I froze my beer for more alcohol, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tykreis

Reaction score
I froze my beer for more alcohol, but since there's less water, the beer is thicker.

The whole point is because alcohol has a lower freezing point than water and vice versa with melting. Since I froze it, I can drip the alcohol out, kinda like Brewdog did with their tactial nuclear penguin beer.

Here's my problem and I'm hoping you all can help me:

My FG was 1.025 and my original ABV was right at 5%, but after I froze it, the beer is WAY thicker and now my new FG is 1.070. So now I can't figure out what the ABV is since the hydrometer went the opposite way. Anyone know how to calculate this??

I tasted it, and it's definitely substantially stronger than before and tastes so much better. I kind of want to do this with every beer I brew just for the heck of it, but if I can't figure out how much alcohol is in this thing I'm going to go insane!!!!!

1.070! Ouch.

You've made an eisbier. I've done it, and probably lots of others. You want to use a small beer for a base, like a mild or a bitter.

PA170007.JPG

hahaha, that's EXACTLY how I did it too!! How did yours turn out? What beer did you use?

When I did this one time I just estimated the increased ABV by the volume loss...I got an approximately 3 fold concentration of volume, so I just tripled the original estimated ABV

Back