I goofed and got Cara Pils instead of Chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzanneb

Reaction score
So i lost my printed out recipe and drove all the way to the lhbs and had to try and remember my maple pecan nut brown recipe.
I ended up getting carapils instead of chocolate. not sure why but prob because a similiar recipe i was looking at had that in it.
so all my grains are milled together. and now i can either drive back a long ass way to homebrew store or just go with what i got.
the recipe i had called for 3 oz. is that a lot relatively.

also in other news. they didn't have brown malt so they recommended i get biscuit or honey malt so i got have biscuit half honey. the recipe i have called for 6 oz brown malt.

here is original recipe

http://hopville.com/recipe/542206/northern-english-brown-ale-recipes/maple-pecan-nut-brown

any ideas on what will happen. i have never used carapils before or honey or biscuit for that matter

now you can just call it a maple pecan nut amber...

not sure if that is a joke or not about the amber.
maybe it will be good.
turns out i am gonna have to wait to brew this so i could go to lhbs and get chocolate malt and brown malt and add it to the recipe.
good idea or bad idea???
j

That should be fine. The 3 oz of carapils won't really add much of anything. If you want this to be a brown, I'd say you need to get the chocolate . 3 oz of carapils doesn't do much but 3 oz of chocolate does quite a bit both in terms of color and flavor.

I'd throw the brown in there too.

not sure if that is a joke or not about the amber.
maybe it will be good.

It wasn't a joke; I was just referring to the fact that the beer will be lighter in color, and not much of a chocolatey/roasty/dark flavor that you'd have in a brown. I think it'd be closer to an amber than a brown in style and would for sure be good.

ok thanks!!

will adding the 6 oz of brown on top of the honey malt and the biscuit make it too roasted flavor????

6 oz isn't a lot, so I don't think it can go too wrong either way. I haven't used Brown Malt, and don't know if it will make a big difference... I doubt it would.

Back