I got all this honey sitting around??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRUbaker

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a 5 gallon batch of BB Scottish Ale. I also just extracted a bunch of honey from my bees. Could i simply add 8 or so ounces of honey to the batch?

At what stage should i add it to the wort?

Thanks.

Whenever I brew with honey I add it at the last 5-mins of the boil. If you boil honey for any longer than that you'll lose all or most of the honey flavor.

DON'T boil the honey. Add it when the wort is below ~100f. Otherwise you'll lose the flavors in the honey. IF you just want sugars from it, then do boil. You don't need to boil honey at all for it to be safe.

I would add it right at knockout. In my experience, most commercial honey won't give much flavor to the beer, even in large quantities, but I bet fresh raw honey would add something special. Maybe bump up the quantity to a full pound?

A full pound added once fermentation has slowed down (2-3 weeks from when it goes active) is even better. Especially with quality honey. Use some more to prime (if bottling) and you could be pleasantly surprised.

For mead, just make sure you give it enough TIME to become great. That can be a year or better.

I add half to a pound to many brews. Just because. Off-style police are going to get me now.

B

Back