I got this Berliner Weise Idea here but?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
So someone posted a recipe (I think from 2010) that said:

• Make 10 gallons
  • Put in two 5 gallon fermenters
  • Aerate one and add BRETT keep at the correct fermentation temperature
  • DO NOT aerate the other and add Lacto and keep at room temprature
  • Mix together in about 4 weeks
  • Keg/bottle 4 weeks later

I like because it is a variation on what I was coming up with.

BUT I have never used Brett before and to tell you the truth there seems to be so many recommendations on what yeast to use; mostly I have seen a KOLSCH Yeast.

I also thought that Brett takes a long time to ferment…

Has anyone tried this method and any suggestions for the yeast?

Lacto works better in the heat. Put it in the garage if possible. As far as yeast goes, Kolsch/alt is probably traditional. US-05 or something similarly clean would work as a perfectly acceptable sub. If you want some yeast-derived character, just use whatever yeast sounds like it would be good with bracing acidity. A wiser poster than I suggested an elevated pitch rate, as the acid from the lacto will stress the sacch quite a bit.

Brett without sacch acts a lot like sacch. Maybe a little slower, but it won't drag things out forever, dry your beer out so low, or produce elevated levels of funk like it does when there's not much left to eat.

Au contraire, a mild Brett aroma and flavor are indeed typical for the style. I'm not sure you would get a "mild" character though from fermenting a full five gallon batch with Brett. I feel like I've seen it more where you add Brett, maybe just in the form of some Orval dregs, after fermentation has been going a while or into secondary.

Back