I finally brewed that "I nailed it" beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about four months. I have brewed approx 15 batches of beer. All have been drinkable, some better than others. I have made some that I would consider delicious, but nothing that is just knock your socks off. Until now!

7.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 20.00 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
1.00 oz Tradition [5.80 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 24.2 IBU
0.50 oz Tradition [5.80 %] (10 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
0.50 oz Tradition [5.80 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
White labs kolsch yeast for 14 days at 62-64 degrees
Cold Crash/Lager for 11 days at near freezing
5 oz of corn sugar and bottle condition at 65 for two weeks.

This is the first beer that I have brewed that I consider outstanding or spectacular. It tastes distinctly german, is crystal clear and very spritzy and delicious. It has that pilsen malt background that is very evident in beers like Urquell and Stella. I honestly can't belive I brewed this. I had to brag!

On a seperate note, due to the kolsch success I am wondering if my local water may lend itself better to lighter ales and lagers? My pale ales are good, but I have yet to really make a great one! I have a few more currently fermenting but who knows.

Due to the success of this beer I have an octoberfest style and also a schwarzbier on my brewing schedule, all using kolsch yeast and and lagering protocol for aging.

I am actually considering submitting this one in a local homebrew contest.

That's awesome...

I've been trying for that "amazing" beer myself, but it still eludes me... I'm either too picky or obsessive compulsive...

Happy for you... enjoy the fruits of your hard work!

That's awesome...

I've been trying for that "amazing" beer myself, but it still eludes me... I'm either too picky or obsessive compulsive...

Happy for you... enjoy the fruits of your hard work!

That is how I am. My friends tell me the beer is great, but I always find the flaws of know I could have done things differently to make it better. This beer I can't find anyting wrong with. The carbonation level is perfect, the balance is just right. It is literally the kind of beer that you just want to "guzzle down" for lack of a better term. Very light bodied but flavorfull.

I think part of the magic of this one was the cold lagering temp and the first wort hopping, I also started weighing out my priming sugar with this batch and I used an amount that provides a level of carbonation that is high for the style.

My gut feeling is that I have fairly soft water that works well with this style, but I am still awaiting my water report.

Glad you have a hit.

I'm working on tweaking a few recipes myself. Slow (but enjoyable) process when you consider it will be a few months to see the effects of each change you make.

Great! I really like schwarzbiers, but haven't tried using a kolsch yeast. Keep us posted.

that recipe looks tasty. it took me about 2 years to figure out how to get german styles just right, it's a great feeling isn't it? kolsch yeast rocks whether or not you can lager, it's a good substitute for german styles. I've heard good things particularly about oktoberfest beer with kolsch yeast, so have fun with that!

that recipe looks tasty. it took me about 2 years to figure out how to get german styles just right, it's a great feeling isn't it? kolsch yeast rocks whether or not you can lager, it's a good substitute for german styles. I've heard good things particularly about oktoberfest beer with kolsch yeast, so have fun with that!

I am going to start taking lager recipes and using the exact same process, except with kolsch yeast and see what happens. I think octoberfest and maibock will work great using a kolsch yeast and lagering period. I don't see why they wouldn't be great.

I have been brewing for about four months. I have brewed approx 15 batches of beer. All have been drinkable, some better than others. I have made some that I would consider delicious, but nothing that is just knock your socks off. Until now!

Congratulations! Now brew it again and see if you can brew it consistently.

Congratulations! Now brew it again and see if you can brew it consistently.

Exactly. I harvested about five jars of yeast from this batch. My garage will be 25-40 degrees for the next 3 months so I have a great opportunity to lager some beer out there. I am going to brew this one up again for sure.

It just really got me thinking that I am going to take traditional lager recipes and "kolsch" them.

My very first homebrew was an Oktoberfest with a Kolsch yeast. I brewed at my LHBS with recommendations from their in-house brewer. It turned out to be decent, but there was a bit of a strange, almost fruity note to the body. I'm not sure if it was the yeast or our admittedly lax adherence to boil times/hop addition times. JMO.

My very first homebrew was an Oktoberfest with a Kolsch yeast. I brewed at my LHBS with recommendations from their in-house brewer. It turned out to be decent, but there was a bit of a strange, almost fruity note to the body. I'm not sure if it was the yeast or our admittedly lax adherence to boil times/hop addition times. JMO.

I think the fruitiness is the result of fermenting kolsch at the higher end of the temp spectrum. I think if you were to ferment it at 61-63 over the course of 2-3 weeks you would get a very lager like end product after cold conditioning.

I think the fruitiness is the result of fermenting kolsch at the higher end of the temp spectrum. I think if you were to ferment it at 61-63 over the course of 203 weeks you would get a very lager like end product after cold conditioning.

203 weeks... that's like almost 4 years!

Don't you love it when people point out your typos? :D

Back