'm very pleased so far. :mug:

glad to hear it 77. Funny, was worried about this harvest ( Amber and Oberon are better to harvest from), even after 3 step ups. Got home from work today to see beer bubbling out of my airlock 48hrs after i pitched, needed a blowoff install. Seems the yeasties are quite happy and are hitting the buffet hard.

This was a recipe I came up with, I'm using 5oz all Citra hops, dry hopping w 1oz. Smells great already..

Back